Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone give me idiots instructions on cleaning makeup brushes? My mate said just dip them in warm soapy water as long as you don't dip them in up to the metal bit of the handle. I tried this with my foundation brush and left it in my brush pot to dry but it hasn't been quite the same since can anyone tell me what i might have done wrong and how to clean my makeup brushes in future?

ReputationRep:
    Do you think the soap left a residue? I can't think of another reason, especially if you didn't get soap near the base where the glue is.

Most of the time it's suggested you use a very gentle shampoo to rinse them, but I use a spray-cleaner (right now I'm using Cliniques) because I don't like my brushes smelling of shampoo. Works for me. :/
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by hippieglitter)
    Can anyone give me idiots instructions on cleaning makeup brushes? My mate said just dip them in warm soapy water as long as you don't dip them in up to the metal bit of the handle. I tried this with my foundation brush and left it in my brush pot to dry but it hasn't been quite the same since can anyone tell me what i might have done wrong and how to clean my makeup brushes in future?
    You can buy brush shampoo, but in one of magazine's it said that you can just use shampoo that you would use on your hair. Just make sure you don't over soap and that you rinse them thoroughly afterwards. I put mine near the radiator to help them dry out

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps the brush isn't great quality? Some of them don't hold up to washing. I use olive oil to dissolve the makeup - you don't have to scrub it or damage the bristles, then baby shampoo to wash out the oil. I was told to this by a makeup artist.

ReputationRep:
    MAC sell a brush cleanser that works really well IMO

ReputationRep:
    You say you left the brush in a pot to dry? Standing up I presume. That sounds like you're mistake right there. It lets the water run back into the ferrule (metal part). Causes the glue to loosen around the hairs of the brush. Dry them lying down on a towel or tissue.

Quick guide below -

Hold your brushes under warm running water, fibres pointing downwards. Don't ever soak the brush. Lather your makeup brush with cleanser of choice. Work as close to the ferrule as possible, but again avoid getting anything in there! Rinse and repeat until the water runs clear. Squeeze out the moisture and mold the brush to it original shape. Lay the makeup brushes flat on a towel and let them just air dry. Make sure they have time to dry before the next use such as overnight.

The MAC brush cleanser is pretty good - it's antifungal and contains disinfectants, big bottle lasts a good while and is designed specifically for purpose. You can also use a very mild shampoo, such as baby shampoo to wash the brushes, that's probably better if they are synthetic and for personal use only.

ReputationRep:
    I spot clean my brushes after every use with ELF brush cleaner and a towel. Then once a week I'll deep clean them with baby shampoo. Make sure the shampoo is washed out thoroughly & you squeeze out all the excess water. Then reshape the brush and lay it down to air dry.

ReputationRep:
    Clean them with either baby shampoo or just regular shampoo, and condition them. I find if I don't condition mine they go very scratchy.

ReputationRep:
    I wash and condition mine with the products I use for my hair, then let them air dry.

ReputationRep:
    I think NatalieMT's instructions are spot on. Generally though, you should only need to "deep clean" your brushes (i.e. using soap and water) about once a week, unless you are using a product that is hard to get out (e.g. gel eyeliner), or unless you are using your brushes on another person. For day-to-day cleansing, you can just use an alcohol-based cleanser. Basically it's just alcohol and a conditioner - the alcohol dissolves the makeup and kills the germs, while the conditioner stops the brush bristles from drying out. For an alcohol-based cleanser, you can either use MAC's one, ELF also make a cheap version, or you can save a lot of money and make your own, it's very easy (directions posted here). The advantages are that it takes a LOT less time (literally seconds to clean each brush) and they dry in about 5 mins.

Some do's & don'ts:
    - If you are going to use soap and water, do be careful not to get the metal part of the brush wet (as it can loosen the glue that holds in the bristles) or the handle wet (as if it's wooden it can swell up and crack).
    - Don't ever just throw them in the sink to wash!
    - Do dry brushes flat and not standing up, in order to avoid loosening the glue.
    - Don't be tempted to blowdry brushes, it's not good for the bristles (especially synthetic brushes, which can melt if you're not careful!!). Just like your own hair, natural bristle can be heat damaged too.

ReputationRep:
    I just fill the sink with warm water and then put some handwash in.
    For my foundation brush I like brush it against my hand and all the foundation comes out and then kind of squeeze it until no more comes out, then I dry it with my hairdryer

ReputationRep:
    "To clean brushes, take a drop of brush cleaner or very gentle soap in your palm, wet the brush and swirl the bristles around on your palm untill they are covered in soap. (baby shampoo is good to use, smells lovely!) Rinse thoroughly untill all the residue is gone. Do not immerse the brush head in water. Squeeze out excess moisture with a clean towel, reshape the brush head, and let it dry out with the bristles hanging off the edge of a counter so the bristles dry into the perfect shape. Bristles can become mildewed if the rest on a towel while drying"

"Clean all your brushes every month or two. For a quick cleaning in between washings, use a spray brush cleaner. Sprit it onto the bristles, and swipe them back and forth on a tissue untill all the product residues are removed from the brush"

That's how Bobbi Brown recommends! I don't know why, but there is something deeply satisfying about cleaning a concealer brush!

ReputationRep:
    I use a little splodge of normal shampoo, wash thoroughly with my fingers and then dry them carefully with a face flannel

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.