Turn on thread page Beta

Looking to lose fat and gain muscle watch

ReputationRep:
    Can you help me out? I'm try to get rid of my excessive body fat, ******* all of it, because I'm a fat slob. I joined the gym recently but it won't be much use if I don't know what I'm doing. I'm already pretty stocky, so I'm not looking to gain much more muscle; just tone it up, especially in the stomach area and my legs. How can I do this?

I'm already eating more (but smaller) meals a day (I used to just eat two big ones), and I've done some pretty decent work on my arms and chest so far.

How can I do all of this? Do I eat more calories or less? How does cardio fit into this? Should I bother with it at all? How often should I work out?

ReputationRep:
    What's your definition of tone-ing up?:

ReputationRep:
    in my opinion you should try do a bit of cardio everyday, around twenty mins initially to forty mins, maybe more if you feel youve got more in the tank. in terms of weights to tone up its best to do moderate to low weights with high amounts of reps, 12-15 plus ish. 2 to 3 exercises per bodypart, maybe even four if you feel up to it. your gym should have some equipment to work your legs, such as a leg pressing machine. as i dont know whats in your gym the standard leg exercises that require free weights are squats and lunges.

if youve got a bit of a belly stomach exercises wont do much use unless you eat correctly and keep up the cardio. if you lower your overall body fat composition your abs will slowly begin to come through.

food wise try cut out the crap. protein heavy diet for toning up, so low amounts of carbs, pasta, bread etc.

this is all from my personal experience, i hope it helps. im sure true to form people will disagree with parts of what ive advised, maybe disagree with it all. but the above worked for me. training is quite unique in that what works for me is not guranteed to work for you. however as you continue to go and learn more, you will find out which exercises you respond best to and these should form the core of your workouts.

good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Raja1988)
    in my opinion you should try do a bit of cardio everyday, around twenty mins initially to forty mins, maybe more if you feel youve got more in the tank. in terms of weights to tone up its best to do moderate to low weights with high amounts of reps, 12-15 plus ish. 2 to 3 exercises per bodypart, maybe even four if you feel up to it. your gym should have some equipment to work your legs, such as a leg pressing machine. as i dont know whats in your gym the standard leg exercises that require free weights are squats and lunges.

if youve got a bit of a belly stomach exercises wont do much use unless you eat correctly and keep up the cardio. if you lower your overall body fat composition your abs will slowly begin to come through.

food wise try cut out the crap. protein heavy diet for toning up, so low amounts of carbs, pasta, bread etc.

this is all from my personal experience, i hope it helps. im sure true to form people will disagree with parts of what ive advised, maybe disagree with it all. but the above worked for me. training is quite unique in that what works for me is not guranteed to work for you. however as you continue to go and learn more, you will find out which exercises you respond best to and these should form the core of your workouts.

good luck
    OP ignore every ******* word of "advice" this genius has put in this post. Its so horribly misinformed its offensive. Another "low rep to cut" muppets, go back to the drawing board you clown. First of all you want to be implementing starting strength or WS4SB, lots of info on the workouts on the net. They're excellent for beginners and incorporate all exercises you will reuire. If you need a diet plan PM me and I'll give you a concise guide of the type of foods you need to be consuming. And to the dude I am quoting, why are you offering such nonsense advice when you clearly have little knowledge in the subject area, for **** sake do some research before providing it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by browser)
    wow, Bishamon, don't know if you used more post space to attack previous 'advice'- which we all know will be different especially in this area - or to actually give your own opinion which you seem to think is the law.

WS4SB....the 4SB bit is for skinny *******s. The OP stated they were a 'fat slob' and did not want to add much muscle....

Now instead of giving my own advice as I am already expecting enough abuse, I would recommend heading over (or getting a copy of) Men's Health (menshealth.co.uk) or Men's Fitness (mensfitness.com). You can get a good range of workout tips from professionals (rather than students on a forum) depending on what your ultimate goals are...

Hope you find what you're looking for....
    Wow I have been criticized by a guy who encourages one to buy Mens Fitness, wow you are a ******* idiot. Jesus Christ. Indeed most of my post space is indeed wasted on criticizing other advice because it is WRONG. When it is WRONG expect to be CORRECTED. If there were not so many idiots who believe they knew what the **** they were talking about, even though they didnt, I would not have to.

