Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Heya everyone, ive asked a couple of questions about accommodation already but well as the title suggests does anyone have any photos of Court, south or North?? If not any views on them, which is better of the 3 etc.

I think Cardiff will be my choice, now im just thinking a bit more into accommodation.

Which accommodation are you in? What do you like/hate about it?

And which would you recommend?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I'm in talybont north in the average sized rooms and I love it. The rooms are a decent size and have lots of storage space for all your stuff. The internet generally works well but occassionally goes a bit slow. Cleaners come in once a week and they do a decent job. Also Talybont North is really close to the tesco superstore...Taly south and court are a fair walk away and may be a pain for carrying heavy shopping bags. My only complaint is that sometimes when something breaks down they can take a while to fix it but that would happen in any halls.
    Talybont South has a little shop in it which I guess can be quite handy but there are also rumours of cockroaches and silverfish infestations in some of the south houses.
    Talybont Court is extremely posh and very modern plus closest to the uni but is also the most expensive of the three and furtherest away from tesco.
    I wouldn't recommend taking one of the reduced rooms if you can help it...they are pretty small and if you can afford the normal size you will probably prefer it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxhoneyxx04)
    I'm in talybont north in the average sized rooms and I love it. The rooms are a decent size and have lots of storage space for all your stuff. The internet generally works well but occassionally goes a bit slow. Cleaners come in once a week and they do a decent job. Also Talybont North is really close to the tesco superstore...Taly south and court are a fair walk away and may be a pain for carrying heavy shopping bags. My only complaint is that sometimes when something breaks down they can take a while to fix it but that would happen in any halls.
    Talybont South has a little shop in it which I guess can be quite handy but there are also rumours of cockroaches and silverfish infestations in some of the south houses.
    Talybont Court is extremely posh and very modern plus closest to the uni but is also the most expensive of the three and furtherest away from tesco.
    I wouldn't recommend taking one of the reduced rooms if you can help it...they are pretty small and if you can afford the normal size you will probably prefer it.
    Ah okay thanks for that. Deffo helping me!!

When you say cleaners that come in- what do they clean??
    When i was at uni before, we didn't have cleaners at all if we had ensuite, not for anything!

thanks

ReputationRep:
    Four years ago (seems like longer than that!) I posted some photos of the room I'd had in Talybont South. I lived there 2003/4 which might as well be ancient history now!

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=191210

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexa123)
    Ah okay thanks for that. Deffo helping me!!

When you say cleaners that come in- what do they clean??
    When i was at uni before, we didn't have cleaners at all if we had ensuite, not for anything!

thanks
    They just clean the kitchen, not your room or bathroom.

Talybont North is the cheapest, and hence has the smallest rooms and kitchens, but it's closer to Tesco which you'll appreciate when you have to carry many bags of food home. I don't think space is really a problem, haven't heard anyone complain about it. Although South and Court are generally nicer (you have your own thermostat in your room and stuff lol) and it's newer - whilst I've been here the flush on my toilet and the light in my room broke, the oven stopped working and the fridge started leaking, but they fixed those quite quickly.

Overall, I don't think it's much worse than Court/South, unless you're fussy or don't mind spending the extra money it won't be too bad, personally I'd rather spend it on something else, and I hear Court is full of rahs.

ReputationRep:
    I highly recommend Colum Hall as an alternative to Talybont. It's just as lively as Talybont, but because it's split into two buildings of 64 rather than lots of smaller houses you tend to get to know a lot more people more easily. Also, it's much more protected from the outside world; most people don't know it's there so you hardly ever get dicks hanging about making trouble. Also, it has the biggest kitchens anywhere apart from Talybont Court because it has 8 to a flat!

I've posted some pictures on this thread.

ReputationRep:
    It really depends what you are looking for. I lived in South last year and wish I'd been in North. Some pros and cons of each.

North

Pros:
    Great sense of community
    Near to Tescos
    Cheap

Cons:
    A bit further away from lectures
    Smaller accomodation
    Looks like an abandoned mining town

South

Pros:
    Is like one constant party throughout the year
    Good access to amenities, takeaways etc.

Cons:
    Very noisy even around exam times
    Silverfish infestions in pretty much every flat
    Not as close-knit as North

Court

Pros:
    Very nice for halls (you get a breakfast bar!)
    Closest to lectures
    Internal flat relationships tend to be best here

Cons:
    Ages away from Tescos, you'll probably end up walking the extra distance to Lidl
    Flats tend to keep themselves to themselves
    Expensive
    Full of 'mommy and daddys' boys and girls

As for the person recommended Colum Hall, I'd have to disagree. I had friends there last year and they spent a lot of time in Talybont as they found living in Colum Hall meant they lost out on feeling they were in the centre of university life in Cardiff. Having said that, if you want a quiet place to live, close to university and town, with bigger rooms, it's ideal. You just take away a lot of what university is about..

