57.5 x 5
    60 x 5
    62.5 x 3
    45 x 5

Row:
    45 x 5
    47.5 x 5
    50 x 5
    53.75 x 5 (Was meant to be 52.5kg, but my friend put a 2.5kg plate on one side instead of a 1.25kg :facepalm: )
    55 x 3
    40 x 8

ReputationRep:
    Week 3 Day 1

Squat:
    70 x 5
    75 x 5
    80 x 5
    85 x 5
    90 x 5

Bench:
    52.5 x 5
    55 x 5
    65 x 5 (Was mean to be 57.5kg, but i got the weights wrong )
    60 x 5
    62.5 x 5

Row:
    45 x 5
    47.5 x 5
    50 x 5
    52.5 x 5
    55 x 4 (was rushed and didnt have much rest between sets)

Some pricks in the gym today, a bunch of rugby guys, like 8 of them thinking they owned the place. They seemed pissed off with me because I was using the squat rack when they wanted to, saying I should squat properply with proper shoes (I wear converse). When I finished they then proceeded to put 120kg on the bar staight away and do half squats why shouting at each other.

Also turns out that my friend (who was at the gym with me) almost had a fight with one of them on a night out bacause he had a go at his friend for accidcentally bumping into him. Might explain why they were being dicks.

Oh well, **** happens

ReputationRep:
    nice progress, I'm on exactly the same plan and its awesome feels a little easy to start with...... dw bout those douches I'm sure you'll surpass them soon enough, its personal trainers at commercial gyms I can't take.... because you can't really tell them to **** off!

btw converses are fine.... I wear nike air basketball trainers... because they're comfy, bare foot is nice for me too.... dw about lifting shoes as long as your comfortable in converses thats cool

the sheer amount of lads who play rugby and cant squat properly always astonishes me

in my unigym, where I guess 95% of the unis rugby players train, I can pick about 3-4 who squat properly, the rest half squat, and think they own the place because they're "rugby boys"

just ignore them, at some point they're bound to do some reading (i hope), and find out they squat completely wrong, in the meantime, you'll overtake them, and they won't be able to say anything. I'm not exactly a strong squatter, but because I squat deep, all the rugby **** look in awe

(Original post by redbuthotter)
    dw about lifting shoes as long as your comfortable in converses thats cool
    if you havn't got weightlifting shoes, then converse are the second best option - you'll see many competitive powerlifters wearing them

Is the heel on your airs a bit like a running shoe would be? If it isn't solid, its a bad idea squatting in them - rippetoe likens squatting in running shoes to squatting on a bed. you want to try something with a completely solid heel, or otherwise completely flat soled (converse, slippers, barefoot, sambas etc)

anyway, if the **** say anything again, just tell them to search on google

ReputationRep:
    lol don't you have a 190 squat or sthn... thats pretty strong if you ask me.... but I know what you mean... I'm shooting for 180 and I think its pretty average... I want top 1% strengh...

As for shoes everyone keeps telling me to switch but does it REALLY make your numbers go up... especially with PL squats... not oly. I have some converses and I havn't broken them in/they're slightly tight... so I'm reluctant to wear them.... Could you mayb try wearing some basketball trainers to squat and see if your numbers actually go down? Because most people who give advice didn't try this yet. I squat with nike air... so big squishy soles ftw!

(Original post by commandant)

ReputationRep:
    lol don't you have a 190 squat or sthn... thats pretty strong if you ask me.... but I know what you mean... I'm shooting for 180 and I think its pretty average... I want top 1% strengh...

As for shoes everyone keeps telling me to switch but does it REALLY make your numbers go up... especially with PL squats... not oly. I have some converses and I havn't broken them in/they're slightly tight... so I'm reluctant to wear them.... Could you mayb try wearing some basketball trainers to squat and see if your numbers actually go down? Because most people who give advice didn't try this yet. I squat with nike air... so big squishy soles ftw!
    This video sums it up pretty well http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TrJfO...eature=related
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I don't really think the point of proper shoes is necessarily outright getting your numbers up, solely by means of a proper (and more expensive) shoe.