WS4SB is a resistance training regime and doing it wont automatically cause you to bulk up you ******* tool. If he incorporates the workout with a cardiovascular routine and the right meals he will lose the weight. There is no such thing as "unique" advice, we're all for the most part the ******* same and that ******** is only peddled by either the clueless (like yourself) or the lazy who need excuses. My opinion is the ******* law in this area and if you are prepared to ignore it then be prepared to see no progress.

OP, if you want good knowledge PM me or the other regulars. We, and only we, are the ones you should be listening to. Every other poster in this forum is a clown and listening to them will only impede your progress.

I am sorry if that offends you but the sooner you hear it the better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bishamon)
    Wow I have been criticized by a guy who encourages one to buy Mens Fitness, wow you are a ******* idiot. Jesus Christ. Indeed most of my post space is indeed wasted on criticizing other advice because it is WRONG. When it is WRONG expect to be CORRECTED. If there were not so many idiots who believe they knew what the **** they were talking about, even though they didnt, I would not have to.

WS4SB is a resistance training regime and doing it wont automatically cause you to bulk up you ******* tool. If he incorporates the workout with a cardiovascular routine and the right meals he will lose the weight. There is no such thing as "unique" advice, we're all for the most part the ******* same and that ******** is only peddled by either the clueless (like yourself) or the lazy who need excuses. My opinion is the ******* law in this area and if you are prepared to ignore it then be prepared to see no progress.

OP, if you want good knowledge PM me or the other regulars. We, and only we, are the ones you should be listening to. Every other poster in this forum is a clown and listening to them will only impede your progress.

I am sorry if that offends you but the sooner you hear it the better.
    LOL someone got out of the wrong side of bed this morning....

ReputationRep:
    http://articles.muscletalk.co.uk/losing-fat.aspx

first one too many protein shakes in...2nd diet looks pretty good....you may want to swap some of the food for a protein shake though...so say you have 2 protein shakes a day..maybe 3 on a training day.

ReputationRep:
    WS4SB....the 4SB bit is for skinny *******s. The OP stated they were a 'fat slob' and did not want to add much muscle....
    If we're going to get pedantic the OP specifies that he wants to gain muscle in the thread title. Lean muscle gain will have the effect of making someone appear leaner even if they lose little or no bodyfat.

Sceondly if all the guy is interested in is fat loss a decent resistance training regime (eg; WS4SB) will help to conserve muscle and enhance fat loss.

Now instead of giving my own advice as I am already expecting enough abuse, I would recommend heading over (or getting a copy of) Men's Health (menshealth.co.uk) or Men's Fitness (mensfitness.com). You can get a good range of workout tips from professionals (rather than students on a forum) depending on what your ultimate goals are...
    MensHealth and MensFitness (or indeed any of the 'fitness' rags) are full of crap, generic and sometimes even wrong advice. Think about it, if they were that good all of the readers (and editors) would be uber fit, uber strong, extremely muscular, have a six pack, etc - I can assure you that that is far from the case. The vast majority of the MH or MF staff have little or no sporting background and/or expertise in the field.

caveat emptor

There is much better advice and literature out there, including talking to one of the regulars here.

wow, Bishamon, don't know if you used more post space to attack previous 'advice'- which we all know will be different especially in this area - or to actually give your own opinion which you seem to think is the law.

Hope you find what you're looking for....
    Fishing? If so, that's the best Fitness troll I've seen in a long time! Good work.

(Original post by Rainy)
    Fishing? If so, that's the best Fitness troll I've seen in a long time! Good work.
    It's not hard to troll Bishamon too be fair, wasted when it could have been used on someone else :p:.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rucklo)
    It's not hard to troll Bishamon too be fair, wasted when it could have been used on someone else :p:.
    Yeah I mean its an E for effort, I'm like the most trollable guy here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Holly Hiskey)
    LOL someone got out of the wrong side of bed this morning....
    He must get out of the wrong side of bed every morning then :lol:

He is always like that :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 7777777)
    He must get out of the wrong side of bed every morning then :lol:

He is always like that :ninja:
    Must be a joy to live with lol

ReputationRep:
    IT'S THE ROIDS.

Seriously though good troll. Reccommending high reps to tone AND men's health?

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.