Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello, this is my first post on here, so apologies if it is in the wrong place or wrong in any way.

I graduated in summer 2009 (English BA Hons- 2:1) and took a year out to earn some money and deicde what to do next. I have now decided that I'd like to do the GDL course and train as a solicitor. Bad timing as ever, I decided this last night, today being the deadline for applications. I have a couple of questions about applying, and it'd be really great if someone could help me out with them.

1- How badly disadvantaged will I be by applying after the Feb 1st deadline? Is it possible to still get a place?

2- Which are the best places to do the course at, and how difficult are they to get into?

3- Here: http://www.lawcabs.ac.uk/Site/Pages/CPE/cpeDetails.aspx

there is a long list of institutions which offer the GDL course, however on the specimen application form on the lawcabs website it only offers courses at BPP, Nottingham Kaplan, Anglia Ruskin and College of Law. Why is this? Apologies if it's a really stupid question, but from looking at the websites of individual Universities it seemed that all applications had to go through lawcabs?

Apologies again if these seem like silly questions, as I said I only decided last night that I want to do this, so I'm still getting my head around things.:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    1- How badly disadvantaged will I be by applying after the Feb 1st deadline? Is it possible to still get a place?
    You could still get a place on September 1 - you meet the academic requirements but the main qualification is the ability to pay the fees. They are run as businesses and want your money.

2- Which are the best places to do the course at, and how difficult are they to get into?
    the big brands are College of Law and BPP, followed by Nottingham/Kaplan and Oxlip. they have the largest number of firms signed up for exclusive deals for the LPC and to a somewhat lesser extent GDL. i don't think that necessarily makes them the best for every individual. You may have a particular reason to study in a location that the big names do not cover. You may choose a cheaper provider because you are self-funding. But CoL and BPP do give you access to the NatWest loan scheme, have the most students and very well developed course materials/delivery vehicles.

I was in a similar position to you last year (a non-law finalist who had come to law a bit late in the day). In the end, I decided that I had a realistic shot at getting a training contract, with consistent academics, decent ECs/work experience. It worked out OK and I now have a training contract with all costs reimbursed. You would need to make your own assessment of your chances.

Sorry I have no idea on question 3)

good luck

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.