Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MarinaM)
    Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle - you cannot know the speed a particle is travelling and its position at the same time.

Hence this silly joke:

Two scientists are in a bar. One says to the other, "Is that Heisenberg over there?" and the other replies, "I'm not sure."

I will try it at my interviewer :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by explosions hurt)
    A live cat and a deceased cat have the same number of particles. Structurally there's no difference.
    I'm highly skeptical of that given that there are gazillions of chemical changes in your body every day (and thus different number of particles). Many of those chemical reactions will continue immediately after you die and thus have a different number of atoms.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I read the book ages ago, I remember it started off with a lot of basic things about molecules...kind of like AS chemistry revised :p: best thing to do if you want to refresh your mind about it is just to flick through :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomheppy)
    I'm not a scientist but isn't that meant to be velocity?
    Neither am I, so it probably is. My bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rbnphlp)
    I will try it at my interviewer :p:
    I'm sure it would make an excellent ice breaker.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tomheppy)
    I'm highly skeptical of that given that there are gazillions of chemical changes in your body every day (and thus different number of particles). Many of those chemical reactions will continue immediately after you die and thus have a different number of atoms.
    Whilst I get what you're saying atoms, aren't created or destroyed by the typical chemical processes :p:

As for the OP, the book deals with quite a lot of stuff regarding ~modern Physics - from bits on the development of theories regarding the atom, to the double slit experiment and all that sort of thing, to quantum mechanics and touches on things like string theory at the end briefly. It's not really something you can summarise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MarinaM)
    Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle - you cannot know the speed a particle is travelling and its position at the same time.
    it's worse than that, you can't know either one precisely.

EDIT: and yes, it should be velocity

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _KilgoreTrout_)
    I mentioned it in my PS and got asked, "Why is the cat being dead or alive at all significant, does it not just tell you that the experimenter doesn't know what state the cat is in and nothing more?"

I would think of ways you would answer that question and others like it. I was a while since I had read it when I had my interview, September to December I think, 3 months about.

Woah what was your answer to that q if you dont mind me asking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Itchynscratchy)
    it's worse than that, you can't know either one precisely.

EDIT: and yes, it should be velocity
    I should really stick to subjects I know about, :p:

But thank you for the correction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kirky743)
    Woah what was your answer to that q if you dont mind me asking?
    I just talked about how the difference between the decision of the death of the cat being made from mechanical randomness, and a quantum event was that with the mechanical device you could theoretically calculate when the cat with die, that I would be difficult and possibly impossible in practice but still theoretically right. But with the quantum one, even if you knew all the starting information you could only work out a probability.
    He then picked some holes in what I said.

ReputationRep:
    I just talked about how the difference between the decision of the death of the cat being made from mechanical randomness, and a quantum event was that with the mechanical device you could theoretically calculate when the cat with die, that I would be difficult and possibly impossible in practice but still theoretically right. But with the quantum one, even if you knew all the starting information you could only work out a probability.
    He then picked some holes in what I said.
    may I ask for which uni was this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rbnphlp)
    may I ask for which uni was this?
    Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge.
    wow, one would expect that ..and well done on your offer!!

ReputationRep:
    I finished my interview today ,,they didn't ask anything about Schrödinger's cat ...I talked about complex no's in quantum mechanics and the guy asked me to find the \sqrt{i}..which was nonetheless fun

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.