Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,
    I'm to start my LPC course at BPP this year, and I saw they have 2 campuses in London. One is in Holborn and the other in Waterloo.

What is the difference between the two?

I've read many threads here saying that there is not much difference between the two... so let's put it this way... is it better to join Holborn or Waterloo because of:

(i) better profs (more helpful, student to prof ratio [more/less students to a prof])?
    (ii) better facility (newer, better PCs, nicer)?
    (iii) better area (both safer and with more restaurants, cafes, etc)?

Your comments will be appreciated, as I have to make my decision.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't matter. The course is exactly the same and will use the same materials: GDL/LPC are very structured and very spoon-fed, its not like uni. Go to the one that is easier for you to get to.

Waterloo has more GDL people and Holborn more LPC people, so if they are both equally easy for you to get to go to Holborn

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the reply JP.

It seems that Holborn is for more "professional" people - if I may say so... but maybe it is because, as you say, it has more LPC people...

It also seems that the area is nicer...? Closer to fancier restaurants, cafes, etc...?

And it certainly seems that this campus is newer...?

ReputationRep:
    Waterloo seemed quite new when I went there tbh. I really don't think there is anything in it.

ReputationRep:
    I live in Russell Sq (or thereabouts) which is next to Holborn. I can't tell you anything about the course but I can about the area. Some parts of Holborn are pretty stunning, and it does have a lot of nearby shops/cafes etc. Holborn tube station is on the piccadilly line which is quite a convenient line really... only one stop from covent garden, 2 from leicester square etc and it's 2 from King's Cross as well, so you can change to a lot of the main lines. The underground is always a thing to consider when you're living in London I think. You're also close to the likes of Oxford Street, Tottenham Court Road... you name it, you're not far away. There's also the British Library near King's Cross, which isn't too far from Holborn as I said. My brother sometimes ends up travelling from Guildford to use the British Library so I'm fairly sure it will come in useful for you (edit: my brother is on the LPC programme, just to clarify)

ReputationRep:
    After your valuable comments, and A LOT of research on the net, I made up my mind guys... Holborn is the place to be :yep:
    I won't actually live in the area, as I need a 2 bedroom place (preferably with a small garden for my little doggie), and it seems that rents are quite expensive in the city...
    Can you tell me a little about the suburbs, and the different areas? I have an acquaintance that lives near Gatwick (isn't that far away??? it seems so in google earth at least), and works in the city center... she told me that taking the subway takes her about 30-40 minutes... her place is a 2 bedroom house with a garden, and she pays 1000gbp... I would prefer something closer though (15-20 minutes by car or subway) in about the same price...
    What areas should I be look to? Keep in mind that I would like it to be in a safe area, quiet if possible, etc, etc... I think you get my point...
    Waiting yours.

ReputationRep:
    I really like going to uni in Holborn! Really nice area and near covent garden and the thames.

Renting in zone 4 (40-45mins away by tube) is about £350/mnth.

ReputationRep:
    Zone 4? That means that the suburbs are "split" in zones, I guess...?

Any info on the net to look it up?

I would prefer something closer (40 minutes away seems too far for me to do on an everyday basis).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eclipsegr)
    After your valuable comments, and A LOT of research on the net, I made up my mind guys... Holborn is the place to be :yep:
    I won't actually live in the area, as I need a 2 bedroom place (preferably with a small garden for my little doggie), and it seems that rents are quite expensive in the city...
    Can you tell me a little about the suburbs, and the different areas? I have an acquaintance that lives near Gatwick (isn't that far away??? it seems so in google earth at least), and works in the city center... she told me that taking the subway takes her about 30-40 minutes... her place is a 2 bedroom house with a garden, and she pays 1000gbp... I would prefer something closer though (15-20 minutes by car or subway) in about the same price...
    What areas should I be look to? Keep in mind that I would like it to be in a safe area, quiet if possible, etc, etc... I think you get my point...
    Waiting yours.
    I'm not sure it's worth going so far to live to be honest. I'd look around Camden and Holloway (though they're not particularly nice areas), maybe westminster. I certainly wouldn't go so far, I mean I know transport isn't all THAT expensive but that would add up considerably after a while, and not only that but it's hassle! It doesn't take much more time for me to get to my rowing club, but it feels horrific going so far. If you have a class at 9, you'd have to set off at about 8 to be sure (40 minutes is a rough estimate, there's always rush hour and the walk and delays etc). I'd definitely go and have a look around. Holloway isn't a brilliant idea if you want safe, but to be honest London + cheap + convenient is very rarely safe. I'm not sure it's really worth such a journey like your friend either.

ReputationRep:
    Me and my friend are intending on renting a flat when we do our LPC at Holborn in September; we've been advised that Clapham is a good area with decent rents but not too far from college/Central London xx

ReputationRep:
    If you've just received your offer then you won't have a choice, you will have submitted a preference in your application unless things have changed in 12 months.

The majority of Holborn places are reserved for the consortium students who have no choice but to go to Holborn due to its proximity to the firms. A lot of people I knew who didn't have training contracts in place wanted to go to Holborn but because ended up in Waterloo. There is nothing wrong with Waterloo at all but Holborn is just a nicer area.

I think you get the same LPC no matter where you go (most of my friends in Waterloo finished with a distinction or commendation) and if you don't have a training contract being in Holborn can be very stressful because you won't have the eternal TC search and interview rounds in common. I dont know if that would even be an issue for you but there you have it.

