Turn on thread page Beta

becoming a machine, part 2 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Well, I started off with the whole gym stuff last April, was 5'8" weighing in at 210lbs. I got down to 168lbs by mid November. Since November I've been eating a bit more and focusing on putting some muscle on and as of today I am 172lbs.

I want to cut further, anyway, before I do a proper hardcore bulk. The problem I'm having at the moment is I'm scared to eat much because I'm still quite chubby and having been fat all my life, am scared to end up how I was before again.

So yeah, my goal is 150lbs. I find it easier to set weight goals than bf% goals, etc. I will be doing weights the whole time, eating a high protein diet etc to minimise any muscle loss during the period. Hopefully it's the last cut I'll have to do for a while.

Bit of info on my lifts:
    Deadlift 1RM: 125kg
    Squat 1RM: 95kg
    Bench 1RM: 80kg
    Barbell Row 1RM: 65kg
    Military Press: 40kg

They're all the ones I've tested, anyway. Nothing special, I know. Going to carry on doing a 3 day split, mix the reps up a bit between 5-8.

I was doing a progressive bb routine, which was week 1 - 5, week 2 - 6, week 3 - 7, week 4 - 8 reps then reset back to 5 and increase weight by 10% which was working pretty well for me.

Going to do a big compound on each day, something like:
    Back/bis: Deadlift, Bent-over rows, Pull Ups, Lat Pulldowns (narrow), reverse flys
    Chest/tris: Incline BB, Flat BB, Flys, Tri Pulldowns
    Shoulders/legs: Squat, Mil Press, Seated BB shoulder press, calf raises, SL DL

Let me know what you guys think anyway, I'll update here with my weight and progress each week. Hoping to get to my goal in min of 12 weeks, max of 15. So somewhere between 26th April and May 15th.

ReputationRep:
    Forgot to add that I'll be doing HIIT after each weights session too. 15 mins on the treadmill.

ReputationRep:
    169.8lbs this morning, probably mainly water loss from straightening out my diet a bit. Right direction though.

Did back/bis Monday, chest/tris yesterday.. Did HIIT after both.

Legs/shoulders tomorrow. Finding it hard getting back into eating less, hopefully be easy after a week or two.

ReputationRep:
    Diet for today:
    200g of chicken first thing (tesco's tikka pre cooked stuff)
    mozarella and tomato salad for lunch
    shake (pharmawhey - mint choc, lush) after lunch (2 scoops)
    chicken stir fry this eve (w/ rice)

~1800 cals, 160g protein

Probably about all I'll eat, will adjust what I'm eating depending on the rate I'm losing / stalling / whatever. Trying to realy cut out the carbs as I find a low carb diet does me best for cutting.. Only carbs today were the rice.

To meet my goal of 150 by May 15th I need to lose ~1.4 a week. Hopefully can hit around 2 for now to allow for a bit of a slowdown as I'm approaching the end..

Weight wise and lifts your exactly where I was in October, will be watching.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rucklo)
    Weight wise and lifts your exactly where I was in October, will be watching.
    Ah cool, cheers

ReputationRep:
    Legs & Shoulders today
    Mil press: 30kg x 12, 35kg x 6, 35kg x 5, 35kg x 5
    Seated shoulder press: 3x40kgx8
    Squat: 3x80kgx8
    Calf raise: 3x180kgx8
    shrugs: 3x70kgx10, 2x80kgx8

Not bad at all, didn't do HIIT after, legs were ******. So only gonna do HIIT after my back/bi and chest/tri workouts on mon/weds.

Didn't weigh myself this morning, will do tomoz.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I've not weighed myself because I had such a ***** day of eating on Monday that I'm scared to. (Met up with a girl and went out for lunch and shiz.. ended up probably eating more than twice of what I should have but hey :p:)

On Monday did back/bis, went quite well:
    Deadlift 110x5, 100x6, 100x6.. Ripped off a callus during the first set so took the weight down slightly, killed my hand for the rest of the session but hey, it feels good to bleed on the barbell.. Gonna get some liquid chalk I think, the gym don't allow standard chalk.
    Bent-over rows: 50x7, 50x7, 50x8
    Lat pulldowns: 49x10, 56x7, 56x6

Did some cardio then, 15 mins HIIT.. didn't want to mess my hand up any more.. :p:

Did chest/tris yesterday, also calves. (I know random, but I have a gig on saturday and didn't want to do calves before hand :p:)
    incline first, 65kg for 3 sets of 8
    flys (machine, shoot me..), 56kg for 3 sets of 8
    flat 65kg for 3 sets of 8
    then did some assisted dips (3-4 sets of 8-10), getting close to where I can do full bw now.
    overhead tricep extensions 3 sets of 8, forget the weight now.. Couldn't do my standard tricep pulldowns cas machine was buggered.

