Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just a bit about me - Im 18, 6'2 and around 13 stone. I joined the gym last june, but didnt start trining properly untill july.

Basically, I just want to get stronger , not really bothered about aesthetics but im not going complaining about getting bigger

So anyway, current lifts:

Squat: 100kg x 5 (122.5kg x 1)
    Deadlift: 130kg x 5 (160kg x 1)
    Bench: 67.5kg x 5 (75kg x 1)
    Press: 50kg x 5
    Row: 55kg x 5 (I do pendlay rows)

For the people that dont know about the routine, heres a link for it:
    http://www.wackyhq.com/madcow5x5/geo...Linear_5x5.htm

ReputationRep:
    Week 1 Day 1

Squat:
    72.5 x 5
    77.5 x 5
    82.5 x 5
    87.5 x 5
    92.5 x 5

Might reduce the weight a bit, as the final 2 sets were pretty hard, and its not meant to be too hard on the 1st week
    I'll see hgow the rest of the week goes

Bench:
    50 x 5
    52.5 x 5
    55 x 5
    57.5 x 5
    60 x 5

Bench was fine.

Pendlay row:
    40 x 5
    42.5 x 5
    45 x 5
    47.5 x 5
    50 x 5

Rows were also fine.

Assistance:
    2 x 15 hypers
    4 x 5 Weighted decline situps

ReputationRep:
    Good program, use it myself (loosely).

But you're increments look too small? I thought you were supposed to go up in increments of 10% of your final weight so if you last set of squats is 100kg then go up in 10kg. I may be wrong though.

ReputationRep:
    I've moved onto this program myself too, however i'm going to take out the vanity pish (sit ups, curls etc...).

Cortez, i just use the spreadsheet, dunno how it's meant to go up tho :o: .

Nice stats, keep it up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cortez)

But you're increments look too small? I thought you were supposed to go up in increments of 10% of your final weight so if you last set of squats is 100kg then go up in 10kg. I may be wrong though.

I know what you mean, but I was recommended to do smaller increments becuase my lifts arent that big yet, and the jump in weights working up to the last set are a bit big.

ReputationRep:
    Yup:

Ramping Weights:

This is basically increasing your weight set to set like warming up. If your top set of 5 is 315, you might go 135, 185, 225, 275, and then 315 all for 5 reps. There are several reasons for this, you are warming up, getting a lot of practice and really groove the coordination of the lifts, and contributing to workload without raising it so high that fatigue overcomes you and you overtrain. If you do 315 for all 5 sets, workload is a lot higher and doing that a couple of times a week ensures that you won't last long on this program.

Typically jumps can be somewhere between 10-15% per set based on your top set (or 12.5% and round up or down). An easy way to figure this is to find out what 10% and 15% are for your top set and then track backwards into the other sets using the variance to round or help it make sense.

Example:

Your top set is 100lbs

10% is 10lbs and 15% is 15lbs

Your 5th set is 100x5, 4th is 90x5, 3rd is 80x5, 2nd is 70x5, and 1st is 60x5

Change squats to 10kg and you might not need to decrease the weight then.

(Original post by Megaloblastic)
    I know what you mean, but I was recommended to do smaller increments becuase my lifts arent that big yet, and the jump in weights working up to the last set are a bit big.
    Fair enough, whatever works!

ReputationRep:

this is my bro, I advised him to do it with the smaller increments after a few of my mates and a few people ive trained have had great success with it

especially because their weights arn't that high yet, if they were to use bigger increments then the first set would be the bar, the second another stupid weight, and only the last set would be taxing

I remember bringing this up with powerlifter a while ago, almost a year ago now I think, he said both ways work, but the smaller increments mean a much bigger poundage

anyway like I said, Ive found it works better for more novice lifters, the people i've seen use it have had great results, and that was even smaller increments - 2.5kg a set, so it would go:

first set - 100kg
    second - 102.5
    third - 105
    fouth - 10.7
    fifth and final - 110

ReputationRep:
    I'd agree with the smaller increments at those weights.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by commandant)
    this is my bro, I advised him to do it with the smaller increments after a few of my mates and a few people ive trained have had great success with it

especially because their weights arn't that high yet, if they were to use bigger increments then the first set would be the bar, the second another stupid weight, and only the last set would be taxing

