Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is it me or do many german people wear really... boring.... clothes?

Every time I've been to Germany (which is quite a lot!) everyone seems to wear jeans and a t-shirt/hoody combo.

Every day. Even at parties.

AND I always get really evil looks (as do my friends) whenever I wear a dress or a skirt (which isn't even long!) in Germany. My friend wore a long dress and got so many evil looks...

My other friend has a german exchange partner and the first thing she said to her was
    "Oh yes, my teacher warned me girls wear dresses in winter".

I've heard they all think we're sluts basically...

hmm, has anyone else noticed this?

ReputationRep:
    yeah, my german assistant dresses really boring-ly.

ReputationRep:
    yesss. I did two exchanges and girls got very weird looks indeed for wearing skirts/dresses, even though one time we were at this local club night thing on valentine's day everyone was just like :zomg: aren't you cold?

ReputationRep:
    I've never beento Germany, but for boring clothes go to Sweden. Everyone dresses identically - everyone! Every girl in Stockholm has blonde hair, is around 5'8, wears white converses (hi-tops), if not - plimsolls, leggings, and a grey or black oversized jumper or dress. Every one of them. Every last one. :nothing:

ReputationRep:
    yes they do wear very boring clothes most of the time

ReputationRep:
    I only know 2 Germans and it's true neither of them are girly girls at all.

ReputationRep:
    having said that, i do know some germans who were the same clothes as we do. theyre about my age...

ReputationRep:
    I just came back from holiday, and as it was a German resort there were lots of them there. It's true, either shorts, t shirts or sandles or some sort of hideous combo. As it was sunny some were daring with dresses but they looked like they'd been bought in the 90's and kept for best. The best thing i spotted was a denim catsuit....

ReputationRep:
    I totally agree! I'm in halls and have two German flatmates, I've never seen either of them out of the 'jeans and tshirt/hoodie combo'. I think they just dress for comfort.. and I guess fair enough, but I almost always wear tights with a dress/skirt they always look at me like I'm crazy and once did comment on the fact that 'every girl in this country wears such little clothes - it's never like this in Germany!'
    That said, I do have one German friend about my age who dresses similar to me. And I've seen a fair few stylish girls in Berlin.

ReputationRep:
    Some of my colleagues wear interesting clothes, there's only a few who are boring.

I think the reason you get looks may be because the people in question are conservative. I get the odd look cos I go out with my ipod in and because I sometimes wear heavy metal hoodies. They don't like it.

ReputationRep:
    Germans are boring old farts - true. But we do get freaky in bed. Rawwwwwrrr. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah- I lived in germany and I noticed this- all the girls I knew dressed like you describe- and not all that feminine either! Some girls with nice figures suited tight jeans- but they still didn't vary their dress sense at all- and when I went to visit my friend's gymnasium with her she looked horrified when I put on some shorts + tights combo- and wasn't keen on me wearing dresses either.

ReputationRep:
    And that would be why I'm going clothes shopping before I go out there. Some of the clothes on the main clothes shops' websites :zomg:

ReputationRep:
    I've noticed this. I'm off to Germany on friday, suitcase full of skirts, cardigans, boots, dresses and woolly tights ;D Of course jeans and the usual stuff too. My friends over there, they all wear the same things. I've not met one German person with their own individual style.

ReputationRep:
    Ha yes, and with a Jansport rucksack.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SiaSiaSia)
    Is it me or do many german people wear really... boring.... clothes?

Every time I've been to Germany (which is quite a lot!) everyone seems to wear jeans and a t-shirt/hoody combo.

Every day. Even at parties.

AND I always get really evil looks (as do my friends) whenever I wear a dress or a skirt (which isn't even long!) in Germany. My friend wore a long dress and got so many evil looks...

My other friend has a german exchange partner and the first thing she said to her was
    "Oh yes, my teacher warned me girls wear dresses in winter".

I've heard they all think we're sluts basically...

hmm, has anyone else noticed this?
    It's true!

My friend in Germany loves buying clothes when she's over here but she never wears them back home because of the attention it'd draw towards her. :o:

ReputationRep:
    They also all like to march in lines and hold the right arm in a 45° angle... bloody Germans...

ReputationRep:
    It's sooo true!

When i went on an exchange in October, me and my friend got dressed up to go to a party in a club; we wore a dress and heels and everything. When we got there, all of the girls were wearing hoodies, skinny jeans and converse! They were staring at us like we had come wearing ball gowns or something...

That said, i do know a couple of them who dress like we do. I also know a boy who dresses just like British boys; then again, my friend (from England) is his girlfriend and he is over here most of the time...

ReputationRep:
    The German guys I've met seem to dress themselves pretty fashionably... Maybe it's just German girls that don't?

ReputationRep:
    Ah yeah my German exchange is a fan of the jeans and H&M hoodies. I think thats partly the problem, as H&M is so popular with German teenagers, it appears.
    When she came over in October I took her to a club and she was full on shocked at the short dresses and high heels combo that pretty much every girl was wearing. What she was wearing (long top, jeans and red shoes with small heels) was apparently the dressiest outfit she had.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.