Turn on thread page Beta

Will I fail at life if I don't go to university? watch

ReputationRep:
    I started college last September and I am in first year. Everyone seems to be going on about what university to goto and everything but for some reason, it just doesn't appeal to me. I'm working hard on my lessons and I am targeted mainly Bs.

I just feel like I would prefer to get out there and start a career and I know University would do wonders for that but as I said, it doesn't appeal to me. I was thinking through what I would like to do and I currently think starting a career in a mobile phone shop is the way for me to go. With my current lessons at Photography, ICT, film and media, I am unsure whether I could even get considered for a job there.

My main question is, should I go to university even though I don't really want to.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely. You only win at life if you make yourself unhappy.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. give it a try. If your not happy you can drop out anytime

ReputationRep:
    If you don't want to then don't go.
    A lot of people can get well paid jobs without going to Uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pisaman2)
    I started college last September and I am in first year. Everyone seems to be going on about what university to goto and everything but for some reason, it just doesn't appeal to me. I'm working hard on my lessons and I am targeted mainly Bs.

I just feel like I would prefer to get out there and start a career and I know University would do wonders for that but as I said, it doesn't appeal to me. I was thinking through what I would like to do and I currently think starting a career in a mobile phone shop is the way for me to go. With my current lessons at Photography, ICT, film and media, I am unsure whether I could even get considered for a job there.

My main question is, should I go to university even though I don't really want to.
    If you don't want to go then it would probably be a huge waste of money, especially as you won't try as hard as you should and would probably come out with a rubbish grade. Just finish your A levels to the best of your ability, go out into the big wide world, try and find a job and just go from there. You might find that your work place might sponsor you to do a degree in that area to move you up in the workplace after a few years or something? It happens, although I think it's reasonably rare. I don't know. It happened to my friend's mum, so I don't see why they wouldn't do it for people younger.

ReputationRep:
    No. You should go to university because you want to go, not because you feel pressurised into it. Leave school and start a job. Don't waste three years of your life in further education when you could be, not only doing something you enjoy more, but building on a future career. Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    It costs so much so I'd say only go if you really want to. You don't, so don't. It's not like if you change your mind in the future you can't go.

ReputationRep:
    You don't need much qualifications to work in a mobile phone shop, certainly not a degree. People with just GCSEs can get in there. If you don't want to and you're adamant that this is the job you'd like then there's not much point going. Don't go just because you think it's some obligation, going to uni for the sake of going to uni. Make sure you've evaluated what you want in the future though, and not to be rude but working in a phone shop isn't a career...it's more like a job.

ReputationRep:
    No you won't fail at life. If university doesn't appeal to you, don't go; you could look in to going to a university near you and living at home, that way it might seem like less university for you and be less daunting.

ReputationRep:
    No, plenty of people are successful without going to university.

Don't feel you should just because your school, friends, society tells you to.

If you don't want to go then don't as it would be hard to do well with no desire to be there and you'd have a load of debt. Which would in your case be pointless debt.

Good luck with your future choices

P.S. I'm sure you could easily get considered for a job there.

ReputationRep:
    Did Sir Alan Sugar fail?

Although it is not a prerequisite to become successful; going to university does improve your chances colossally of succeeding in life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Playboy King)
    You don't need much qualifications to work in a mobile phone shop, certainly not a degree. People with just GCSEs can get in there. If you don't want to and you're adamant that this is the job you'd like then there's not much point going. Don't go just because you think it's some obligation, going to uni for the sake of going to uni. Make sure you've evaluated what you want in the future though, and not to be rude but working in a phone shop isn't a career...it's more like a job.
    You can make a career out of working in retail; work your way up.

OP, do whatever you want. If you go to uni just because you feel you should, you're most likely not going to enjoy it. Plenty of people are successful in their careers (and life in general) without having a degree.

ReputationRep:
    I started uni at 30 so no reason you can't if you want to in the future. Get out there, earn some dosh, do some travelling and hopefully figure out what you want for the future.

Enjoy!

ReputationRep:
    Depends by what you consider success. Then again there are careers where University is just a path amongst many.

ReputationRep:
    No!

wayne rooney. stupid as ****. but i would switch with him anyday.

ReputationRep:
    University isn't for everyone. Do whatever you are happy with

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacky_B)
    University isn't for everyone. Do whatever you are happy with
    Exactly what I was going to say !

Look, there are many many many people who have been successful without going to university. You can work your way up to the very top; I know someone who started a job as a mail sorter for royal mail and now is pretty much as high up as you can be on a very good amount of money and he is only 35. He joined the royal mail about the age of 19 as was far less qualified than you are currently.

The great thing about university also is that, you can go whenever you want. If you feel you've made a mistake or whatever later in life you can join as a mature student. This is very attractive to employers as well.

Do want you feel like doing at the time. I think a great idea would be to take a gap year, go travelling, do as much work experience as you can in a field you are interested in and find out what you would need to do to work there. Then you can make a well-informed decision and be sure you're making the right choice.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 31, 2010
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.