Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    why will the following code not print properly

\begin{align}
    \theta_0 &= L^{-2}e^{-2a} \left( \left( \dot{a} P_{\text{sym}} + a' U_{\text{sym}} - \dot{P_{\text{sym}}} - P_{\text{sym}}{}^2 + \left( \star P \right) \left[ \epsilon, P \right] \right) \omega^0 \nonumber &+ \left( a'P_{\text{sym}} + \dot{a} U_{\text{sym}} - P_{\text{sym}}{}'-P_{\text{sym}}U_{\text{sym}} + \left( \star U \right) \left[ \epsilon, P \right] \right) \omega^1 \right) \wedge \omega
    \end{align}

i have a feeling its because i split it over two lines and then the brackets dont match up but ive been staring at it for about an hour now and can't see the problem

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by latentcorpse)

\begin{align}
    \theta_0 &= L^{-2}e^{-2a} \left( \left( \dot{a} P_{\text{sym}} + a' U_{\text{sym}} - \dot{P_{\text{sym}}} - P_{\text{sym}}{}^2 + \left( \star P \right) \left[ \epsilon, P \right] \right) \omega^0 \nonumber &+ \left( a'P_{\text{sym}} + \dot{a} U_{\text{sym}} - P_{\text{sym}}{}'-P_{\text{sym}}U_{\text{sym}} + \left( \star U \right) \left[ \epsilon, P \right] \right) \omega^1 \right) \wedge \omega
    \end{align}

i have a feeling its because i split it over two lines and then the brackets dont match up but ive been staring at it for about an hour now and can't see the problem
    Which software are you inputting this into?

And that double-bracket I've put in bold,. is it meant to be there?

ReputationRep:
    (was expecting a thread on condoms... or gloves)

ReputationRep:

\begin{align}
    \end{align}

You are correct it is due to the splitting of brackets across multiple lines. I don't have latex on this pc so I cant test this to make sure it displays but try this.

\begin{align}
    \theta_0 &= L^{-2}e^{-2a} \left( \left( \dot{a} P_{\text{sym}} + a' U_{\text{sym}} - \dot{P_{\text{sym}}} - P_{\text{sym}}{}^2 + \left( \star P \right) \left[ \epsilon, P \right] \right) \omega^0
    \right).
    \nonumber \\ &+
    \left(.
    \left( a'P_{\text{sym}} + \dot{a} U_{\text{sym}} - P_{\text{sym}}{}'-P_{\text{sym}}U_{\text{sym}} + \left( \star U \right) \left[ \epsilon, P \right] \right) \omega^1 \right) \wedge \omega
    \end{align}

Note in your original you weren't telling latex to break the line anywhere so I've inserted \\ and just before and after I've added \right). and \left(. these are dud brackets that trick it into doing what you want.

Hope it works, if not let me know

ReputationRep:
    double bracket is meant to be there. it's to space the superscript to the right of the subscript

i.e. P_{\text{sym}}{}^2 not P_{\text{sym}}^2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathematician!)
    Which software are you inputting this into?
    Presumably the LaTeX IDE...

Have you tried the Binary Mountain approach? Take out half of the code, if it works, then you've removed the bit that's broken. If not, then you're left with the half that's broken. Go through a second iteration, then a third, until you get down to the bit that's causing your problem

ReputationRep:
    well the \left(. and \right). got rid of all the errors but they don't appear to be "dud" - they are showing up in the pdf display

ReputationRep:
    Try just inserting \left. \right.

ReputationRep:
    ok the \left and \right thing has solved that.

now the only problem is that the brackets don't match up in sizes before and after the line split even though i used \left( and \right)

ReputationRep:
    That's to be expected; not much you can really do about it unless you switch to manual sizing.

double bracket is meant to be there. it's to space the superscript to the right of the subscript

i.e. P_{\text{sym}}{}^2 not P_{\text{sym}}^2
    You can do this in a slightly nicer way: {P_{\text{sym}}}^2.

