Advertising Design Watch

death_on_the_stairs
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Has anybody applied to do advertising design this year?

Have you heard anything back yet?

Also if there is anyone already on this course, what can I expect to be asked in the interview?

Cheers in advance,
Gav
Emmargh
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Have you just applied for 'advertising design' or 'graphic design' as well?

It's just that i've applied to just 'graphic design' and i'm kinda worried coz I don't have a clue what to expect at interviews with me taking AS/A2 fine art

xxx
death_on_the_stairs
Rep:
?
Just advertising design. I do graphic design at the minute at Bradford College and I find myself drawn more towards the advertising briefs we are set. So I;ve gone for Advertising.

What sort of stuff do you have in your portfolio?
Emmargh
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I had to actually make a blog on 'blogger.com' (whatever that is) and send my portfolio off before i can even get an interview

if you want an idea as to what i have in mine then i'll send you the link but the work isn't fantastic or really related to graphic design as i do fine art :p:

it'll give you an idea though and probably make your portfolio look amazing compared to mine :laugh:

xxx
username181178
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Emmargh)
Have you just applied for 'advertising design' or 'graphic design' as well?

It's just that i've applied to just 'graphic design' and i'm kinda worried coz I don't have a clue what to expect at interviews with me taking AS/A2 fine art

xxx
They're probably making you do an online portfolio, because apparently there's 400 students that have applied for the course, and there's only 150 places. Sometimes, if you don't get onto the main course, they'll offer for you to go onto the Art Foundation, then a course of your choice the year after.

I am on the BA Graphic Design course, so if you want any help, or my complete honest opinions then feel free to ask! You may want to read my posts on a few of the other Salford Art/Design related threads.

Just make sure you've got a variety of work. A girl in my year got onto the course from doing an Art Diploma, and she had little design work (so to speak) in her portfolio.

Make sure you've got lots of experimental work, your best final pieces. Have you any photography work, perhaps?
If you get through to the main interview, make sure you talk about a mixture of designers/photographers/artists you like, how they've inspired you. What sort of things your interesting in learning about, etc.

Is it definitely Graphic Design you want to do? If it's Salford you're after going to, maybe BA Visual Arts may be better?

OP: As for Advertising Design, some people that didn't get on the BA Graphic Design course, got offered to do that - there is less demand for that, probably because its more specific.
The course is pretty much based on Advertising - you will have to go to Art History lectures though based around the subject - all the Art & Design course do.
death_on_the_stairs
Rep:
?
(Original post by Emmargh)
I had to actually make a blog on 'blogger.com' (whatever that is) and send my portfolio off before i can even get an interview

if you want an idea as to what i have in mine then i'll send you the link but the work isn't fantastic or really related to graphic design as i do fine art :p:

it'll give you an idea though and probably make your portfolio look amazing compared to mine :laugh:

xxx

Yeh go on then, PM me it.

I was asking because I was going to suggest you put a variety of work in, photography, creative writing etc. Hope you get in anyways.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (141)
46.08%
Pro-humanity (165)
53.92%

Watched Threads