Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I applied for law (3yrs) at both durham and nottingham at the beginning of october and have had no offers or rejections from these two unis yet. Has anybody else had a reply and is it a case of 'the longer the better'? Anybody who applied last year, how long did it take then please???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by George-W-Duck)
    Hi, I applied for law (3yrs) at both durham and nottingham at the beginning of october and have had no offers or rejections from these two unis yet. Has anybody else had a reply and is it a case of 'the longer the better'? Anybody who applied last year, how long did it take then please???
    I've also applied at Nottingham for law...and I haven't heard from them yet...I'm assuming that they're waiting till after they have all the applications in till they make offers.

Where else have you applied??

G

ReputationRep:
    Warwick, leeds, newcastle and leicester, got offers from all except warwick, theres way too many people with my grades to compete with!!! Where did you apply?

ReputationRep:
    Warwick, leeds, newcastle and leicester, got offers from all except warwick, theres way too many people with my grades to compete with!!! Where did you apply?
    Cambridge, UCL, Kings, Nottingham, Bristol and Leicester

I got an offer from Leicester too...AAB!! Were you at that open day they had about 2 weeks ago?? Ihaven't heard from any of the other unis yet...apart from cambridge interview...

G

ReputationRep:
    Leicester replied amazingly quick, but i couldnt make it to the open day, was it any good? I felt that if i didnt get into any of my first choice unis (dur, warwick, nottingham) then leeds would be the back up so i probably wouldnt go to leicester. How did the cambridge interview go? I was going to reply but i didnt think my chances of getting in would be too high.

ReputationRep:
    Leicester replied amazingly quick, but i couldnt make it to the open day, was it any good? I felt that if i didnt get into any of my first choice unis (dur, warwick, nottingham) then leeds would be the back up so i probably wouldnt go to leicester. How did the cambridge interview go? I was going to reply but i didnt think my chances of getting in would be too high.
    Yeah...Leicester's a really nice place. On top of that, when I asked they said they only set about 4 essays a year!!!lol!!!

Cambridge interview went ok...not brilliantly but not bad...i don't reckon it was enough but i'm not too bothered really.

How did you do in AS's?? Also...what are the offers that u've been given??

G

ReputationRep:
    I got A's in general studies, maths with mechanics, chemistry, business and law (all predicted A this year), but i think the sticking point is with the universities that look back at my GCSE's because although mine were good in comparison to most peoples, compared to the 11 A* superstars they were poor.
    My offers are AAA for leeds and AAB for newcastle and leicester, but with me living near leeds then there is some scheme where the offer can be reduced to BBB, which seems a bit biased, but im not complaining!

Whats your predicted grades?

ReputationRep:
    I got A's in general studies, maths with mechanics, chemistry, business and law (all predicted A this year), but i think the sticking point is with the universities that look back at my GCSE's because although mine were good in comparison to most peoples, compared to the 11 A* superstars they were poor.
    My offers are AAA for leeds and AAB for newcastle and leicester, but with me living near leeds then there is some scheme where the offer can be reduced to BBB, which seems a bit biased, but im not complaining!

Whats your predicted grades?
    Wow!! Great results!! This year i'm predicted 3As for Biology, Physics and Maths (Mechanics)...nothing to do with law...but I'm lucky cos i had good GCSE'S and i've got loads of extra-curricular stuff too.

Last year I got 3As and a C in chem!!!! Rejected it tho!!lol

G

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry gets even worse in A2, with that and maths you go home and your brain is in a spin! Ive got some extra curricular activities and stuff but it didn't seem to rock warwicks boat I hear unis prefer undergrad law students to not take law so you have another advantage there!

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry gets even worse in A2, with that and maths you go home and your brain is in a spin! Ive got some extra curricular activities and stuff but it didn't seem to rock warwicks boat I hear unis prefer undergrad law students to not take law so you have another advantage there!
    Tell me about it...i couldn't get my head around chemistry..so i figured....drop it!!!lol!

I also heard that unis prefer non-law students...but i don't know how true it is. What other extra-curricular activities did/do you have then??