ReputationRep:
    cheers for the P^2 thing.

i've got it to display nice but i'm still getting 28 errors when i run and they're all apparently related to missing brackets and stuff but i just can't find them
    here's my code:

\begin{align}
    \theta^0{}_1 &= L^{-2}e^{-2a} \left \{ \left( a'' - \ddot{a} \right) \omega^0 \wedge \omega^1 - \left( \star \left[ P_{\text{sym}}, U_{\text{sym}} \right] \right) \omega^2 \wedge \omega^3 \right \} \\
    \theta_0 &= L^{-2}e^{-2a} \biggl\{ \biggl( \dot{a} P_{\text{sym}} + a' U_{\text{sym}} - \dot{P}_{\text{sym}} - {P_{\text{sym}}}^2 + \left( \star P \right) \left[ \epsilon, P \right] \biggr) \omega^0 \right \\ \nonumber &+ \biggl( a'P_{\text{sym}} + \dot{a} U_{\text{sym}} - {P_{\text{sym}}}'-P_{\text{sym}}U_{\text{sym}} + \left( \star U \right) \left[ \epsilon, P \right] \biggr) \omega^1 \biggr\} \wedge \omega \\
    \theta_1 &= L^{-2}e^{-2a} \biggl\{ \biggl( a' U_{\text{sym}} + \dot{a} P_{\text{sym}} - {U_{\text{sym}}}' - {U_{\text{sym}}}^2 + \left( \star \right) \left[ \epsilon, U \right] \biggr) \omega^1 \right \\ \nonumber &+ \left \biggl( \dot{a} U_{\text{sym}} + a'P_{\text{sym}} - \dot{U}_{\text{sym}} - U_{\text{sym}}P_{\text{sym}} + \left( \star P \right) \left[ \epsilon, U \right] \biggr) \omega^0 \biggr\} \wedge \omega \\
    \theta &= L^{-2}e^{-2a} \left( \left[ U, P \right]_{\text{asym}} \omega^0 \wedge \omega^1 + \left( \text{det} U_{\text{sym}} - \text{det} P_{\text{sym}} \right) \omega \wedge \omega \right)
    \end{align}

and the display:

\begin{align}

\theta^0{}_1 &= L^{-2}e^{-2a} \left \{ \left( a'' - \ddot{a} \right) \omega^0 \wedge \omega^1 - \left( \star \left[ P_{\text{sym}}, U_{\text{sym}} \right] \right) \omega^2 \wedge \omega^3 \right \} \\

\theta_0 &= L^{-2}e^{-2a} \biggl\{ \biggl( \dot{a} P_{\text{sym}} + a' U_{\text{sym}} - \dot{P}_{\text{sym}} - {P_{\text{sym}}}^2 + \left( \star P \right) \left[ \epsilon, P \right] \biggr) \omega^0 \right \\ \nonumber &+ \biggl( a'P_{\text{sym}} + \dot{a} U_{\text{sym}} - {P_{\text{sym}}}'-P_{\text{sym}}U_{\text{sym}} + \left( \star U \right) \left[ \epsilon, P \right] \biggr) \omega^1 \biggr\}  \wedge \omega \\

\theta_1 &= L^{-2}e^{-2a} \biggl\{ \biggl( a' U_{\text{sym}} + \dot{a} P_{\text{sym}} - {U_{\text{sym}}}' - {U_{\text{sym}}}^2 + \left( \star \right) \left[ \epsilon, U \right] \biggr) \omega^1 \right \\ \nonumber &+ \left \biggl( \dot{a} U_{\text{sym}} + a'P_{\text{sym}} - \dot{U}_{\text{sym}} - U_{\text{sym}}P_{\text{sym}} + \left( \star P \right) \left[ \epsilon, U \right] \biggr) \omega^0 \biggr\} \wedge \omega \\

\theta &= L^{-2}e^{-2a} \left( \left[ U, P \right]_{\text{asym}} \omega^0 \wedge \omega^1 + \left( \text{det} U_{\text{sym}} - \text{det} P_{\text{sym}} \right) \omega \wedge \omega \right)

\end{align}
    doesn't work here. but it does on TeXnicCenter which is what i'm using.

thanks for any help.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 1, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.