Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was just wondering once the online application process for student accommodation in halls has begun, how long do I have until all the 'good' accommodation has gone?

ReputationRep:
    I always thought that universities allocate somewhat randomly, after a certain deadline, not on a first come first served basis?

I hope. :erm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jl789)
    I was just wondering once the online application process for student accommodation in halls has begun, how long do I have until all the 'good' accommodation has gone?

it depends on which university you chose.

and i would say up intill may or june
    oh and it's first come first service

ReputationRep:
    awesome- i thought perhaps it'd be something crazy like a week!

ReputationRep:
    nah university are not that cruel....

ReputationRep:
    If you're applying for this year, a fair bit of the desirable accomodation will go to those who have accepted unconditional offers (ie people who are on a gap year). However after that it's FCFS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jl789)

As I'm not from the UK - what is considered 'good' in terms of residence hall accomodation?

Where do I apply for accommodation? Online, through uni website? I assume you have to have firmed the offer. And what about your insurance choice? I mean...you have to live somewhere? It's driving my crazy...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hannah_sasuri)
    As I'm not from the UK - what is considered 'good' in terms of residence hall accomodation?

Where do I apply for accommodation? Online, through uni website? I assume you have to have firmed the offer. And what about your insurance choice? I mean...you have to live somewhere? It's driving my crazy...
    Good is relative. I'd take good to mean a nice modern, self catered accomodation (preferebly with an en suite, but that's just my preference).

In terms of applying for accomodation, your university's website should tell you how to apply for accomodation, and you apply for accom at both your firm and insurance (if you don't get into one or the other it's not a major issue, as they'll just give the room to someone who has accepted).

99% of the time if you get your firm or insurance, you'll get somewhere to stay in University halls of residence.

ReputationRep:

Price generally reflects how good the accomodation - the better the accomodation, the worse the price. The best accomodation a uni will offer should have en-suite, modern kitchen and spacious bedroom w/desk, sink and wardrobe at the very least. Many universities go further then this and have even more desirable extras.

It depends on the university how you apply for accomodation, and when. For you, once you have chosen a firm and insurance choice, your firm should send you an accomodation booklet, which will include a form for you to choose your accomodation, usually giving you options such as which halls you want to stay in, or sometimes more vaguely en-suite or standard (depends on the uni). Some unis have upgraded to online application which works the same way just electronically. Make sure you know where you would like to stay as soon as possible so that when you recieve the accomodation booklet you can reply immediatley as halls are offered on a first come first served basis (sometimes a distance basis too, which isn't a problem for international students).

Sometimes your insurance choice will ask what your preferences are for accomodation, but they will not reserve accomodation for you. If you have to accept your insurance choice, the uni will try and house you in halls at all costs, but you may miss out, and in that situation you would have look into renting privately - universities often keep a list of private letting agents, but you would to make the effort to find flatmates, which universities will help with to.

In this situation you can also look into staying in temporary accomodation such as a hostel until places in halls free up (they usually do as people decide that the uni/course isn't for them.)

I hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much!

I hope that so far not many people have applied for accommodation at SOAS (I think I'll end up firming it)...I guess that the most busy period is March/April.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Whether or not unis allocate on a first-come-first served or randomised basis, whether they accept applications from only firm applicants or insurance as well, when they open applications, how much choice they give you, how you apply, whether they allocate before or after you get your results, and so on, all vary from uni to uni. You really need to check out the details of each place you're applying to.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much!

I hope that so far not many people have applied for accommodation at SOAS (I think I'll end up firming it)...I guess that the most busy period is March/April.
    My pleasure

i shouldn't imagine you will have any problem getting accomodation as you are an international student

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.