Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Should students be told that while studying subjects like english and drama is fun and interesting, they also need to try hard with less fun subjects like science and foreign languages and not drop them at the first opportunity because they will be useful in later life and in work?

Should schools and unis try less to keep students interested with popular subjects and emphasis they need to prepare for work and later life by studying more challenging and less fun subjects?

ReputationRep:
    If it was fun, I probably wouldn't learn anything.

ReputationRep:
    You're kind of missing the point. What people find fun andinteresting differs from person to person. A greater effort should be made to make ALL subjects fun and interesting.

ReputationRep:
    I think it all depends on the teacher. I love English Language and Drama because my teachers are so good!

ReputationRep:
    I suppose it all depends on what one would deem as being "fun." More "challenging subjects" need not be any less fun than drama or art. I've never found English lessons interesting - everything about them is off-putting but that's because I dislike the method of teaching used at school (at my school). I find things like "your finger nail just grew 1x10^-9m in the time it took you to read the above" interesting...

ReputationRep:
    I believe that once the very basics are out of the way (primary school and perhaps early secondary school study), students should be free to increase their knowledge in whichever aspects THEY most want to.

That said, every teacher should strive to make their subject interesting and enjoyable, and to prove its worth to others. I see no issue with a student only making an effort in drama, if that's all they enjoy, but his or her maths teacher, without being forceful, should try to engage him/her in their lessons too.

ReputationRep:
    You should enjoy learning about stuff, certainly, but that doesn't mean making "less fun" things more conventionally fun.

ReputationRep:
    no but it also shouldn't be mind numbingly boring.
    they should seperate kids into the ways they learn, i.e just reading, or just writing, or practical activities etc etc rather than 'ability'

ReputationRep:
    In agreement with other posters above; yes education should be fun and interesting. What is fun and interesting varies per person so you're not going to get a consensus probably. Some people would enjoy a more practical education in a subject (say one of the sciences) whereas others might prefer a socratic style of teaching in a classroom. There's the need to be efficient in whatever method is chosen aswell so even if the practical style of more fun it doesn't really help if you only get half the work done you would otherwise. Which I imagine is quite a problem at times with national curriculum and exam demands.

ReputationRep:
    Have you not heard all the radio adverts trying to get people to do science and maths by making them sound more fun and interesting? But how can fun can you make differentiation or bionomial expansion? It all depends on what kind of person you are; some find gaining knowledge interesting whilst others are content at doing whatever is easiest. The easier subjects tend to be more fun.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by Maker)
    Should students be told that while studying subjects like english and drama is fun and interesting, they also need to try hard with less fun subjects like science and foreign languages and not drop them at the first opportunity because they will be useful in later life and in work?

Should schools and unis try less to keep students interested with popular subjects and emphasis they need to prepare for work and later life by studying more challenging and less fun subjects?
    Firstly, some people find subjects like the sciences and maths more fun than English and drama.

Secondly, I don't think anyone at uni should be studying something they're not interested in anyway.

Thirdly, not everyone will find the sciences useful in later life and work. I think that the sciences classrooms should only be filled by people who actually want to make a career out of subjects which are based on the sciences. That way, they won't have to dilute things in order to make it more interesting to short sighted people who really couldn't give a ****.

ReputationRep:
    nah education is a piss take. It's a way to avoid a hard days graft. Most of you would crumble in the real world.

ReputationRep:
    A mixture. There are times for fun and times for shutting up and getting on with it.

ReputationRep:
    If it ain't fun, you ain't learning.

Inb4 grammarians.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.