They provide a stable, non-compressible base, to squat from, with a heel wedged in since this benefits most people in the (Olympic - remember Olympic shoes are primarily for oly weightlifter's benefits) lifts.

Chucks are better than a running shoe (so is just about everything), though. In the meantime, I'd try out barefoot.

Megaloblastic,

Ignore the pricks. You'll soon be squatting a lot more than them.

Forgive them, for they know not what they do.

ReputationRep:
    I can see where your coming from... and I do squat barefoot when PT's arnt around... and I've seen the rip video explaining why you need a firm base... but to be honest I'm "used" to squatting in squishy bball trainers and I love it.... I can't see the reason in switching if numbers won't go up....

(Original post by Smack)

ReputationRep:
    It's not just about the heel/sole. (Although that is very important) Canvas shoes like converse are also good because they give a bit as your feet and knees push outwards.

It's not like you'll put on some better shoes and suddenly be able to squat 20kg more, but if you're squatting in running shoes at the moment then technically it WILL improve your numbers over time because it's going to make a difference even if it's not an immediately huge one.

ReputationRep:
    I'm squatting in basketball shoes... not running shoes, and why would it improve my numbers, does anyone have any proof... like could someone try squatting in bball shoes and c if their numbers go down?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    No-one's going to do that for you. If you can't see why not a single powerlifter or Olympic lifter squats in running shoes then you have my condolences.

ReputationRep:
    Ok guys, this is a decent blog, let's not turn this into another Arse_Master's Annoyingly Asinine Attempt At Analingus.

ReputationRep:
    Week 3 Day 2

Squat:
    50 x 5
    60 x 5
    70 x 5
    70 x 5

Deadlift
    110 x 5
    115 x 5
    120 x 5
    125 x 5

Press:

37.5 x 5
    40 x 5
    42.5 x 5
    45 x 5

And for the hell of it, me and my friend tried my 1 rep max for press
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I got 60kg

ReputationRep:
    Do you not feel sick afterdoing those deadlifts.

After a few sets, i'm literally feel like i'm about to spew. :sick:

nice press as well - strict?

ReputationRep:
    It has happened to me before when I deadlift, but it hasnt happened recently

And yeah, twas strict. Took a good 5 seconds to get past the sticking point tho

video or it didnt happen

haha good stuff

ReputationRep:
    Week 3 Day 3

Squat:

72.5 x 5
    77.5 x 5
    82.5 x 5
    87.5 x 5
    92.5 x 3
    67.5 x 8

Bench:
    55 x 5
    57.5 x 5
    60 x 5
    62.5 x 5
    65 x 3
    50 x 8

Row:

45 x 5
    47.5 x 5
    50 x 5
    52.5 x 5
    55 x 3
    45 x 8

ReputationRep:
    Week 4 Day 1

Squat:

72.5 x 5
    77.5 x 5
    82.5 x 5
    87.5 x 5
    92.5 x 5

Had the bar in the low bar position, seemed a bit weird at first but I should get used to it pretty soon.

Bench:
    55 x 5
    57.5 x 5
    60 x 5
    62.5 x 5
    65 x 5

Row:
    45 x 5
    47.5 x 5
    50 x 5
    52.5 x 5
    55 x 4

Failed on the last one, didnt touch my chest. Should get it next week.

Im going to start learning power cleans now
    I did some hang cleans at the end with the empty bar, and then 30kg. Gonna get a vid soon and post it on the starting strength forum so rip can rip into my form :yy:

I see what you did there

ReputationRep:
    Week 4 Day 2

Squat:
    50 x 5
    60 x 5
    70 x 5
    70 x 5

Deadlift:

112.5 x 5
    117.5 x 5
    122.5 x 5
    127.5 x 5

Press:
    37.5 x 5
    40 x 5
    42.5 x 5
    45 x 5

So heres a vid of my hang clean form, im going to learn to do power cleans - its like the second time Ive done them, so any constructive criticism is welcome

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 27, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered fitness blogs threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.