ReputationRep:
    thanks for all the info guys!

God i really don't know what to decide. I was in Cardiff today so walked up the accommodation way- to see the distances etc. but obvs wasn't much of a look and it hasnt really helped me decide. I don't wanna choose it but my the all girls hall (i think) is just soo gorgeous from the outside!

James when you say 64 in each, does that mean all the "8 per flat" are connected or what? As in what is different about it compared to say 8 to a flat in talybont?? Im just confusing myself now!

I know i will never get a complete balance of having a flat that is the most sociable, close to lectures and shopping etc. all in one, but still don't know what i feel is the best option- graah! -- and ive been to uni before, so it's not like it's my first time in halls.

Is south really mega noisy? I know there is bound to be some noises in halls but where i was last year it wasn't too bad but i think thats because security told people to be quiet. Im rubbish at sleeping if its mega bad.
    I would prefer somehwere closer to lectures but obviously that does mean i would have to walk quite a way to get my shopping.

ReputationRep:
    James when you say 64 in each, does that mean all the "8 per flat" are connected or what? As in what is different about it compared to say 8 to a flat in talybont?? Im just confusing myself now!
    Actually, scratch that... there's actually 48 in one building and 64 in the other, with 112 total...

As for the flat of 8 thing, what I mean is that nowhere else has that many people in one flat, which means you get a large kitchen for much less money than you would if you lived in Talybont Court, and in my opinion the 8 in a flat thing is a bonus because you can go out just as a flat and still feel like you're in a fairly big group. And no, the flats are separate, you can't get from one to the other without a key.

(Original post by Tomby1)
    As for the person recommended Colum Hall, I'd have to disagree. I had friends there last year and they spent a lot of time in Talybont as they found living in Colum Hall meant they lost out on feeling they were in the centre of university life in Cardiff. Having said that, if you want a quiet place to live, close to university and town, with bigger rooms, it's ideal. You just take away a lot of what university is about..
    I really don't think Colum Hall was quiet at all. Obviously you don't meet so many people, but I don't think that's a bad thing. People still had massive flat parties and went out several nights a week, the only difference was that it was a smaller community than Talybont. University is what you make it.

ReputationRep:

I know i will never get a complete balance of having a flat that is the most sociable, close to lectures and shopping etc. all in one, but still don't know what i feel is the best option- graah! -- and ive been to uni before, so it's not like it's my first time in halls.

Is south really mega noisy? I know there is bound to be some noises in halls but where i was last year it wasn't too bad but i think thats because security told people to be quiet. Im rubbish at sleeping if its mega bad.
    I would prefer somehwere closer to lectures but obviously that does mean i would have to walk quite a way to get my shopping.
    I'm not the best sleeper in noisy places and if you're the kind of person that goes to bed before midnight any night of the week, South is probably best avoided It's not so bad after that as people obviously don't tend to all come back together but tend to leave in packs.. If I'm not out I go to bed after midnight anyways so it didn't really affect me so much

Taly is quite a way from the town centre, but the Tescos but it is massive! You can literally find pretty much everything you need there. Colum Hall is only about 5-10 minutes walk from Lidl, but obviously Lidl doesn't have everything you need. It's an extra 10 minutes on top of that to get into town.

Being close to lectures is great, but you'll find lots of people on your course in Taly and you do tend to walk down in packs. It's really useful if you've been out the night before to have a couple of people ringing you up to shout at you to get a move on and go to lectures..

I really don't think Colum Hall was quiet at all. Obviously you don't meet so many people, but I don't think that's a bad thing. People still had massive flat parties and went out several nights a week, the only difference was that it was a smaller community than Talybont. University is what you make it.
    True, but that's a lot more like 2nd/3rd years when you have a house. Still I went into Colum Hall a few times and it's a nice place and very convienient for lectures!

-----

P.S. If you still have to fill out that accomodation form, you'll probably find you don't get your first choice anyways.. I think I got my 3rd? (I had Taly North, Colum Hall and Taly South - in that order) Just get the form in early enough and if you can't choose between them, pick the order out of a hat. All 3 are good - though I'd recommend North over South as I said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXx_pUnK_pOp_pRiNcEsS_xXx)
    They just clean the kitchen, not your room or bathroom.

