Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I graduated with only a 2.2 degree in May last year and now want to go into primary school teaching.

After graduating I went to New Zealand on a working holiday and was a nanny for 3 girls during the weekdays (ages 5, 7 and 10)

There are only a few vacancies left for 2010 entry and I am worried that my lack of experience in schools (none - although I am waiting to here about a voluntary position in a local school), and my not very good degree ... would make it pointless in applying this year when there will be so much competition.

Do you guys think I should just go for it? Or get a bit of experience and then go for 2011 entry?

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    If you apply and don't get in what have you lost compared to if you don't even apply?

ReputationRep:
    £20 lmao.
    Noo, my confidence? I've been knocked down my job applications for 8months now, I hardly have any confidence left in me.

ReputationRep:
    Ahhh

Well, that can be difficult. Still apply though, I think having that child related work abroad is absolutely brilliant.

Also, another route, is grabbing a CELTA qualification and hopping to Korea, Japan, India, Spain, Indonesia etc for a year and teach english to Children.

ReputationRep:
    Well in all honesty, the experience is vital before the interview, as they ask you questions related to it, so you need to be able to talk about it, however if you have some lined up and you can at least talk about the issues with regards to the nannying you did and have done a lot of reading around current teaching issues then you should be ok

With your degree class though I know of a few people who have struggled to find courses that accept 2.2s, though there may be some around - have you had a look?

I would go for it if you can find a suitable course, but but the biggest effort ever into getting even a days experience before your interview as it will help you so much - you can then do the rest afterwards

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slipend)
    Ahhh

Well, that can be difficult. Still apply though, I think having that child related work abroad is absolutely brilliant.

Also, another route, is grabbing a CELTA qualification and hopping to Korea, Japan, India, Spain, Indonesia etc for a year and teach english to Children.
    Sadly not - most of my friends were rejected due to not having enough relevent experience. Two of them had taught abroad, one in Korea and the other in Italy; but because it wasn't in England, both were told it wouldn't count. I've heard the same thing that even teaching primary in Ireland doesn't actually count. They both did CELTA purely to work for one year and then use the experience so that's £1000 down the drain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wordsearch)
    Sadly not - most of my friends were rejected due to not having enough relevent experience. Two of them had taught abroad, one in Korea and the other in Italy; but because it wasn't in England, both were told it wouldn't count. I've heard the same thing that even teaching primary in Ireland doesn't actually count. They both did CELTA purely to work for one year and then use the experience so that's £1000 down the drain.

It's not a thousand pound down the drainl, you could spend your life working abroad, would be fun jumping from one country to another like that, well, i think so

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slipend)
    It's not a thousand pound down the drainl, you could spend your life working abroad, would be fun jumping from one country to another like that, well, i think so
    I've done both, they aren't as similar as you would think! Personally I hated teaching English but I do miss the better weather!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.