Turn on thread page Beta

How Do I Install An OS On HDD1 But Have Everything Else Set DefaultTo HDD2? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I just purchased a 500GB Sata HDD, and also have the original 80GB Sata HDD from the PC I'm useing right now.

I wanted to make a reinstallment of Windows XP Pro SP3, but I have a very strange request.

I wanted to know, is there a way to just install an OS on HDD1 (80GB) yet have everything else set like my defualt programs, documents and Desktop items on HDD2?

The reason I ask this is for HDD accsess time. I mean, I hate it when it takes 2 minutes for XP to load after 10 or so programs are installed, or when I have a desktop full of files and loading times are effected becuase its trying to read and write to the same HDD at the same time.

I hope I made sense.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, sure, all you have to do is select the second hard drive as the install location when installing all your programs again. You can also move the location of your My Documents folder by right clicking -> properties.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JayEm)
    Yeah, sure, all you have to do is select the second hard drive as the install location when installing all your programs again. You can also move the location of your My Documents folder by right clicking -> properties.
    Hey, thanks. All I wanna do is leave HDD1 just for the OS and its updates. I wanted to movie the actuall folder Program Files and Documents and Settings to HDD2. Pretty much everything apart from the Win folders.

Any advice?

ReputationRep:
    when you install programs, change the install folder?

ReputationRep:
    For programs, change the folder at install time
    For documents, right click my documents, then choose properties > target and give it a target on the other drive in the set target thing.

If you want to change the default program files folder, then go into the registry, and change ProgramFilesDir to the location you want. Without the extra \ on the end.

ReputationRep:
    He thanks evil monkey (lol)

How to I find the registry to change the default folders? I also wanted to change the documents and settings too. Can I do it from the same registry?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrvn)
    He thanks evil monkey (lol)

How to I find the registry to change the default folders? I also wanted to change the documents and settings too. Can I do it from the same registry?
    Press the Windows Key + R, type "regedit" then press enter.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, thanks for that, really appriciate it. Just one more Q. What is the name for the Documents and Settings in regedit?

And lastly, is that all I need to change in order to change the directory? I mean, would other commands not conflit with it if it is not found in the same place when installing? etc etc...

ReputationRep:
    Why not short stroke the 500gb hdd , as doubtless it will be a lot faster than the 80gb anyway, then install all your programs in the second partition, with the 80gb being available for storage as well as the rest of the 500gb? You't get much better performance from this method for sure.

ReputationRep:
    Partition the 500Gb into a 80gb section and run windows from that; it will be a lot faster than the 80Gb

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pheonixx)
    Partition the 500Gb into a 80gb section and run windows from that; it will be a lot faster than the 80Gb
    but constantly accessing 2 partitions on the same drive will reduce performance surely?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsheppard11)
    but constantly accessing 2 partitions on the same drive will reduce performance surely?
    Yeah, thats what I was thinking. That was the whole point of having 2 HDD's. I wanted Windows to be accsesed from HDD1, and everything else I do after installation to be accessed from HDD2. It will eliminate the load problems I'm having.

I'm constently reading, and mostly writing data... installing software etc etc. The response gets silly, and sometimes causes the PC to crash or freeze up for a while.

Anyway, no need to get into detail regarding why, its how... As I asked before, would changing the directory of the folder in regiedt, effect any other commands or code in Windows XP after a fresh install? It shouldn't... right?

Also, what is the name in regedit for Documents and Settings?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    anyone?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsheppard11)
    Short stroking improves the performance of the boot sector massively. Look at any test in HDTune comparing a short stroked sector with a normal hard drive.

The point is that you don't care if your music/videos/pictures are on the inside track of the hard drive, because they will load imperceptibly slower. Putting your OS on the fastest section however will make a big difference.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by Mrvn)
    What is the name for the Documents and Settings in regedit?
    You don't need to edit the registry to change where your documents folder goes. Simply right click on it in your user folder and choose properties, then click the location tab. You can do the same thing for Music, Pictures, Favourites, and so on.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: February 3, 2010
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.