Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why am I so tired all the time? watch

Announcements

Why on Earth am I so tired all the time?

I feel sleepy all the time, despite getting adequate sleep at night. The joints in my legs hurt when I walk (though not all the time), especially when I am climbing stairs. I also get out of breath really easily.

All this is really irritating, depressing and demotivating. It feels like I can't be bothered to do anything.

Any insight into this, people?

ReputationRep:
    I'm the same.
    Do you smoke cause I think that might be whats effecting me.

I don't smoke. Never have. Neither do I drink.

By the way, I am a guy.

ReputationRep:
    what do you have for breakfast in the morning?

ReputationRep:
    Go to the doctor? I was going to say it sounds like maybe glandular fever, but obviously I am not a doctor so I dont know! It could be anything really, even a simple vitamin deficiency or your diet etc. If you get it checked out then you'll know what you can do about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

I feel sleepy all the time, despite getting adequate sleep at night. The joints in my legs hurt when I walk (though not all the time), especially when I am climbing stairs. I also get out of breath really easily.

All this is really irritating, depressing and demotivating. It feels like I can't be bothered to do anything.

Just see a doctor. It could be a simple deficiency or a symptom for any number of more complex issues.

ReputationRep:
    Too add to this, having goals for the day and getting adequate exercise helps me stay motivated :yep:

I don't normally have breakfast, just a glass of milk.

I eat a lot though, but I don't think I cover all food groups. I weigh around 87kg and am 5.8 feet tall (if that is of any concern).

ReputationRep:
    You may be anemic! You aren't getting enough iron in your blood!
    Go to the doctor and get some medication which increases iron levels!
    One of my family had the same symptoms as you and they found out they were anemic!

ReputationRep:
    :doctor:
    Anaemic?

How can I (somewhat) assure that I am anemic? It'd be awfully embarrassing to go see the doctor just over a hunch.

ReputationRep:
    Well its better to go to the doctor to be sure!
    Thats wha they're there for!
    or look on NetDoctor and see if there are any illnesses on there with similar symptoms that you have!

ReputationRep:
    How often do you eat iron rich foods?
    Aside from dairy how often do you have calcium rich foods?
    Do you have any pre-existing medical conditions?

I'd see a doctor if I were you but as you seem reluctant to do so.
    So perhaps if you say, upped your intake of broccoli, peas, spinach, kale, etc.
    General fruit and veg.
    And add some nuts, almonds, brazils.

How are your fluids?
    How's your B12 intake?
    You may wish to supplement it.

It could be any range of deficencies.
    I'd suggest making a nice big batch of lentil and vegetable soup.

250 grams of lentils, fried onions, lots of different veg thrown in, boiled for an hour (unless pressure cooked), don't let it burn etc.
    Don't cut down on eating other things, but throw in a bowl or two of that a day. See if it makes a difference. If it does you appear to have a solution.
    Edit:
    This should cover a few of the potential deficiencies.

Try to eat at least 7+ portions of fruit and veg a day.
    Oh and with that soup I mentioned, add the fore-mentioned veg and drink with soya milk, don't eat whole grains tea or coffee whilst you eat it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coppy)
    You may be anemic! You aren't getting enough iron in your blood!
    Go to the doctor and get some medication which increases iron levels!
    One of my family had the same symptoms as you and they found out they were anemic!
    You're an idiot.

ReputationRep:
    It's highly likely your diet is the root cause of your fatigue. I'm no doctor but fruit and vegetables burn energy much more slowly than the sugars you find in junk foods. Junk foods use up energy very quickly, leaving you with low energy unless you top up instantaneously with more junk!

Don't do that though. Try to eat more fruit and veg basically. As for your joints, see a doctor. In the mean time try Cod Liver Oil, that's good for joints.

The out of breath issue is that your lungs are too small as they are never exerted, so are never encouraged to grow. When you do use more energy than usual, your lungs can't pump air quickly enough around your body to give it the oxygen replenishment it needs, so pumps too quickly, stretches and totally depletes you of energy.
    Diagonosis for that is simple cardio exercise (running, jogging, taking stairs more often), so your lung can grow and have an increased capacity for air.

Hope this helped in some way.

ReputationRep:
    diabetes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

Have you thought about whether you are anaemic. Do you eat meat? If you have tiredness and muscle weakness this could be it.

ReputationRep:
    You could have chronic fatigue syndrome. If you've had glandular fever in the last few years, it's not uncommon for CFS to persist when the other symptoms have passed. As for the joints, I'm not sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude Where's My Username)
    It's highly likely your diet is the root cause of your fatigue. I'm no doctor but fruit and vegetables burn energy much more slowly than the sugars you find in junk foods. Junk foods use up energy very quickly, leaving you with low energy unless you top up instantaneously with more junk!

Don't do that though. Try to eat more fruit and veg basically. As for your joints, see a doctor. In the mean time try Cod Liver Oil, that's good for joints.

The out of breath issue is that your lungs are too small as they are never exerted, so are never encouraged to grow. When you do use more energy than usual, your lungs can't pump air quickly enough around your body to give it the oxygen replenishment it needs, so pumps too quickly, stretches and totally depletes you of energy.
    Diagonosis for that is simple cardio exercise (running, jogging, taking stairs more often), so your lung can grow and have an increased capacity for air.

Hope this helped in some way.
    When exercising make sure you don't get out of breath, don't get to the point where your sucking it in desperately, keep it just below that level for an extended period.
    In other words pace yourself.

Also flaxseed oil is a good alternative if you can't have cod liver oil.
    Hemp seeds are also good for fatty acids.

ReputationRep:
    Diet tends to be the underlying factor in feeling drowsy.

Make sure you have a balanced diet throughout the day with an adequate amount of slow-releasing carbohydrates.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 3, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.