Turn on thread page Beta

Worried / Paranoid About Catching Something watch

Hey everyone,

Basically, i'm a gay male aged 23 and i'm worrying myself stupid that I may have some sort of infection or that i'm gonna catch HIV or something.

So far, i've only ever had full on sex with two guys and I was in the "Top" position and used condoms both times. However, I kinda of went off the rails a couple of years ago and used to get drunk and get off with random guys. Usually it would results in a bit of Oral mainly recieveing and kissing.

Anyway, I keep thinking that i've got an STI or something. I looked a website about HIV and it listed the symptoms of Fatigue, Lump On Neck, Muscle Ache and a having a cold etc and I have all these symptoms. Anyway, what are the chances you can catch HIV through Oral? I've read something about having bleeding gums and ocassionally I do get bleeding gums and it's starting to worry me even more.

Basically, what are the procedures of going to a GUM Clinic and does it hurt. Also, i'm embarrassed about my "Size". It's alright when erect but when soft i'm really small and worried about them seeing it.

Part of me thinks i'm being over paranoid but the other half thinks i've been a total idiot and should get checked out.

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

unfortunaly most things are possible, the easiest way to settle you nerves is to get it checked out. Now I dont know what the difference is between a gay and straight STI test (prob nothing) but I have had a few sexual partners, all female, I had to get checked out as a precaution about a year back. All they did was take a sample from the tip of my penis, a urine test and a blood test for HIV. They give you the results for the Normal ones there and then. Its that simple.

With regards to the bleeding gums... id say about 1 in 3 people have that. They all do not have HIV. If your worried - go get checked. In the UK its free. If you do have anything its not usually anything that a dose of antibiotics cant fix. The worst thing you can do it google you symptoms lol id have every illness and disease in the book. Go get checked, its worth the peace of mind.

P.s the DR will have seen worse, Smaller, Smellier, dried up old cocks than you can imagine. Get it out, who cares what he thinks hes ur DR he cant tell anyone.

L

ReputationRep:
    you need to get checked out. It simply weeing in a pot and then for HIV its a prick test on your thumb.

ReputationRep:
    Every symptom has been attributed to HIV.

Fatigue is from your diet, habits or not sleeping enough or constantly being woken by an alarm clock.

The lump on your neck could be something like a spot or easily just a swollen lymph node.

Muscle ache will go with the fatigue.

And, surprise surprise, all the symptoms I've just listed are associated with the cold you mentioned. Btw, everyone gets colds. It's flu season.

Bleeding gums is called gum disease, which is cured with corsodyl mouthwash.

Now, as for the STD test: A full test requires peeing in a cup, a standard blood test and a little thing being put a bit into your peehole and turned for a second. Yes that bit hurts but if the pain lasts only a second literally, does it actually hurt? It's theoretically just a memory.

For HIV tests, wait 3 months since your last possible infection (when you last had unprotected sex with someone, for example), then have the HIV test (again). You may also have an HIV test again 3 months later to rule out the uber-rare possibility that your antibodies took more than the 3 month window to develop and took 6 months, if and when your HIV test comes back negative.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    What they said, plus...

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Anyway, what are the chances you can catch HIV through Oral?
    The argument is ongoing, but the answer is somewhere between 'nil' and 'very very very low'. If they didn't come in your mouth, either because it was them sucking you or they came elsewhere, it will be at the nil end.

You can find HIV project workers I otherwise respect saying it might be higher (still only 'very low', mind) but that tends to be based on a bit of research that had a few dodgy assumptions and whose range of possible values for its results went from 'very very very low' to 'very low' and decided to go with the latter.

Basically, what are the procedures of going to a GUM Clinic and does it hurt. Also, i'm embarrassed about my "Size". It's alright when erect but when soft i'm really small and worried about them seeing it.
    Anyone working in sexual health sees lots of penises and really does not care about the size of any of them. If you want it to look bigger soft, trim your pubic hair.

See elsewhere here for what happens, but it should be 'uncomfortable' at worst (I really don't like getting throat swabs and that's no worse than uncomfortable for me).

HIV tests have got more sensitive since the 'wait three months' guideline - six weeks should be enough now.

Thanks guys. Definatly going to go and get checked out. I just think i'm being overly paranoid. None of the guys that I sucked off came in my mouth as the thought of someones jizz in my mouth disgusts me. I have come in other guys mouths though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thanks guys. Definatly going to go and get checked out. I just think i'm being overly paranoid. None of the guys that I sucked off came in my mouth as the thought of someones jizz in my mouth disgusts me. I have come in other guys mouths though.
    I think the only risk with oral is if there's blood involved. Like if both have a sore or cut in their mouth/on his penis.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 3, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.