Turn on thread page Beta

Distinguishing between love and a crush watch

Announcements

Girl 1 - I knew her as a friend for 2 weeks, she goes away for 2 weeks on holiday (While I barely knew her or her background/interests etc), I miss her like hell, she returns, I have the most powerful feelings ever in such a short span of time. Want to be near her, but want to be distant to make myself not feel like so down for liking someone (Who's taken) and to be in control (being near her causes enough heartache to warrant moodiness). This was 5 yrs ago, never had any feelings even close to this.

Girl 2 - see her every now and then, is hot (more hot than girl 1 was), seems shy (Don't know her), but I always have a slight flutter/race in my heart when I see her. Feelings not as close as girl 1, but closest since 5 yrs ago/that time.

Is that a crush? Girl 1 sounds like "love".

ReputationRep:
    1st one, infatuation.
    2nd one, crush.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like infatuation.

I'm struggling with the same question.

There is a girl on my course who I barely noticed at all until just now.

I have heard she is shy and I saw a really shy kind of embarrassed look she gave when she was walking out of a lecture due to a coughing fit (lol) and everyone was looking at her. Also I have noticed a smile from her as I have made eye contact with her.

I did think she was average looking but the more I think about her the more beautiful she looks to me.

It's strange. The worst thing is I've never even spoken to her before in my life!

My friends seem to agree that she's fit so I don't know if she's out of my league or if I should grow some balls and talk to her. Help me here.

ReputationRep:
    The first one sounds like infatuation.
    Love is wanting to spend your life with that one person, and being happy to destroy all that is yours just to keep them in your life. Unless you can compare to that, then no - not love.

ReputationRep:
    whats the difference between infatuation and crush???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maxfire)
    The first one sounds like infatuation.
    Love is wanting to spend your life with that one person, and being happy to destroy all that is yours just to keep them in your life. Unless you can compare to that, then no - not love.
    infatuation is a crush right whats the dif?:confused: :confused:

ReputationRep:
    99 times out of 100, you're thinking with your ****. The first one sounds like you were obsessed with a girl that already had a boyfriend. You want to bone the second.

ReputationRep:
    You would know if you were in love so you obviously aren't

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lnwn)
    infatuation is a crush right whats the dif?:confused: :confused:
    Infatuation has more to do with obsession. A crush is just thinking someone's hot, and wanting to **** their brains out.

ReputationRep:
    You have to know someone properly as a person to love them. It can last years or even a lifetime.
    A crush is purely physical and is usually on someone you don't know but are attracted to. If you get to know the person it either becomes love or it disappears completely. Crushes are exciting and thrilling, love is less so but more enduring.

Well, I thought girl 1 was love. I felt like I wanted to spend all my life with her and all my ideals like not wanting kids I no longer believed in. If that's not love then I am in for a shock because I can't imagine a stronger feeling than what I had with girl 1 (such a waste of feelings) and if I was even so head over heels to not care about how I didn't want kids in the past (ok that's thinking way too quickly in the future), and that was something I felt so strongly about (NOT wanting kids beforehand). So I change in so many ways, but I'm not even in love? wow.

girl 2 doesn't even come close in the feelings thing, seems like a crush yes. Don't know why I have a crush on her. I see plenty of better looking girls, no sense in any of this.

ReputationRep:
    it's hard, you think you're in love, commit, and then gradually the infatuation wears off and you feel like ****..

ReputationRep:
    I thought I was in love with a friend of mine and it was so heart wrenching and I just wanted to spend every minute with him. Then we started going out and 6 months later (after a temp break up halfway through) I realised that i was completely in love with him and before had just been a silly infactuation. I'd been in "love" with so many guys from school days but this was something different. I can't put my finger on it.

Neither can I describe it because I became a completely loved up idiot and he became a **** and the thought I was in love with him makes me feel queasy!

as laura marling says "young love, never meant to last". Just make the most of it and in a couple of years time you'll be laughing at yourself the way I do now!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 2, 2010
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.