diet
    38.27%
    exercise
    17.28%
    both equally as important
    44.44%

ReputationRep:
    diet or exercise?

i am having a discussion via PM with someone, its a follow on from a topic that was locked yesterday, he said you can basically eat what you want and lose weight as long as you exercise, i think what you eat is more important than exercise when it comes to losing weight

so which is more important

Diet.

ReputationRep:
    Exercise - ALWAYS.

Diets are not always healthy.

ReputationRep:
    Diet - it's far easier to gain weight than loose it. Consider a bit of a naughty night out diet wise - a pizza dinner, five pints, a couple of bags of peanuts, a burger on way home. You're looking at about 2000+ calories there, you're not going to burn that by walking to work the morning after. A mile running burns 80-120 cals depending on bodyweight and a few other factors, so you're looking at about 140 miles running a week to eat, drink and be merry without weight gain, and that's impossibile for all but a very dedicated and gifted few.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Butterflyleg)
    Exercises - ALWAYS.

so a person could eat what they want and still lose weight?

so what scientists and dietitians all over the world have been saying for years (that you need a 500 cal deficit from what your body needs in order to lose weight) is wrong?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinktinktinkerbell)
    so a person could eat what they want and still lose weight?

so what scientists and dietitians all over the world have been saying for years (that you need a 500 cal deficit from what your body needs in order to lose weight) is wrong?
    Well yes, you can eat everything - but not as much as you want.

ReputationRep:
    Well yes, you can eat everything - but not as much as you want.

ah but the point i was making to that lad was that i could eat what i want, when i want and as much as i want and he still thinks i could lose weight if i exercised and i know its bull because i exercise anyway and my weight stays stable

ReputationRep:
    ah but the point i was making to that lad was that i could eat what i want, when i want and as much as i want and he still thinks i could lose weight if i exercised and i know its bull because i exercise anyway and my weight stays stable
    No, it would be too beautiful. Hm, maybe you're just doing it wrong? what kind of exercise do you do, how long, how many times a week?

ReputationRep:
    Exercise - ALWAYS.

To a certain extent, yepp. Well, it's the 'healthiest' method I'd say.

Step the exercise up a notch then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James')

Step the exercise up a notch then.
    im not saying i want to lose weight, the point of this topic was the guy was saying i could but i very much doubt it since im not in a calorie deficit

ReputationRep:
    Tough one, if you are skinny then its diet, if you are fat I would say both.

Since a fat person eating next to nothing or dieting would be take ages to lose weight.

A thin or thinish person just needs to watch what they eat.

ReputationRep:
    The part that plays the most is the diet! The diet is very important when loseing weight. Exercise plays part aswel. So get off ur *** and go to the gym and stop eating ***

ReputationRep:
    im not saying i want to lose weight, the point of this topic was the guy was saying i could but i very much doubt it since im not in a calorie deficit
    You could eat a lot, and still lose weight. Eating 'what you want' is surely dependant upon the person. If you pushed yourself, you'd be amazed what you could lose, but then you'd be putting a lot of stress on your body which in turn isn't a healthy way of losing weight.

Diet can either aid or hinder the weight loss, but overall, exercise will be the most influencial factor in weight loss.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James')
    You could eat a lot, and still lose weight. Eating 'what you want' is surely dependant upon the person. If you pushed yourself, you'd be amazed what you could lose, but then you'd be putting a lot of stress on your body which in turn isn't a healthy way of losing weight.

Diet can either aid or hinder the weight loss, but overall, exercise will be the most influencial factor in weight loss.

yeah it depends on the person, so like take me for example (only using myself as i know my diet) in a day i could happily eat (not saying i do every day btw) a 800g pepperoni lasagne (about 1100 cals per whole one) 5-6 bags of crisps, 4-8 of those seeded burger buns with mayo on

thats got to be a canny number of cals there, trying to out train that would be hard

ReputationRep:
    you tend not to weigh less if you exercise but lose the inches!!

ReputationRep:
    yeah it depends on the person, so like take me for example (only using myself as i know my diet) in a day i could happily eat (not saying i do every day btw) a 800g pepperoni lasagne (about 1100 cals per whole one) 5-6 bags of crisps, 4-8 of those seeded burger buns with mayo on

thats got to be a canny number of cals there, trying to out train that would be hard
    My brother was like that till his late 20;s but after a year started being skinny again.

I remember once when he was about 24 or 25 he sat down in front of a football match on tv, ate a large donner kebab and chips, 2 cans of coke, a cheeseburger and chips(since local takeaway did both on a meal deal for 5.50 delivered) then ate 24 packs of Walkers and a 2 litre pepsi AND a large bar of Dairy milk(i.e not the ones that are £1 for one, thes ones about £2)

I think in part though it was because he was a flirt and a bit of a man whore so slept with loads of girls, the 2 periods he gained weight were when he was single.

ReputationRep:
    I would say a balance really.
    To a certain extent it depends on the person- but you get people who just up their exercise and eat how they always did and loose weight because they are burning calories. And then you get people who eat way less, do no exercise and equally loose weight.
    Obviously if you stuffed your face daily and ate tonnes and didnt do enough exercise to burn it off you wouldn't loose weight.

I know if i didn't eat as much as i do i would loose weight but equally if i did more exercise i would also loose weight.

god my spelling is bad, sorry!

ReputationRep:
    But what that poster and your pmer is saying is if you increased the exercise to > than your calorie intake you would be in a deficit and lose weight. So say you ate what you wanted and it was 2500 cals as long as you were burning off 3000 cals a day you would lose weight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jennie1987)
    But what that poster and your pmer is saying is if you increased the exercise to > than your calorie intake you would be in a deficit and lose weight. So say you ate what you wanted and it was 2500 cals as long as you were burning off 3000 cals a day you would lose weight.
    how hard would it be to burn that amount of cals though

ReputationRep:
    **** exersise, eat as much choc as u want u lard

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.