A start up problem. Watch

Mess.
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
MY girlfriends computer is currently infected with the rogue Vista Antispyware 2010 http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1169673 and when starting up her computer to attempt to remove it the laptop does not seem to start up properly.

The toolbar at the side does not open, the icons on the tray do not open and when attempting to open Firefox it asks me which programme I would like to use to open it.

When I tried to download the malware removal software it also asked me which programme to open it with.

Any help would be appreciated.
Lderan
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
tried starting up in safe mode?
slipend
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
When you download the removal tool for it, save it as a different name. Sometimes the virus/spyware blocks certain removal programs.
Mess.
Rep:
?
(Original post by Lderan)
tried starting up in safe mode?
I can't as the computer won't let me open anything using shortcuts etc.

I could try doing it if you pointed out how to without shortcuts.

It is on a VAIO laptop and it doesn't seem to have an oppurtunity to press F8 etc at start up, just 'VAIO' screen then windows is starting/resuming, then computer starts.
slipend
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by meskell)
I can't as the computer won't let me open anything using shortcuts etc.

I could try doing it if you pointed out how to without shortcuts.

It is on a VAIO laptop and it doesn't seem to have an oppurtunity to press F8 etc at start up, just 'VAIO' screen then windows is starting/resuming, then computer starts.
You can press F8 regardless of what is on the screen. Bash F8 or F2 when it loads to get into safe mode.
Mess.
Rep:
?
(Original post by slipend)
You can press F8 regardless of what is on the screen. Bash F8 or F2 when it loads to get into safe mode.
:yy: will do after this scan has finished.

What is it I am meant to be doing with the computer in safe mode as well?
slipend
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Try my other solution as well, the removal program should work.
Mess.
Rep:
?
Try my other solution as well, the removal program should work.
I've tried both F2 and F8 on seperate start ups and neither did anything.
slipend
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Are you using Spyware doctor?
Mess.
Rep:
?
Are you using Spyware doctor?
The only thing on her computer is Norton as it is impossible to download anything else at the moment as the computer won't allow me to open any programmes. Except Norton and IE weirdly enough :confused:

Tried a full scan and it did nothing except remove some cookies.
slipend
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Try, http://www.2-viruses.com/thank-you.html and download Spyware Doctor, but SAVE IT AS A DIFFERENT NAME. like "Help" or something, then double click and run.
Mess.
Rep:
?
Try, http://www.2-viruses.com/thank-you.html and download Spyware Doctor, but SAVE IT AS A DIFFERENT NAME. like "Help" or something, then double click and run.
That still doesn't work.

Whenever I try to open any programme apart from Norton (only when using the toolbar at the bottom right) and IE (only when using the shortcut on the desktop) opens a screen saying "Choose programme you want to use to open this file:" and then IE is the recommended programme, but doesn't open anyway this way. Then I would have to browse through the computer for a programme to open it.

I don't think the virus is stopping me opening programmes, the computer itself just seems to have blocked opening pretty much anything.
rmhumphries
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The virus has damaged your file extension information. For example, a .doc file will be registered with microsoft word. It seems the .exe extension is messed up, it can happen due to certain malware. I gotta go uni, but will try to find a fix when I get back.
Kevmeister
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Force the computer to shut down, do so by holding the power key for about ten seconds, it should then give you the option to start normally, in safe mode with command prompt or in safe mode with networking. Do the latter, and then run your AV and try again to download spyware and malware software.
rmhumphries
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
What operating system is it? Windows Xp / vista / 7 / other?
Mess.
Rep:
?
It's vista. And if you click on the link at the top that's the thread about the malware.

Thanks for that keV, I didn't even think of forcing it :facepalm:
rmhumphries
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Download this: http://www.dougknox.com/xp/fileassoc/xp_exe_fix.zip

Although it is for xp, I have checked and the reg keys are the same in Vista.

Once you open the zip file, then run the .reg file inside, and then you may need to restart.

I would recommend running both the file in safe mode, and then restarting into safe mood - if you turn it off while it has the windows loading screen, it should say there was a problem starting up, and allow you to boot to safe mood.

Then, in safe mode, try to clean the original infection
Mess.
Rep:
?
(Original post by rmhumphries)
Download this: http://www.dougknox.com/xp/fileassoc/xp_exe_fix.zip

Although it is for xp, I have checked and the reg keys are the same in Vista.

Once you open the zip file, then run the .reg file inside, and then you may need to restart.

I would recommend running both the file in safe mode, and then restarting into safe mood - if you turn it off while it has the windows loading screen, it should say there was a problem starting up, and allow you to boot to safe mood.

Then, in safe mode, try to clean the original infection
Thank you for the help
moley89
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
If F8 isn't working to give you the option to load safe mode, chances are USB keyboard shortcuts are disabled in your BIOS. so enable them.

Or you could connect an old PS/2 keyboard.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (197)
27.86%
No (510)
72.14%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise