Turn on thread page Beta

Acceptance at postgrad level not as impressive as undergraduate? watch

Hey all,

I've recently been accepted to do my masters at Imperial, and although I'm very happy and proud to have been accepted at such a good university, it doesn't seem as impressive as if I was accepted there as an undergrad.

To have been accepted there for my bachelors I would have needed AAB at A2. Which I didn't have! It seems like it's much easier to be accepted on postgraduate courses than undergraduate.

It's not to say that I don't think my application was good. My modules from my bachelors and references were very good/relevant for the course I applied for, but it still seems like being accepted at such a good university is more impressive than at undergrad level.

What are everyone's views on this?

Cheers,
    Ritchie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ritchie888)
    Hey all,

I've recently been accepted to do my masters at Imperial, and although I'm very happy and proud to have been accepted at such a good university, it doesn't seem as impressive as if I was accepted there as an undergrad.

To have been accepted there for my bachelors I would have needed AAB at A2. Which I didn't have! It seems like it's much easier to be accepted on postgraduate courses than undergraduate.

It's not to say that I don't think my application was good. My modules from my bachelors and references were very good/relevant for the course I applied for, but it still seems like being accepted at such a good university is more impressive than at undergrad level.

Cheers,
    Ritchie
    For postgrad there are still entry requirements, it's only easier as you have met the requirements this time :p:

ReputationRep:
    Not at all. Its more impressive to be accepted onto a postgraduate course full stop. What's more important, your degree or your A-levels?

ReputationRep:
    If you thought it was overly easy to get accepted, its probably a good sign that you did well at your undergrad, and that you are well equipped to do well at the postgrad.

Best of luck, and don't forget - Enjoy It.

ReputationRep:
    There is more competition for undergraduate compared to postgraduate, thereby making it less impressive if you obtain an offer.

Nonetheless, Imperial is a fantastic university and you should be very pleased with your offer!

ReputationRep:
    Hey all,

Cheers,
    Ritchie
    I think it depends on the university, but it is only a matter of fewer applicants and higher expectations... So, all in all, it's just as "impressive".

Besides, I don't mean to sound aggressive, but... why do you care? You're doing the course because it matches your interests and will be useful to you, not for prestige. And I don't see the point of comparing postgrad with undergrad, since you're a postgrad now. If any comparison is to be made, shouldn't it be between acceptance to similar postgrad progammes in different universities?

ReputationRep:
    regardless of how impressive it is to get in, it'll be very impressive to graduate from.

ReputationRep:
    There's simply more competition for undergraduate places and so that may seem more impressive. However, the quality of applicants for postgraduate programmes is probably higher. All in all, I think you can be well-proud of getting an offer from Imperial. I'm sure there are plenty of people who envy your position ;-)

ReputationRep:
    I am currently applying for postgrad, having graduated last year, so bear in mind that these are not the opinions of a current postgrad student!

Firstly, as has been said before, postgraduate study is much more self-selecting than undergraduate. I think most people, coming towards the end of their undergraduate degrees, will have a good idea of whether or not they are capable of continuing. Much of that is inclination as well as ability.

But at postgrad level, as I see it, you can no longer let your self-esteem and sense of academic ability rest on some arbitrary string of letters and stars and a brand-name institution. I think you have to realise that being anything like impressive at this level depends upon your ability to produce original, intelligent work with qualities that your A Levels and even your degree have not really been able to measure.

Finally, 'impressiveness' of an institution only applies to those who see getting in as an end in itself. It isn't. It's simply a chance, an opportunity to show what you can do. The rest is up to you.

ReputationRep:
    Depends who is supposed to be being impressed.

ReputationRep:
    This topic was covered not so long ago and the conclusion was that postgraduate is generally harder because applicants are far, far stronger than they were at A level. Anyway, concerning the general argument that undergraduate is tougher, the number of undergraduate applicants is higher but that does not mean it is more competitive. For example, the success rate at Oxford for English is 21% at undergraduate but 17% for postgraduate.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Hey all,

Cheers,
    Ritchie
    So essentially this is a matter of 'any club which would want me as a member, I wouldn't want to join'?:p:
    Seriously, though: Who are you hoping to 'impress'? Let's face it: the only people you are going to impress purely by getting an offer (as opposed to actually doing well on the course once you're on it) will be your immediate family, and they're probably proud of you anyway, no matter what you do. Thinking of applying and getting offers as a way of proving what a clever boy you are and earning the right to give yourself a pat on the back is kind of missing the point. Also, I don't really see what the problem is with universities having different entry requirements, which possibly favour different candidates, at postgraduate level. It's a different situation, and as applicants will already have completed a degree in a related subject, universities will have more - and presumably more directly relevant - information to go on than A-level grades. Surely that's a good thing?:dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Where did you do your undergraduate at?

ReputationRep:
    As others have said, depends who you want to impress. The general public will usually be more impressed by someone doing a Masters or PhD at Imperial/Oxbridge than someone doing an undergrad degree. Sixth-formers and recent offer-holders will always favour acceptance at undergrad: for them, just getting in is the be-all and end-all. Postgrads and academics will care more about your degree class, conference papers, and funding awards.

Cheers for everyone's views! You all make very good points.
    Just to clarify, I personally don't think its more impressive to be accepted at undergraduate level, it's just the general feel I have gotten from this experience. I guess my wording was a bit unclear but I'm very happy with my situation.

(Original post by LiterallyInsane)
    Where did you do your undergraduate at?
    I went to Reading university and studied cybernetics and control engineering. IMO Reading is a fantastic university.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers for everyone's views! You all make very good points.
    Just to clarify, I personally don't think its more impressive to be accepted at undergraduate level, it's just the general feel I have gotten from this experience. I guess my wording was a bit unclear but I'm very happy with my situation.

I went to Reading university and studied cybernetics and control engineering. IMO Reading is a fantastic university.
    Oh ok Reading hmm ,,, anyways good for you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Athena)
    Most people who have done a postgraduate degree will realise - especially if you have finding - the appropriate level of "wow" studying at different universities conveys. Eg there are some Masters at Cambridge for postgrad where it's pretty obvious they'll take anyone who can pay for the course. For other postgraduate degrees, even the people rejected pre-interview have absolutely amazing CVs and stellar results. It's not just about the brand name any more for anyone who knows anything about postgraduate study. For those who don't - they'll probably be just as impressed by seeing Imperial on your CV for postgrad as they would have been for undergrad - if nothing else, it suggests that you chose the right subject to study for your degree and have shined as a consequence.
    What kind of courses?

All the courses I'm interested in seem to be massively over-subscribed :o:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by crackingod)
    What kind of courses?

All the courses I'm interested in seem to be massively over-subscribed :o:
    I don't want to name names But I think most Oxbridge grads know of at least a few programmes that aren't nearly as rigorous or competitive as you would imagine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Athena)
    I don't want to name names But I think most Oxbridge grads know of at least a few programmes that aren't nearly as rigorous or competitive as you would imagine.
    I could go through the stats for all courses, but I won't :p:

I just got the impression that most "general" (meaning not too specialized) humanities and social sciences courses are very popular!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by flugestuge)
    The reason is easy to understand.
    The very brightest and most ambitious in the UK go to Oxford and Cambridge for their undergraduate studies.
    For postgraduate courses, the very brightest and most ambitious in the UK flee to Harvard, Yale, MIT and Stanford.
    So when you apply for a postgraduate course in a decent university in the UK, you are largely competing with the second tier of the UK's students.

For instance, at Oxford, apart from a couple of courses, like the insanely competitive postgraduate BPhil and the BCL,
    it is much easier to get in at postgraduate level than it is to gain admission at the undergraduate level.
    Many Oxbridge graduates leave for a lucrative career in the city, while Oxbridge graduates who plan academic careers try to head to the US.
    A few Oxbridgers, usually the less ambitious, stay on in the UK for further studies.
    :facepalm:
    And that's all I'm going to say to that.

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Days Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  2. University of Sunderland
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
  3. Plymouth College of Art
    All MA Programmes Postgraduate
    Thu, 19 Jul '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.