I was really lucky cos i had the opportunity to do almost everything at my school....so i had rugby, DofE, school prefect, Young Enterprise...other stuff too...

G

ReputationRep:
    I do occasional work at a solicitors in the hols, was head boy at past school so had to put hours of my spare time into preparing speeches and meeting greeting people. I didnt get the oppportunity to do D o E till too late but play for the county football team aswell as two other teams (and a rugby league team), do you think this amount of sport lowered my chances of been accepted as it made me look 2d???

ReputationRep:
    I do occasional work at a solicitors in the hols, was head boy at past school so had to put hours of my spare time into preparing speeches and meeting greeting people. I didnt get the oppportunity to do D o E till too late but play for the county football team aswell as two other teams (and a rugby league team), do you think this amount of sport lowered my chances of been accepted as it made me look 2d???
    No way!!! I reckon you'd have had a great chance of getting into oxbridge!! Head Boy! The sport doesn't make you look 2D...if anything it gives you more dimensions as it shows you're not some geek with no life outside of school!!

Are you on a gap year then??

G

ReputationRep:
    nope, in the middle of A2s, hoping to bring home the 5 A's, if anything the rejection by warwick has made me more determined to prove them wrong!

What sort of things did they ask in the cambridge interview???

ReputationRep:
    nope, in the middle of A2s, hoping to bring home the 5 A's, if anything the rejection by warwick has made me more determined to prove them wrong!

What sort of things did they ask in the cambridge interview???
    It was weird...there were two interviews...one with the admissions tutor and the other with the director of studies. I expected the first one to be about my personal statement...but they didn't ask anything about it...or give me the opportunity to bring it up myself. The only thing about my studies he asked was my A2 choices.

Anyway...the rest of that interview was spent discussing human right, Saddam Hussein, Guantanamo Bay, stuff like that.

The second interview, they gave me 5 passages outlining legal borderline legal situations, and i had to choose two to speak about. And every time i said something, the tutor would pick holes in it...trying to back be into a corner...it was quite tough!!

G

ReputationRep:
    I'd hate interviews like that, people picking holes, i suppose it wouldn't be too hard normally but the key aspect is to prove you can see both sides to everything and you have a wide perspective to everything in life.

ReputationRep:
    I'd hate interviews like that, people picking holes, i suppose it wouldn't be too hard normally but the key aspect is to prove you can see both sides to everything and you have a wide perspective to everything in life.
    Well...i reckon i did my best so i've just got to hope it was enough.

G

ReputationRep:
    Nottingham are lazy, cause I ain't heard anything for law either :confused: . Is it the straight law course LLB, that you two have decided to do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    Nottingham are lazy, cause I ain't heard anything for law either :confused: . Is it the straight law course LLB, that you two have decided to do?
    Yeh, straight law llb 3yrs, with the option of a year abroad after 1st year. Is it the same with you?

G

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gzftan)
    Yeh, straight law llb 3yrs, with the option of a year abroad after 1st year. Is it the same with you?

G
    Yeah. Nottingham are testing my nerves. I sent my Ucas application over two months ago and I still haven't heard from them, not even a postcard to say that they have had my application. I believe some of the members on here have recieved offers. Is it still 'AAB' that they want or is it 'AAA', I remeber Leeds University had increased their offer this year.

I have only applied to:

Manchester
    Manchester Metropolitan - Unconditional offer
    Leicester University - Unconditional offer
    Leeds
    Sheffield - AAB offer
    Nottingham

MY first choice would be Nottingham, however I would consider Sheffield too. Failing that, I have definitely got a place at Liecester University.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bhaal85)
    Yeah. Nottingham are testing my nerves. I sent my Ucas application over two months ago and I still haven't heard from them, not even a postcard to say that they have had my application. I believe some of the members on here have recieved offers. Is it still 'AAB' that they want or is it 'AAA', I remeber Leeds University had increased their offer this year.
    Really?? I haven't heard about neone who's had an offer from Nottingham yet...i think that their standard offer is AAB....but it might have been increased to AAA, not sure.

G

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.