Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

is it too late??? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    i have previously been on saying i hate my course at uni and it still ahsnt got any better so i have come to the conclusion i should try a different route. im just wonderin is it stupid after leaving school three years ago to start a new course and will my fees and loans have to be paid back if i drop out?

ReputationRep:
    Are you in your first year? No, starting a degree at any age is not stupid.

ReputationRep:
    I dont think you or they have to pay anything back. But no its not stupid. A few people I know have done the same thing and its been their best decision. My boyfriend just dropped out to pursue engineering instead, friends have dropped out to do other things, and they're all fine and of different age groups. I know a woman from college who is starting her whole education experience aged 46! And nobody found it weird.

Maybe it would be best to drop out now, maybe email some unis to see if they would consider a late application from you for this september. I applied about three weeks late and still got accepted, but its best to double check. Either that or I think you could probably make an account and go through clearing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JellyBean123)
    I dont think you or they have to pay anything back. But no its not stupid. A few people I know have done the same thing and its been their best decision. My boyfriend just dropped out to pursue engineering instead, friends have dropped out to do other things, and they're all fine and of different age groups. I know a woman from college who is starting her whole education experience aged 46! And nobody found it weird.

Maybe it would be best to drop out now, maybe email some unis to see if they would consider a late application from you for this september. I applied about three weeks late and still got accepted, but its best to double check. Either that or I think you could probably make an account and go through clearing.
    Thanks for the advice i decided to contact my local teacher training college and i now have an interview nxt week im still really nervous about it and changing degree but also excited.

ReputationRep:
    This is the advice given on 'push'.

If you drop out during the academic year, then that’s it, you’re cut off. You won’t get any more loan instalments and you’ll need to start paying your loan back starting from the April following the end of the academic year. You need to tell the SLC if you’re planning to leave your course, change course or take some time out.

If you’re away from your course for more than 60 days because you’re sick or have personal problems, you should also let the SLC know asap. Usually, they’ll make sure you continue to get your loan instalments so long as you don’t actually drop out.

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.