Turn on thread page Beta

Something small, but hit a nerve watch

ReputationRep:
    /Rant

Bit random this really, my housemate and I were talking and she referred to me as safe.

Now this kind of thing wouldn't normally bother me but for some reason it struck a nerve. I guess its dented my pride or something as I sort of equate "safe" with boring, straight and narrow etc. But I am by nature polite etc.

/Rant over :P

ReputationRep:
    Maybe she was trying to be all young and hip and gangster and meant "safe" as in "cool",

ReputationRep:
    Are you sure she didn't intend it in the "SAFE BLUD" kind of sense?

ReputationRep:
    If somebody is a friend or in good terms with you.

dude he is safe leave him alone

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=safe

(Original post by thegreenmonk)
    /Rant

Bit random this really, my housemate and I were talking and she referred to me as safe.

Now this kind of thing wouldn't normally bother me but for some reason it struck a nerve. I guess its dented my pride or something as I sort of equate "safe" with boring, straight and narrow etc. But I am by nature polite etc.

She could have also meant that she trusted you, as in she feels safe with you around.

ReputationRep:
    Safe generally means cool. Even if she didn't quite mean that, it sounds like a compliment (ie: you're trustworthy or a nice guy) so don't worry about it.

ReputationRep:
    she means you're safe as in you're a sick ting dyu get me, not as in boring

i know these tings
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Don't get upset by it. It wasn't a negative comment. She probably meant safe as in cool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ourlastmemory)
    If that's what she meant, and he didn't pick up on the intended meaning, he probably is pretty 'safe'. So we're back where we started.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ourlastmemory)
    Yeah, usually followed with that "Knuckle-type-handshake-greeting" those youngsters do now a days which is also known to be used in refference to "Respect" :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegreenmonk)
    /Rant

It's one of the best compliments (if she meant "safe" in the traditional sense and not the new ganstery-sense...) a girl can give a guy, IMHO. It means you're trustworthy, warm, that she feels comfortable around you. That may not sound exciting to you, but safety is really what girls (well, this girl, anyway) are after.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HoVis)
    It's one of the best compliments (if she meant "safe" in the traditional sense and not the new ganstery-sense...) a girl can give a guy, IMHO. It means you're trustworthy, warm, that she feels comfortable around you. That may not sound exciting to you, but safety is really what girls (well, this girl, anyway) are after.
    It's one f the worst things a girl can say. It's code for "I'm never, ever, EVER ging to even entertain the thought of sleeping with you... ever! But just in case you do fancy me... not going too happen... did I mention, like, never!!"

ReputationRep:
    means you're a decent person. I have no idea why you're upset about it, it doesn't mean you're boring??
    She probably meant it as "cool"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Labayu)
    It's one f the worst things a girl can say. It's code for "I'm never, ever, EVER ging to even entertain the thought of sleeping with you... ever! But just in case you do fancy me... not going too happen... did I mention, like, never!!"
    No, it's not. I would never sleep with someone with whom I didn't feel safe. Feeling safe would, in fact, be a prerequisite above all others.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 31, 2010
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.