Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How frowned upon is this?

I was screwed over in 08 when I applied to a bank that went under and ended up jobless over the summer.

I'm looking to do an internship this summer and have two offers. I'm tempted to accept both and then just hand in my notice to my second choice a couple of weeks before I'm set to start. This way if something goes wrong with one company I have the other as a back up.

I realise I probably won't be able to work for that company for quite a while but then again there's still quite a few banks around.

ReputationRep:
    I don't see banks going underwater prior to this summer. It is unethical to accept both. The company you screwed over will contact your university's career center and blacklist you from applying again (let alone letting other banks' HRs know what sort of person you are).

Best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cool Dood)
    How frowned upon is this?

I was screwed over in 08 when I applied to a bank that went under and ended up jobless over the summer.

I'm looking to do an internship this summer and have two offers. I'm tempted to accept both and then just hand in my notice to my second choice a couple of weeks before I'm set to start. This way if something goes wrong with one company I have the other as a back up.

I realise I probably won't be able to work for that company for quite a while but then again there's still quite a few banks around.
    "A couple of weeks" borders on being labeled idiotic.
    Banks aren't going to go under - implicit guarantees are in place from respective governments.

Pick the bank you like the most.

ReputationRep:
    What if the banks HR contact each other and someone notices that you've accepted two offers? Both could be withdrawn.

Just go with whatever one pays more

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The IC Guy)
    What if the banks HR contact each other and someone notices that you've accepted two offers? Both could be withdrawn.

Just go with whatever one pays more
    Sigh...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BetterThanHeaven)
    Sigh...
    I was joking.

But just going for the higher offer is still better than accepting both.

ReputationRep:
    I bet you won't even be blacklisted in the bank you turned down... let alone in any others. For example, I got an internship offer on a bank whose internship offer I reneged two years ago.

Having said that, 2 weeks before starting is probably pushing it.

ReputationRep:
    sorry to hijack this thread (i understand where the OP is coming from though) but whats the opinion on you declining several offers from banks for an internship then if after the internship with your chosen bank you want to apply to one of the ones whom you declined, will they care that you chose someone else over them the first time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBrightShadow)
    sorry to hijack this thread (i understand where the OP is coming from though) but whats the opinion on you declining several offers from banks for an internship then if after the internship with your chosen bank you want to apply to one of the ones whom you declined, will they care that you chose someone else over them the first time?
    I was thinking this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anfitrion)
    I bet you won't even be blacklisted in the bank you turned down... let alone in any others. For example, I got an internship offer on a bank whose internship offer I reneged two years ago.

Having said that, 2 weeks before starting is probably pushing it.
    Actually spoke to some HR, they will hate you for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YYEC)
    Actually spoke to some HR, they will hate you for it.
    It varies from HR to HR, and prior relationship/how much your previous interviewers (who made you the offer from the reneged bank) like you.

Some firms black list you even if you just reject their offer...

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.