What we arguing about again bro?
    Um I have no idea.

Bye now

ReputationRep:
    diet makes you lose pounds but the exercise takes off inches
    both!

ReputationRep:
    Neither

the most important thing is that you're enjoying the excercise that you're doing and what you're eating

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    Neither

the most important thing is that you're enjoying the excercise that you're doing and what you're eating
    see this is why i dont eat healthy all the time as i dont enjoy it and dont like a fair few healthy things

but i love exercise hense why i do it 6 days a week

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tinktinktinkerbell)
    yeah so it would mean like 6 hours on the treadmill to burn 3000 cals :rofl:

i use these sites to work out how many cals ive burnt

http://exercise.about.com/cs/fitness...alorieburn.htm

http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.php
    Your body will burn off most of those calories living, so yes, it is possible fairly easily.

ReputationRep:
    see this is why i dont eat healthy all the time as i dont enjoy it and dont like a fair few healthy things

but i love exercise hense why i do it 6 days a week

Well i eat healthily and enjoy what I eat, I'm more likely to eat better and for it to last long-term, I also understand the importance of treating yourself, and getting a balanc. As for excercise i take part in uni team sports, and find activities i enjoy, such as walking or going for a swim - if you enjoy it, it's more likely to benefit you longterm, as well as help you loose weight

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brotherhood)
    Your body will burn off most of those calories living, so yes, it is possible fairly easily.

so how much exercise would you say it would take roughly to burn that amount?

ReputationRep:
    I know people who eat like pigs but exercise so much that they're still well built! For that reason - excercise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Subcutaneous)
    Neither

I may enjoy eating lard and walking very slowly. How´s that gonna help me lose weight?

ReputationRep:
    so how much exercise would you say it would take roughly to burn that amount?
    Well it depends how much you burn off a day living. I can burn 3,000 calories a day without even trying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brotherhood)
    Well it depends how much you burn off a day living. I can burn 3,000 calories a day without even trying.

well around 2000 for me i guess

ReputationRep:
    Diet is the more important.

Mix it with exercise though and... :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    I think that both are equally as important. I'm a dancer & take classes (learning & teaching) totalling 12 hours studio time a week, I also regularly go to the gym, either to take dynamic yoga, pilates, step or swim/work-out. So I exercise alot. I also eat alot and drink around 2.5 litres of water a day, in order to keep healthy when exercising you need to eat the right stuff or you'll damage your body. I'm lucky, I reasonably enjoy healthy food, so I'm able to maintain quite a balanced diet, but I also have no problem having a chinese here or an indian there, or a snickers & a packet of crisps for lunch!

The problem with "dieting" alone is that one day you won't want to diet anymore, and when you return to eating "normally" you'll either quickly or gradually gain weight again. Also, I don't actually think "dieting" is good for your self-esteem at all. Especially if you are someone who enjoys food.

You need to maintain a healthy, balanced, but not too restricted diet as well as a routine of exercise in order to lose weight and keep it lost!

Also, be careful with just calory counting, you really want to be looking at the sugar content of food as well. Because with the average persons mutabalism, sugar can casue weight gain just as much as excess calories.

ReputationRep:
    well around 2000 for me i guess
    I could do the excess in a little over an hour playing Football or something.

ReputationRep:
    Please excuse the typos, it's been a long day!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Butterflyleg)
    Lol

What a ridiculous assumption you have made, now I have full respect for your idiocy

Exercises are always more important and always more effective if you know how to exercise properly. Diets are not reliable, they are often destructive and usually not healthy as well. If you don't eat like a horse and you do some decent amount of exercise at least five times a week, you'll lose your weight.
    you're doing it wrong, in fact, almost everyone is. Many people simply dont understand the meaning of a balanced diet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bishamon)
    you're doing it wrong, in fact, almost everyone is. Many people simply dont understand the meaning of a balanced diet.
    What am I doing wrong?

ReputationRep:
    I'd say it depends on what sex you are and what kind of weight you're wanting to get down to. For example, someone who would lose weight on 2,500 calories a day could easily manage without exercise. However if another person had to create 500 calorie deficit by going down to a tiny 1,000 to 1,200 calorie intake a day without any exercise in order to lose weight, yes it could be done, but it wouldn't be very enjoyable or maintainable, so adding in exercise so they calorie intake can be bumped up by 200 or so makes a big difference.

ReputationRep:
    it's all about calories.

ReputationRep:
    90% diet, 10% exercise.

You do the exercise to maintain what muscle you have and to potentially keep fit. In the end, your exercise unless you're doing a hell of a lot is going to have a negligable effect on your daily calorific expenditure. What you do in an hour in the gym is equivalent to a 400 cal muffin or whatever... No point in going to the gym if your diet isn't right for your goals.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.