Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello people!

I'm desperately in need of advice.

I'm gonna finish my Bsc.Visual Communication.

I'm interested in applying for the Msc.Global Media and Communications course at LSE.

But I'm more intersted in the MA in Creative and Cultural industries at King's and MLitt Managing in the Creative industries at St. Andrews.

Now if I ever do get an offer from all the three (high hopes), which one do I choose in terms of name, career prospects?

Also, will I be loosing on anything if I choose King's over the other two?

ReputationRep:
    I think you've answered the question yourself. Choose the one you're most interested in! After all, at the end of the day it is not the name of your programme or university which determine your career prospects, but you do yourself ;-)

ReputationRep:
    O go to King's and although I'm doing a different MA I did one module from MA in Creative and Cultural indusctries last term so might be able to answer some of your questions about it if you have any.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much for replying

And yes, I might need some help with the course per-se.

But can anyone tell me about what I will be loosing if I choose King's over the other two?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mohitravi)
    Thank you so much for replying

And yes, I might need some help with the course per-se.

But can anyone tell me about what I will be loosing if I choose King's over the other two?
    In terms of course content King's and St. Andrews are not that different, LSE quite a different thing though. So maybe think what you'd like to do when you graduate.

To be fair, between King's and St. Andrews I'd say King's because of London. Those course are supposed to prepare you for working in Cultural institutions (LSE course seems media oriented), King's students do a compulsory internship and you won't have more options for placements in culture industry than in london. The department has very strong links with a variety of cultural institutions (they have a module taught at Tate Modern for ex.) and they will be involved in developing the cultural space of Somerset House that King's recently acquired.

I know I am a bit biased being at King's myself, but though some insider knowledge could help.

ReputationRep:
    I am currently doing the MA in CCI at Kings. Just so you know, the programme size is extremely large (170), so take that into consideration as well.
    Edited to add - finding a viable internship in the cultural and creative industries in London right now has actually proven to be difficult for many people on the course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sofistikate)
    I am currently doing the MA in CCI at Kings. Just so you know, the programme size is extremely large (170), so take that into consideration as well.
    Edited to add - finding a viable internship in the cultural and creative industries in London right now has actually proven to be difficult for many people on the course.

Oh really? I though KCL offers a lot of internships for the MA students. Plus I'm an international student, so I'm hoping that would help out as well.

This might come as a surprise, but I really do not know what a 'programme size' refers to. Can you please enlighten me on that?

ReputationRep:
    Oh really? I though KCL offers a lot of internships for the MA students. Plus I'm an international student, so I'm hoping that would help out as well.

This might come as a surprise, but I really do not know what a 'programme size' refers to. Can you please enlighten me on that?
    I mean there are 170 students on the programme. As you can imagine, KCL can't place 170 students into internships. The vast vast majority have to find their own internships by seeking out companies and applying.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you sofistikate.

I really want King's because of its overall reputation.

How is the arts and humanities department generally? I heard this course mostly falls under their department.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you sofistikate.

I really want King's because of its overall reputation.

How is the arts and humanities department generally? I heard this course mostly falls under their department.
    it's hard to generalise about the school (rather then department) of arts and humanities at King's as it's huge and each department within it is slightly different. The good thing is that you're allowed to take modules across the school, not just within your own department (as long as your own department and the one that runs a module of your interest agree). That's how I ended up doing a CCI module though I am doing Comp Lit. The bad thing is that they are 'restructuring' aka. introducing cuts in the school, so no one really knows exactly how things are going to work. Though from what I know CCi is in a really privileged position in the whole restructuring exercise and more money is actually to be invested in the centre, so you have nothing to worry about.

ReputationRep:
    Well, from what your making it sound, it seems to be the best option as of now.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.