ReputationRep:
    Waterloo is about a 10/15 min walk from Holborn so its all one.

As to renting in london it is v expensive in the areas people are talking about, unless you can get specific (often nasty) student accomodation, a small flat in holborn, westminster, kings cross or waterloo all of which are zone 1 would be at least £350-500 a WEEK. Holborn is on the central line tube so affordble and accessible property would be in the east end - bethnal green, mile end, bow etc which is 20min to 1/2 an hour on the tube.

Gatwick is not in a london zone and is a 40 minute main line train ride from London Bridge (there is no "subway" ), which is then 10 mins on the jubilee line (the busiest line so in rush hour may take another 5 to ten mins to get to the front of the platform) to Waterloo, or a 10 minute bus ride 10/15 min walk to holborn.

You could not realistically drive to either of these locations. Congestion chage and the cost of parking would be prohibitive, if you could even find somewhere to park.

ReputationRep:
    I think I have to get to know all about the "tube" and "train" and "jubilee", etc, etc...
    I thought that things would be as "normal" as in all other EU capitals: jump in your car, go wherever you want to go, park you car, and do your thing...
    Just found out about the "congestion" zone thing... 1696gbp for the annual charge in order to be able to drive in your own city :confused:
    Don't you guys pay taxes in order to have the streets well maintained and use them? Don't you also pay annual fees for you car? MOTS and stuff? I mean WOW... and I thought only southern European countries did such "crazy" stuff... anyway...
    Please tell me your opinion about the following two areas: Enfield, and Greenwich. Safe, nice areas?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eclipsegr)
    I think I have to get to know all about the "tube" and "train" and "jubilee", etc, etc...
    I thought that things would be as "normal" as in all other EU capitals: jump in your car, go wherever you want to go, park you car, and do your thing...
    Just found out about the "congestion" zone thing... 1696gbp for the annual charge in order to be able to drive in your own city :confused:
    Don't you guys pay taxes in order to have the streets well maintained and use them? Don't you also pay annual fees for you car? MOTS and stuff? I mean WOW... and I thought only southern European countries did such "crazy" stuff... anyway...
    Please tell me your opinion about the following two areas: Enfield, and Greenwich. Safe, nice areas?
    I love the idea that someone at BPP Holborn might regularly drive into law school. Have you even visited Britain?! (Surely you have, as if you're doing the LPC you must have completed an English law degree or GDL....)

ReputationRep:
    Yes I've visited the UK a few times, but always had someone to drive me around. I've only drove around London twice with rental car... never check my credit card charges though, so I might have even been charged for that, or it may have just happened that I didn't drive within the "zone" (actually it should be called "hot zone" )... anyway, I have never run into a lot of traffic - which was impressing... maybe because of the cong. zone charges, uh? LOL
    But anyway, as I'm not used to getting tubes, buses, etc, I guess I will have to pay the charge monthly (add another 130+ to my calculations I guess... not too much anyways if you can ride your car and be in peace - hate crowded places!). Have already taken care of parking (another monthly fee)...
    I have completed most of my education in the US (south), where everyone would take his car to go to school... buses and other "mass transportation means" were mainly for those that couldn't afford to have a car (or better say a place to stay)... so, it's only normal for me to prefer my car, as I have been doing so for the last 15 years of my life (since I got my driver's license)... Now, don't ask me why I left the US since I've adored the place (we have all regret things we have done in the past I guess!) It still feels like home, but... anyway... Does it really sound too crazy for the brits to hear that someone will drive to school? My God... things are that bad in London? You've got to be super-rich to drive to school, or something? Whatever it is supposed to be, I wouldn't change driving my 5lt Mercy to go to wherever I want to go, for anything...
    Yes, I'm currently doing my GDL, but not in London... mid England...
    I was also looking for a tennis club around guys... someone at another forum told me Wimbledon, but can't find anything on how to become a member... It seems they only sell tickets for the Grand Slam event... Also found another place called "Queens (can't remember the rest - it seems that most nice places in the UK include the word Queen or King)", but they want something like a couple of thousands to become a member and 2 members to propose you to the club... Any other nice place to play some tennis?

ReputationRep:
    Are you familiar with petrol prices in the UK? That may have an effect on your decision.

Seriously, no one drives in central London. It isn't worth it - even if you have sorted out parking, it will take you twice as long to get anywhere.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, the OP's attitude is getting more and more crazy/obnoxious. Also some things don't quite make sense. Isn't starting until September, but has "already taken care of parking"?!

ReputationRep:
    This must be a troll guys.

ReputationRep:
    Driving in central London isn't going to be an option. It is irrelevant how wealthy you are. You will find even the bankers on their £m's will often get the tube. You will be commuting in rush hour quite commonly. The traffic will be HORRENDOUS. You can drive, but you'll need to set out about 40 minutes to an hour earlier than your friends taking the tube.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FMQ)
    holborn, westminster, kings cross or waterloo all of which are zone 1 would be at least £350-500 a WEEK.
    With all due respect, that is absolute BS. Perhaps a stylish loft would cost that, but there are loads of places around King's Cross for example that can be had for £100 - £150 a week.

There are plenty of places to be had in central London for a decent price. I have several friends living on Goodge St for example, for around £130.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.