I remember bringing this up with powerlifter a while ago, almost a year ago now I think, he said both ways work, but the smaller increments mean a much bigger poundage

anyway like I said, Ive found it works better for more novice lifters, the people i've seen use it have had great results, and that was even smaller increments - 2.5kg a set, so it would go:

first set - 100kg
    second - 102.5
    third - 105
    fouth - 10.7
    fifth and final - 110

Fair enough, I think I'd find that too taxing though! (in your example anyway). My squats tend to go like 75, 85, 95, 105, 115 and that's hard enough :p:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I'd make the contention that if your numbers are suitable for such small jumps, you'd be better served with novice programming and making workout to workout gains. The overall kilogramage will be much higher that way. I'm not sure how robust the programming is for someone who is almost doing five sets across.

Good luck anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smack)
    I'd make the contention that if your numbers are suitable for such small jumps, you'd be better served with novice programming and making workout to workout gains. The overall kilogramage will be much higher that way. I'm not sure how robust the programming is for someone who is almost doing five sets across.

Good luck anyway.
    just going from experience mate, it works very well

ReputationRep:
    Week 1 Day 2

Usually wouldnt go to the gym the next day, but I wont be able to go tomorrow, so I may aswell have gone today

Squat:
    50 x 5
    60 x 5
    70 x 5
    70 x 5

Deadlift:
    105 x 5
    110 x 5
    115 x 5
    120 x 5

Was better than I thought it would be

Press:
    37.5 x 5
    40 x 5
    42.5 x 5
    45 x 5

Might drop the weight a bit for this as the last few reps were pretty hard. Dont want to stall too soon.

Assistance: 3 sets of weighted situps.

ReputationRep:
    Are you using the Excel spreadsheet?

You should be nowhere near stalling yet, not until at least past week 4. Because you are meant to do you 5rep max's in week 4, and weeks 1-2-3-4 are just light and easy, and working up to your 5rep max's which you can do already...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Khanage)

You should be nowhere near stalling yet, not until at least past week 4. Because you are meant to do you 5rep max's in week 4, and weeks 1-2-3-4 are just light and easy, and working up to your 5rep max's which you can do already...

Im sort of using the spreadsheet for the final set, look up a few posts and look what commandant said

ReputationRep:

he's just completed the 5x5 program using the spreadsheet, and tested his 1 reps

now he is doing the same program, just with different poundages, so that the increments are smaller, which is inevitably a little harder

ReputationRep:
    Ah.. ignore me then lol. Should read before posting!

ReputationRep:
    Just thought id find the post I made a few years back for you too see

(Original post by http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=15833861&postcoun t=7091)
    (Original post by Peter North)
    Got a question for the powerlifter type guys out there...

Ive been doing my squats with my mate, who is on bill starrs 5x5 program

With my mate, the squat session would be 5 sets, ramping weight up to your 5rm, so say my 5rm was 120, it would be:

110 * 5
    112.5 * 5
    115 * 5
    117.5 * 5
    120 * 5

I was just looking at the Bill Star template, and I typed in the correct numbers etc, and it is telling me that I should be doing this (120 5rm)

60 * 5
    75 * 5
    90 * 5
    105 * 5
    120 * 5

So, my question is, which should I do?

Cheers
    (Original post by powerlifter)
    I would opt for the first one.

Ideally I think it would be best to do 5 x 5 with the same weight, it is totally brutal but effective. If you are capable of doing no 1 for eg I would say go for 5 x 5 at about 115, then build up that way.

The second lot would be more for advanced lifters imo who know thier limitations and such and aim for one top end set rather than a series of compound work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by commandant)
    Just thought id find the post I made a few years back for you too see
    I think I'll give this a go then because thinking about it I reckon it would be more effective. Most of my sets atm are a bit pointless I guess.

ReputationRep:
    Week 1 Day 3

Bench and rows were fine, going to drop the weight a bit for squats next week

ReputationRep:
    Week 2 Day 2

Squat:
    50 x 5
    55 x 5
    60 x 5
    65 x 5

Deadlift:
    110 x 5
    115 x 5
    120 x 5
    125 x 5

Press:
    35 x 5
    37.5 x 5
    40 x 5
    42.5 x 5

So far so good. Ordered some Ironwork III the other day, so hopefully they should have arrived when I go home on friday

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.