Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    For me, I do not think that it is a good idea to employ homeless people due to their instability. What do you guys think?

ReputationRep:
    There's probably a reason why they're homeless in the first place, to be brutally honest.

ReputationRep:
    ... I was expecting this thread to be based on some sort of counter-argument suggesting that it was a good idea.

How foolish of me.

ReputationRep:
    If they're the best person for the job, then yes.

ReputationRep:
    absolutely, if said homeless person is willing to commit to work/training. In fact I know a former homeless man who has set up an IT company and also trains/employs homeless people.

ReputationRep:
    Where are they supposed to send the invoices? Just drop them outside on the street?

ReputationRep:
    i can safely say i would never employ someone that doesnt have a place to live

ReputationRep:
    definitely manual labour and stuff, but more office based jobs might scare away customers

ReputationRep:
    They have no obligation to do so.

And even if they did, there is a matter of skills, training, even health issues and learning how to interact in society again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajandkwameali)
    They have no obligation to do so.
    Do you not believe they have a moral obligation?

Rousseau is great for moral philosophy, if you wanna understand why i think they do.

Hell, if all companies employed 1 homeless person who they'd train up and help, then we'd have few, if any homeless people.

They're not animals you know. Some of you are talking about them as if they are a different species.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajandkwameali)

And even if they did, there is a matter of skills, training, even health issues and learning how to interact in society again.
    Homeless people aren't all deranged and crazy people you know. There are many people who are homeless due to a number of reasons such as loosing their job and so cannot afford to pay bills/morgage, domestic violence and family breakdown to name a few reasons.

What health issues?

I have known homeless people with degree's and qualifications in things such as nursing, homeless people don't necessarily need more or less training than anyone else.

Learn to interact with society? Are you kidding me?

ReputationRep:
    Most are registered drug addicts if the government won't give them a place to live why should companies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clair1987)
    Homeless people aren't all deranged and crazy people you know. There are many people who are homeless due to a number of reasons such as loosing their job and so cannot afford to pay bills/morgage, domestic violence and family breakdown to name a few reasons.

What health issues?

I have known homeless people with degree's and qualifications in things such as nursing, homeless people don't necessarily need more or less training than anyone else.

Learn to interact with society? Are you kidding me?
    Yeah of course all your homeless friends sitting round talking about what they did they did for their dissertation not how many cans of special brew they have just stolen

ReputationRep:
    It's a tough one because it would be seriously unfair to give a homeless person job over someone who was more qualified and suited to the job. But at the same time being homeless is a vicious cycle and they need help breaking it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Davidosh)
    It's a tough one because it would be seriously unfair to give a homeless person job over someone who was more qualified and suited to the job. But at the same time being homeless is a vicious cycle and they need help breaking it
    Hence why I said: If they're the best person for the job.

ReputationRep:
    Only if they have a clean suit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcusmerehay)
    There's probably a reason why they're homeless in the first place, to be brutally honest.
    What's that?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Businesses should be able to choose to employ who they want. They also should employ people because of the skills an individual has, and not because they have some sort of moral obligation to employ them.

Besides, the likelihood would be they still remain homeless anyway, not sorting the problem at all.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry Guy's but your missing something.

Business's do employ homeless people

1) The Big issue
    2) Golf shop sales

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.