Heeeeelp !!! Migrant Worker status UK !!! Watch

patkwie
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Hi all
I am doing my degree in UK and it is my 3rd year. Last year I have been classified as migrant worker. This year I have applied again for all grands and they have some problems now. I have not changed my work until last year and all is the same. Can you tell me is it possible to lose migrant worker status like that ???
What I need to do now ?? what you all suggest for me now ??
Regards Patryk
ASCIIcipher
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The new migrant worker unit (MWU) at SLC has recently taken over the processing of all migrant worker applications from local councils

Sounds like your local council considered you to be a migrant worker last year but the MWU have decided that you do not meet the definition of a migrant worker.

All you can do is appeal to them.

Did the write you a letter telling you why you are no longer getting full funding?
How many hours a week are you working at the moment?
patkwie
Hi
Right now I am doing from 24 to 48 hours a week so it is a full time work.
I am in England three years already so I heard I am a English student now ? is it true
On my first year someone from university told me that I can apply for migrant worker after three years in UK under the act ( hire somebodies name I do not remember the name) but it was mean a 'home student' or something similar.
hypocriticaljap
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by patkwie)
Hi
Right now I am doing from 24 to 48 hours a week so it is a full time work.
I am in England three years already so I heard I am a English student now ? is it true
On my first year someone from university told me that I can apply for migrant worker after three years in UK under the act ( hire somebodies name I do not remember the name) but it was mean a 'home student' or something similar.
You have to have been here for 3 years before your course started.
patkwie
But it is not true in the acts is says That you have to work before start University or strongly looking for a job. The period of three years time is not that important. For example my friends come to UK 1.5 year ago brother and sister. They have the same Uni start date the same job in Restaurant She got the grand he did not ?????
I have been working before Uni now Iam more than three years I do not understand them !!!
hypocriticaljap
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I think you've been misled. See
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Educatio...ries/DG_065322
patkwie
EEA and Swiss migrant workers

You may also be eligible for financial help with tuition fees if you are an EEA or Swiss migrant worker or self-employed person in the UK. A migrant worker is someone who is not a national of the country they're working in.

You may qualify for EEA or Swiss migrant worker status if all the following apply:
you are a national of an EEA country or Switzerland
you are working in the UK
you will have been ‘ordinarily resident’ in the EEA and Switzerland for at least three years when you start your course

You may also qualify if you are a family member of an EEA or Swiss migrant worker in the UK.

So I have been ordinarily resident in the EEA that is in Poland before I started my degree
now Iam working in UK and Iam national of EEA
hypocriticaljap
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Don't you have to work a minimum of 30 hours a week and have been working here before you applied for university?
patkwie
yes I been working before Uni and Iam working now as well so what you think Iam able to apply ?
hypocriticaljap
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Seems that it is a different department doing the assessments now and they are interpreting the rules differently.
patkwie
But what do you think in the Law Iam able to apply should be no any problems. I think the best way is to write to them official letter with some acts etc and wait what the will say. what do you think ?
hypocriticaljap
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
They may well reply that they are just interpreting the law as it was meant to be interpreted and previous years were wrong.
ASCIIcipher
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by hypocriticaljap)
They may well reply that they are just interpreting the law as it was meant to be interpreted and previous years were wrong.
This is almost certainly the case.
patkwie
They send me lettetr to re-send them p60 and my contract so I will try. I have been contacted with my solicitor maybe I will win I hope
anderlondon
Report 8 years ago
Hi guys,

I am a Spanish national (therefore member of the EEA) who's ordinarily lived in the UK from the 26th of August, 2007. I am classified as an EU student because I hadn't been living in the UK for the last 3 years prior the beginning of my course (1st of September, 2009). However, I worked full-time for two years before and I worked part-time for the same employer throughout the first year of uni. So, my original residency in the UK wasn't to study.
I already applied for 2010/11 tuition fees loan and maintenance support loan. They accepted the tuition fees loan, however they rejected the maintenance support. After doing my research on the EEA migrant worker eligibility criteria- I think I am qualified for it.
My question is: What do I need to send to SLC to proof that I am a EEA migrant worker? what documents? Isn't there any application form or anything that can give me the EEA migrant worker status and therefore get the financial support? I need nothing from the Home Office since that only applies to certain Easter European countries that joined the EU later.
I would appreciate if you could give me a hand! thank you.
hypocriticaljap
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Doesn't your status stay as it was when you started the course?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (230)
27.64%
No (602)
72.36%

Watched Threads