Turn on thread page Beta

Student finance for applying in Scotland watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, just came across a slight problem.
    I am in England and am applying through student finance england.
    The course I want to do is actuarial science at heriot watt university. It is my main course that I want to do.
    I have a problem that when it asks for my course details, I type in the course code and the institution code but end up getting no search results.
    I just tried entering the institution code which resulted in me finding the university. When I click on it, it gives me a list of courses by alphabetical orde which is great but there are no courses actually listed!!
    I went through each letter of the alphabet and it keeps saying there are no courses starting with the letter.
    When I tried leeds university (what might be my insurance), I got a list of all the courses and I was able to select the correct course. This suggest that it is just heriot watt uni.
    Heriot watt still doesn't come up with any courses no matter how many times I try it.
    Is this an error or because it is a scottish university?
    I am sure I am doing everything right and have searched and entered each thing individually such as the course code, campus code and tried everything I can but to no avail.
    Can you please help?
    Thanks you very much for your time and I hope it made sense.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like your university have not added any courses to the SLC database for 2010/11

You can either check each week to see when the courses are up or you could ring the university and speak to the registry department.

What you want to know from them is who is responsible for submitting the details of all of their courses to the SLC and if they have any idea when it will be done.

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    are you applying for a student loan or a maintenance grant ?

Btw, I have applied to study Actuarial Science at Heriot-Watt next year too and I have recieved an conditional offer already, so we, may as well meet there
    I have applied to Leeds and Kent as well, but atm Heriot-Watt is my first option.
    I am going to visit Leeds and Edinburgh in March and then I will see, which one I go for..

I don't really know how to help you with your problem as I haven't done this yet, but I will likely, start doing it soon.

ReputationRep:
    I have had a similar problem, though I'm a returning student; I will speak to the people who are responsible for such things this afternoon and report back.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently, the tuition fees for Scottish universities have not been decided by Parliament yet, and until this is done they can't send the information to the SLC. Joined up thinking, eh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sandettielightvessel)
    Apparently, the tuition fees for Scottish universities have not been decided by Parliament yet, and until this is done they can't send the information to the SLC. Joined up thinking, eh?
    Does this mean that they could increase to something like UK level ?
    That would be quite dissapointing..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by surfista)
    Does this mean that they could increase to something like UK level ?
    That would be quite dissapointing..
    Doubtful. Tuition fees are set every year, generally to rise slightly with inflation.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks very much everyone. The help was really appreciated. I thought I was doing something wrong.
    Btw, I will be going to the Heriot-Watt open day in a weeks time and also Leeds.

@surfista: I also applied to heriot-watt, leeds and kent. I also got all my conditional offers from them so assuming all goes well, I will see you there. Should be great fun.

Thanks everyone. I am thinking it is because of the tuition fees not being set but I am still awaiting a response to the email I have sent to their department.
    I don't think the tuition fees will rise more than £100 and that is if they do rise. I think it will remain at the £1820/£1900 mark but we might have to wait and see.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.