ReputationRep:
    Are you gripping the bar correctly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    Are you gripping the bar correctly?
    I think I'm gripping it a bit too high, it's bizarre, my left hand is always fine. Never had a problem (I alternate my grip too), yet I'm tearing my right hand on an almost weekly basis. I think the chalk will help and at least allow me to grip stronger for longer, I'm going to pay more attention to where my hands are too.

ReputationRep:
    Chalk will probably help. But also, make sure you are placing your hand carefully, with the inside of your knuckles (the callusy bit) touching the bar first, then wrap your fingers around the bar.

ReputationRep:
    Hold it lower near where the fingers start. This prevents the bar pinching the callouses and ripping them off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    Hold it lower near where the fingers start. This prevents the bar pinching the callouses and ripping them off.

And that, is why a picture is so much better than words.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)

Ah thanks, that's a great help.

I thought that was ~the placement I was always using, will definately pay more attention to it. Going to take next Mon off of deadlifting to give my hand time to recover properly then see how it goes with the new grip the week after.

ReputationRep:
    Get some zinc oxide athletic tape; or just some bandage tape from tesco/asda for about £1. And tape it up a lot. If that doesn't work, wear a glove until it heals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    Get some zinc oxide athletic tape; or just some bandage tape from tesco/asda for about £1. And tape it up a lot. If that doesn't work, wear a glove until it heals.
    I used to deadlift with gloves, found that above 100kg or so though I struggled to hold the grip for my whole sets.. It's quite often my grip going before anything else with the lift in general anyway, without any gloves.

ReputationRep:
    Chalk will fix all. Go and get some yesterday.

ReputationRep:
    Right, did shoulders today, also featured some pullups and leg pressing (didn't squat/calf raise because I'm going to a gig tomorrow and would like to be able to mosh/move/generally be alive.. Something that I rarely can do after a legs day) I did some calf raises on weds though to make up for not doing them today.. and yes I know that a leg press is hardly a great replacement for a squat, but bite me.

Been stuck with a 1rm on the OHP for a bit now, doesn't help that the gyms barbells go up in gaps of 5kg and I've not thought it be worth using the oly barbell (which is always in high demand) for a weight less than the max of the standard ones.. Stuck at around 40kg anyway for a while.. So decided to do some push presses for a month instead to see if I can get over the hurdle.

Push presses went well anyway, did 40kg for 8 reps, 3 sets.. Relative ease, will up that a bit next week.. Go for 45 I think. Much nicer than the 35 I was doing for strict military!

Other than that did some standard seated OHP (40kgx6-7x3), leg press 120kgx3x15, shrugs 60kgx8x2, 80kgx6x2 (moved those away from my back day, as found my grip couldn't take it after my deadlifts) and some assisted dips (this time more vertical to place emphasis on my delts rather than chest.. try to lean forward as much as poss when doing them on chest day)..

Really enjoyed the push presses anyway, so hoping they can get me over a plateau that's bugged me for a while. Tis hard trying to get weights up whilst in a defecit, I am at least making some very slow progress however, presumably down to nerve improvements and the odd few days where I'll overeat a bit etc.. Really looking forward to finally getting down to my target 150lbs before properly bulking up.. Will start a more concrete routine then probably either SS or WS4SB to make sure my lifts are constantly progressing.

Will weigh myself tomorrow morning, not hopeful for having lost anything though.

ReputationRep:
    Weighed myself as promised, 171 this morning. So probably means little change of the week. Need to be stricter with my diet, been out too much, drank a bit much etc..

ReputationRep:
    Back day today.. Didn't deadlift cas of my hand, will do again next Mon.

Bent-over rows: 50x8, 50x8, 50x8, 50x7 (really tried for that 8th but just wasn't gonna happen)
    Lat Pulldowns: 56x7, 49x10, 49x10
    Reverse flies (machine): 28x10, 35x8, 42x8
    Shrugs: (figured I might as well if im not deadlifting) 60x10, 60x10, 70x8, 70x8

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.