Talybont North is the cheapest, and hence has the smallest rooms and kitchens, but it's closer to Tesco which you'll appreciate when you have to carry many bags of food home. I don't think space is really a problem, haven't heard anyone complain about it. Although South and Court are generally nicer (you have your own thermostat in your room and stuff lol) and it's newer - whilst I've been here the flush on my toilet and the light in my room broke, the oven stopped working and the fridge started leaking, but they fixed those quite quickly.

Overall, I don't think it's much worse than Court/South, unless you're fussy or don't mind spending the extra money it won't be too bad, personally I'd rather spend it on something else, and I hear Court is full of rahs.
    North and South are the same price per year, although North reduced are cheaper. And I know plenty of people in Court who I would never call 'rahs'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howells)
    North and South are the same price per year, although North reduced are cheaper. And I know plenty of people in Court who I would never call 'rahs'.
    Before they started renovating North the two were different prices. In fact I think as recently as last year you just paid the same price regardless of whether you ended up in a renovated block or not (I could be wrong about that), but they've clearly tipped the balance the other way over the summer so that the majority are the same quality as South and hence the same price.

ReputationRep:
    Name:  taly room.jpg
Views: 5558
Size:  268.4 KB
    Name:  taly kitchen.jpg
Views: 2755
Size:  187.3 KB
    Name:  taly kitchen 2.jpg
Views: 1565
Size:  127.0 KB

Here are pictures from talybont south. We were in a flat of 4, hence only seating for 4.
    There were no infestations of silver fish, yes you found the odd one but nothing that extreme! I know a girl whos in taly court this year (the supposed posh ones) and they had a cockroach infestation!!

My room was out the back (not overlooking the courtyards and people didnt walk past it) so it was nice a quiet (bar the trains which u get used to) and cool.

I loved talybont, i miss the sociable side of halls, like before you all went out everyone from the house would congregate in a kitchen and drink!

ReputationRep:
    If you go for North, try not to end up with one of the old reduced rooms. I ended up with one of those. It's OK and you get used to it but the bigger Taly North flats are much nicer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tomby1)
    P.S. If you still have to fill out that accomodation form, you'll probably find you don't get your first choice anyways.. I think I got my 3rd? (I had Taly North, Colum Hall and Taly South - in that order) Just get the form in early enough and if you can't choose between them, pick the order out of a hat. All 3 are good - though I'd recommend North over South as I said.
    What??!! are you serious, was your offer conditional or unconditional btw, mine will become unconditional in april after my CRB check and blood screen check - but its unconditional apart from that - i picked taly court as my first choice this week, do u think ill get it or will it be full already

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qazwsx123)
    What??!! are you serious, was your offer conditional or unconditional btw, mine will become unconditional in april after my CRB check and blood screen check - but its unconditional apart from that - i picked taly court as my first choice this week, do u think ill get it or will it be full already
    If you're unconditional you'll get assigned before all the conditionals, so you'll definitely get your first choice.

I've said this hundreds of times on this forum; the date you apply has very little to do with whether you'll get your first choice or not, because they do them in batches ordered by the date that your offer is changed from conditional to unconditional. Within each batch the date you applied is the order they'll assign people, but people in the later batches will find that they won't be able to get into the popular places because the earlier batches have already filled those places.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RightSaidJames)
    If you're unconditional you'll get assigned before all the conditionals, so you'll definitely get your first choice.

I've said this hundreds of times on this forum; the date you apply has very little to do with whether you'll get your first choice or not, because they do them in batches ordered by the date that your offer is changed from conditional to unconditional. Within each batch the date you applied is the order they'll assign people, but people in the later batches will find that they won't be able to get into the popular places because the earlier batches have already filled those places.
    ohh okay my offers conditional atm tho - i think itll turn unconditional in april - will they early batches have beaten me do you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qazwsx123)
    ohh okay my offers conditional atm tho - i think itll turn unconditional in april - will they early batches have beaten me do you think?
    No no, they don't start sorting out accommodation until July/August.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by not-another-number)
    If you go for North, try not to end up with one of the old reduced rooms. I ended up with one of those. It's OK and you get used to it but the bigger Taly North flats are much nicer.
    How small compared to a normal room are they because I've heard the reduced rooms are a bed and two walls which is kind of worrying me as its my second choice. Do you still get a desk and wardrobe like the normal sized rooms?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lloyd -r-)
    How small compared to a normal room are they because I've heard the reduced rooms are a bed and two walls which is kind of worrying me as its my second choice. Do you still get a desk and wardrobe like the normal sized rooms?
    Yeah there is still a desk, an en-suite bathroom, a wardrobe, shelves above the desk etc.
    I am back up there on Sunday. I will take some photos and upload them here for you.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.