Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Am looking for 2nd year accomodation and am going for BGP again.

I'm undecided atm between a studio and an ensuite room. I've been in BGP this year in a shared kitchen and the problem is I haven't really mixed well with my flatmates...whilst that is at least partly my fault for not perhaps going to enough effort early on, none of us mix at all really.

There's no hostility or anything, it's just kinda awkward. For this reason, I'm kinda worried about a repeat situation happening next year if I go for an ensuite/normal room. I realize that studios may be 'less sociable' but I figure it's not impossible to mix with your flatmates (even if the environment is less geared towards that) but if it doesn't work out it won't be hideously awkward each time we bump into each other in the kitchen etc. (also, I often like to eat at really weird times, I hate leaving my room and making a massive noise when it's 1am on a Tuesday or something, in fear of waking people up)

The studio would be more convenient etc and less 'risky' but it seems like the wrong option somehow.

Should also mention that I'm not one for clubbing+getting drunk every night. I go to the pub etc for a few drinks but not with the intention of getting drunk. Does that somehow factor into my decision (studio 'demographic' perhaps less of that?)

What should I do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ppc123)
    Hi

Am looking for 2nd year accomodation and am going for BGP again.

I'm undecided atm between a studio and an ensuite room. I've been in BGP this year in a shared kitchen and the problem is I haven't really mixed well with my flatmates...whilst that is at least partly my fault for not perhaps going to enough effort early on, none of us mix at all really.

There's no hostility or anything, it's just kinda awkward. For this reason, I'm kinda worried about a repeat situation happening next year if I go for an ensuite/normal room. I realize that studios may be 'less sociable' but I figure it's not impossible to mix with your flatmates (even if the environment is less geared towards that) but if it doesn't work out it won't be hideously awkward each time we bump into each other in the kitchen etc. (also, I often like to eat at really weird times, I hate leaving my room and making a massive noise when it's 1am on a Tuesday or something, in fear of waking people up)

The studio would be more convenient etc and less 'risky' but it seems like the wrong option somehow.

Should also mention that I'm not one for clubbing+getting drunk every night. I go to the pub etc for a few drinks but not with the intention of getting drunk. Does that somehow factor into my decision (studio 'demographic' perhaps less of that?)

What should I do?

I think you should try the ensuite option again.. I am also of the no-clubbing/getting drunk sort, and although I never really mingled with my flatmates last year, it was nice to have someone there.. (I think we had pizza together once, and went out together in Freshers once..) Even if we never hung out, we still chatted when we met the others in the kitchen, and when I had bf problems they were there to talk to..

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the input.

Does anybody know if it's definitely true that studios are essentially always isolated flats?

ReputationRep:
    When I had a look around Nottingham's accomodation the one that was shown (sorry can't remember name) was self catered and it was a group of studio rooms in one building.

ReputationRep:
    sorry, wasn't really clear.

I sort of meant, is it the case that people in Studio flats are always gonna be more isolated from their flatmates than in normal ones?

ReputationRep:
    I don't see why they would if you make the same effort?

ReputationRep:
    Well the thing is, you won't bump into your flatmates in the kitchen or anything.. I believe all that is shared is the corridor..

ReputationRep:
    Studios = little to no mixing, hard to meet other people.
    En-suite = Flat, can meet people, can visit flat next door to meet people if the people in your flat are rubbish or you don't get on.
    Large En-Suite = Amazing. I'm in one now; same as above, only you get twice the space, plus they are located in a block with giant kitchens (Laurels)

ReputationRep:
    I went to apply for a laerge studio in the end but they've run out of those so got an offer for large ensuite instead. Nice to have the decision made for me in the end.

ReputationRep:
    You'll love the large en-suite. Genuinely.

ReputationRep:
    I have one already, I definitely like the room, it's just the kitchen vs studio aspect I was thinking over.

heh, I'm still so indecisive I'm thinking of getting a normal studio instead. Persuade me otherwise please! I really think of it as the 'easy option' and probably the wrong option but still...

ReputationRep:
    Any friend I have in a studio hates it. I's a hermit life.

ReputationRep:
    You will probably get new people next year and never know, you might meet people you get on with.
    Ensuite.

I haven't seen a large ensuite though...they offer me that but I thought I'd go with the normal one.

ReputationRep:
    Do not get a studio whatever you do. They are awful

ReputationRep:
    one more drawback of studios - you won't have access to an iron and ironing board=)

ReputationRep:
    you don't get given an oven in a studio- that would annoy me after a week having to rely on a microwave and a hob! I'm a 2nd year on broadgate and in my experience you get put with a mix of 2nd year/ final year/ post grad/ international students (I'm not in ensuite but i know a couple of 2nd years who are) and are separated from the 1st years, there's not much mixing with flatmates as everyone tends to live separate lives and if your with postgrads/ final years they will most likely be very work focused so you may not see much of them (as is the case with my flatmates). conclusion: not the most sociable choice for 2nd year but peace of mind of security, maintenance and having bills included. the peace and quiet in these isolated blocks is a bonus for studying but you really need to know people outside of your flat!

ReputationRep:
    How do they expect you to get by without an oven??! Ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    Do you not get one of those combo microwaves in a studio?

ReputationRep:
    Is it really tht hard to meet other people in studios?

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Plus hermits self-select into them so often the people you end up in your corridor with don't want to meet you!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 10, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.