Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Predicament, (Interview - related). watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wolfy^)
    It's even sadder when parents push kids like that through medschool, and they end up hating what they're doing or even giving it up, though I doubt that happens very often. Or at least I hope not.
    The kids will most likely burn out somewhere, definitely - á la Lindsay Lohan style.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phalanges)
    That reminds me of a story a tutor once told to me.

He'd been doing interviews all day, and then this boy walked in. Before he'd even introduced himself, the boy simply said that he was sorry to waste the interviewer's time but he didn't want to study here. It transpired that he didn't want to study medicine, but at every point along the application path his parents had been standing over him, choosing where to apply, how to write his PS, and accompanying him to interviews. When he got into the room it was his first chance to be away from them and confess.

It's really quite sad. And it's sad we live in a society where trailer-trash american mums who force their child actors to auditions are rightfully vilified, and yet those who do the exact same thing with more academic intentions get off relatively scot-free.
    Such a horrible situation for the boy

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 2, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.