dropping out and re-applying for 2011. Watch

raisin.
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
i'm seriously starting to consider doing this.

i'm currently at sussex, and whilst i enjoy my course and am certain it's what i want to do, i'm not very happy at the university itself and i really wish i'd taken a gap year now. i rushed into making my choices, and whilst it's not completely terrible where i am, i know i'll have a lot of regrets if i don't do what makes me happy.

would it be silly to leave now (or at easter), spend a year and a half working/looking for work experience and reapply for 2011?

i've had a lot of personal issues during the last few years and i want to get myself properly sorted out so that i can give my degree 100% when i try again. ultimately, i'd really like to get into clinical but i know a lot of experience is needed, so i also thought a year and a half out could be an ideal opportunity to do some voluntary work whilst having a part-time job to save up for possible post grad stuff.

i got AAA at a level (psychology, sociology, english language) which i was predicted but wasn't really expecting, so i applied to 'lower' universities first time round than i otherwise would have. i'd do things differently next time, but i am slightly worried about what the universities will think of me dropping out first time round.

any advice?
WEB
Badges: 12
Report 8 years ago
ask the 'higher' universities that you want to go to what their policy is on this issue otherwise you could find yourself in the terrible position of leaving the course you were attending but also not being accepted anywhere else.
good luck
GodspeedGehenna
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Apply for a transfer into the second year?

(Original post by raisin.)
i'd really like to get into clinical but i know a lot of experience is needed, so i also thought a year and a half out could be an ideal opportunity to do some voluntary work whilst having a part-time job to save up for possible post grad stuff.
You can do this while studying. I did.
raisin.
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
Apply for a transfer into the second year?

You can do this while studying. I did.
i did consider applying for a transfer, but i don't think it's a great idea because obviously the course will be slightly different and i don't think i'd feel very settled. i have a lot going on at the moment, and i think i'd find it difficult to slot into a new university where friends and groups had already been made and i didn't know anyone. i know i could get a part-time job/do voluntary work whilst studying, but ideally i need to be able to work quite frequently and for an extended period of time in order to save up.

i just don't feel in the 'right' place for university at the moment, which is my own issue - i know. obviously though, i want to sort things out and make sure i'm 100% happy/ready when i give it a go next time.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (879)
79.84%
Leave (222)
20.16%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed