The Blair Witch Project.... Major Let down. Watch

Uel369
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Right. TBWP. Like what the hell?? It was voted like the 2nd or 3rd greatest horror movie last night and when I see it on tonight I thought hat this will great.

Whell.... What a disappointment. It wasn't scary. The fragmented direction distracted from the plot. All it is is darkness and distant screams. And what is up with the ending?? by the time we got to the bottom of the house it was finally getting intense, atmospheric and scary and then... it ends!! NOT IMPRESSED.

What was more annoying was that this sort of psychological drama and horror is the type I enjoy most. It was a major let down.

Ok So rant over. Sorry for the length. lol. What did yous think??
oodalallyoodalally
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Uel369)
Right. TBWP. Like what the hell?? It was voted like the 2nd or 3rd greatest horror movie last night and when I see it on tonight I thought hat this will great.

Whell.... What a disappointment. It wasn't scary. The fragmented direction distracted from the plot. All it is is darkness and distant screams. And what is up with the ending?? by the time we got to the bottom of the house it was finally getting intense, atmospheric and scary and then... it ends!! NOT IMPRESSED.

What was more annoying was that this sort of psychological drama and horror is the type I enjoy most. It was a major let down.

My sentiments exactly. It was seriously dissapointing. I was bored for 99% of that film
Munster
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
wait till you're trying to sleep in ur bed and your tossing and turning cuz u keep thinking about the movie and then u look in the mirror and see the BLAIR WITCH!!

But really, it is crap
Alex M2
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The only bit i got goosebumps for was the very end when the camera falls on the floor.

Did not like how stupid they all behaved during the entire film
DanielNewton
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Uel369)

I agree, I had heard alot of good ratings about the film and seen it voted most scary on numorous sites so was thrilled when I saw it on the TV listings last week, I normally can't stand to watch Films on Channel 4 or Five becouse you just get constantly bombarded with adverts and loose track of the film but I was quite impressed since there dident seem to be overly too many.

The film was a MASSIVE let down... seemed to drag on for ages, I'm glad you managed to get to the end, I switched off about half way through becouse I was bored :rolleyes: - Though I did switch over to channel 4 and watch 'The Oman' which despite negitive reviews I found to be considarably better, although everytime something good happens you get bombarded with "Brought to you in style by the new renaut megan" :mad:
asdalol
Report 8 years ago
awww i forgot to watch this havnt seen the film since i was a kid xD
oodalallyoodalally
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Anybody find paranorml activity to be similarly boring?
Bbeben
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
haha it's because you guys aren't watching it right. Just like an scary movie if you're watching it with lights on, people around and distractions like other sounds then yeah it won't be scary. In order to enjoy it you have to seclude yourself (or with one other person) in a quiet, dark room and focus on watching it. You'll s*** yourself then.
jenny_flum
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by oodalallyoodalally)
Yup! My friends told me how terrifying it was so I went to see it and didn't understand at all! The only remotely scary bit was right at the end.
The Tingler
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I saw that movie shortly after it came out on VHS and I thought it was scary.

Now it wouldn't be the same because I'm used to recent horror films.
The Tingler
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by oodalallyoodalally)
I found that one terrifying actually.
But I've always disliked the thought of being asleep when something is going on around you, and you'd be none the wiser.
mazrhiannon
Report 8 years ago
Maybe I'm a wimp, but I was literally petrified for a whole 2 weeks after seeing that movie...gave me the creeps!

actually, there's no two ways about it - I AM a wimp :p:
oodalallyoodalally
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by The Tingler)
I found that one terrifying actually.
But I've always disliked the thought of being asleep when something is going on around you, and you'd be none the wiser.
Ok that is pretty scary. I guess i just hate 'found footage' films. imo they feel more fake than normal films.
cactussed
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I suppose all the hype is because it was groundbreaking for its time. Now there's things like Paranormal Activity and Cloverfield, but back then it was quite new to see things from an amateurish perspective.
A is for Awesome
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I think it's a brilliant horror movie and a great achievement in filmmaking for the following reasons:

1. Actually trying to do something different. Pretty much all American horror movies follow the same trampled path: Either sanitized PG-13 crap or the same teenage-murder slasher pic. By following (and partly founding) the 'found-footage' genre it tried something original.

2. It was made for next to nothing. The budget was around $30,000 and the movie earned millions at the box office. The lack of budget meant that the filmmakers had to work hard to make the movie work, and they did this with the use of atmosphere and tension, not sudden scares or shocks or gore. The entire film is geared towards building a sense of dread, and in my opinion it works very well. Oh, and the reason it made so much money was also because...

3. It practically invented internet viral marketing. Before the Dark Knight's 'Why So Serious' campaign and all the fake Lost websites, a few marketing lackeys with no money decided to market their movie using this new-fangled internet thing. Setting up websites that purported that the movie was real, they actually fooled many people into believing it.

4. The ending. A lot of people complain about the ending, but I think it's very effective. Sure, at the end the Blair Witch could have appeared and stabbed them all to death, but the abrupt and forboding ending where they enter the basement and Heather sees Mike standing in the corner, just like the way Rustin Parr killed the children, and the camera drops, is much scarier than any monster they could have had.

5. No Blair Witch Project, no [Rec]. And [Rec] is ******* terrifying. That's not up for debate. If the last ten minutes of [Rec] don't scare the **** out of you, well, that's not even psychologically possible.
LetoKynes
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by A is for Awesome)
4. The ending. A lot of people complain about the ending, but I think it's very effective. Sure, at the end the Blair Witch could have appeared and stabbed them all to death, but the abrupt and forboding ending where they enter the basement and Heather sees Mike standing in the corner, just like the way Rustin Parr killed the children, and the camera drops, is much scarier than any monster they could have had.

5. No Blair Witch Project, no [Rec]. And [Rec] is ******* terrifying. That's not up for debate. If the last ten minutes of [Rec] don't scare the **** out of you, well, that's not even psychologically possible.
I had to google up what the ending was supposed to mean because people were making noise throughout the movie :p: I think for this kind of movie you have to try to make yourself believe that it's real for it to be scary :p:

And yeah, I really enjoyed [Rec] too.
A is for Awesome
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by LetoKynes)
I had to google up what the ending was supposed to mean because people were making noise throughout the movie :p: I think for this kind of movie you have to try to make yourself believe that it's real for it to be scary :p:

And yeah, I really enjoyed [Rec] too.
I see what you mean, I mean the ending only really makes sense if you remember one of the interviews at the start of the movie. And yeah, the level of enjoyment definately relates to your ability to suspend disbelief.
Stalin
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The Exorcist was also a major let down, it was on Five a few months ago, and I laughed most of the way through it(having watched all of the Scary Movies beforehand).
Skadoosh
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Yeah it was pretty naff.
Bigfooty
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I enjoyed Blair witch the first time I saw it, and I still think it's pretty clever, but the 'acting' annoys me.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (626)
80.77%
Leave (149)
19.23%

Watched Threads