Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone else think that the cancellation of sport studies at Russell Group Unis is absolutely ridiculous?

For starters: first and second year students have just wasted 1/2 years of their lives studying for a degree that won't exist next year, not to mention the PhD students who have devoted all that time and effort for nothing.

Secondly: Are these students goingto get all their money back? Tuition fees are one thing, but what about accommodation and how much student life has cost them in general? Will they truely get EVERYTHING back?

Last of all: Surely the ideal solution would be to let the people who have started the course finish what they started? It's just stupidly unfair.

I don't know much about the cancellation so please correct me if I've made a mistake, but according to everyone here at Southampton, it's more than a rumour; it's a fact that it's going to happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cadge)
    Does anyone else think that the cancellation of sport studies at Russell Group Unis is absolutely ridiculous?

For starters: first and second year students have just wasted 1/2 years of their lives studying for a degree that won't exist next year, not to mention the PhD students who have devoted all that time and effort for nothing.

Secondly: Are these students goingto get all their money back? Tuition fees are one thing, but what about accommodation and how much student life has cost them in general? Will they truely get EVERYTHING back?

Last of all: Surely the ideal solution would be to let the people who have started the course finish what they started? It's just stupidly unfair.

I don't know much about the cancellation so please correct me if I've made a mistake, but according to everyone here at Southampton, it's more than a rumour; it's a fact that it's going to happen.
    what the hell is sport studies?

That just sounds like a really naff degree...

And who the hell does a PHD in it?!?

Thats crazy...

ReputationRep:
    source? what's happened? good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiwiguy)
    what the hell is sport studies?

That just sounds like a really naff degree...

And who the hell does a PHD in it?!?

Thats crazy...
    That's not relevant to the discussion. I just feel sorry for the students out there who have devoted all that time and effort for nothing.

ReputationRep:
    well ive heard about it but id be surprised if it was confirmed.. and surely they would just stop new entrants into it - and continue the course for people already on it, if they decide to do so, rather than just end peoples courses early

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cadge)

Not really, would they not be able to do it at other universities outside of the Russell Group?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cadge)
    That's not relevant to the discussion. I just feel sorry for the students out there who have devoted all that time and effort for nothing.
    Yeah, on a degree thats worthless... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    When courses are stopped they don't stop immediately. They finish the degree, but don't accept new entrants. And PhD students don't quite work in the same way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Linweth)
    Not really, would they not be able to do it at other universities outside of the Russell Group?
    Not sure, there doesn't seem to be a source on the internet, but according to everyone here it's definitely happening.

If they could transfer to a different Uni it might be a bit fairer, but if they have to start the course all over again then it's still not acceptable.

ReputationRep:
    Well how would you feel if UWE was knocked down and no one cared because they saw it as a "worthless" Uni?

ReputationRep:
    Sauce!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cadge)
    Not sure, there doesn't seem to be a source on the internet, but according to everyone here it's definitely happening.

If they could transfer to a different Uni it might be a bit fairer, but if they have to start the course all over again then it's still not acceptable.
    Youll likely find that the course continues just next year their is no 1st years and the year after the final year graduates. Thats what happening with pharamacology at Sunderland ie my year (2nd years) where the last to be admitted onto the course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cadge)
    Well how would you feel if UWE was knocked down and no one cared because they saw it as a "worthless" Uni?
    Two points, im not saying that Southampton is a worthless uni, its actually a pretty good one, unless you mean solent, then i laugh.

Secondly, UWE is also a pretty good uni, you should look up where it came in the Top Uni list last year, might surprise you.

Thirdly, im saying the degree itself is a waste of space, and since you arent doing it, why are your knickers in SUCH a twist?

Fourthly, what has the uni said? Nothing official judging by your OP, so again, why the knickers in a twist?

ReputationRep:
    Two points, im not saying that Southampton is a worthless uni, its actually a pretty good one, unless you mean solent, then i laugh.

Secondly, UWE is also a pretty good uni, you should look up where it came in the Top Uni list last year, might surprise you.

Thirdly, im saying the degree itself is a waste of space, and since you arent doing it, why are your knickers in SUCH a twist?

Fourthly, what has the uni said? Nothing official judging by your OP, so again, why the knickers in a twist?
    I'm not insulting UWE, I'm using it in an example of ignorance.

And the reason my knickers are in a twist is because I have friends here who study it, and funnily enough I happen to care about them.

I can't seem to find anything official, but everyone here is certain that it's going to happen. I wouldn't be surprised if it's being kept as quiet as possible.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I thought it was only Southampton, not Russell Group universities in general?

In any case, Southampton is phasing out Sports Studies courses and foundation courses in Youth Work. Basically, it's phasing out the School of Education's undergraduate degrees.

Also, I italicised the words phasing out because this is what's happening. Current students will remain on their course, graduate, and receive their BSc Sports Studies, but no new entrants will be taken on.

Personally, I couldn't care less. The Sports Studies course is pretty much worthless. It's a mishmash of various disciplines centred around sports. Basically they study the economics of sport, the politics of sport, the psychology of sport, the history of sport, the culture of sport, and so on, but in fact they do very little actual 'sport science' related work compared to say those doing BSc Sport Science at Loughborough.

Also, Prof. Nutbeam has been quoted in The Independent as saying other disciplines within the School of Social Sciences and School of Humanities will go as well. The whole exercise is in making Southampton a better university and also making it more profitable and keeping only the subjects that bring in money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .ACS.)
    I thought it was only Southampton, not Russell Group universities in general?

In any case, Southampton is phasing out Sports Studies courses and foundation courses in Youth Work. Basically, it's phasing out the School of Education's undergraduate degrees.

Also, I italicised the words phasing out because this is what's happening. Current students will remain on their course, graduate, and receive their BSc Sports Studies, but no new entrants will be taken on.

Personally, I couldn't care less. The Sports Studies course is pretty much worthless. It's a mishmash of various disciplines centred around sports. Basically they study the economics of sport, the politics of sport, the psychology of sport, the history of sport, the culture of sport, and so on, but in fact they do very little actual 'sport science' related work compared to say those doing BSc Sport Science at Loughborough.

Also, Prof. Nutbeam has been quoted in The Independent as saying other disciplines within the School of Social Sciences and School of Humanities will go as well. The whole exercise is in making Southampton a better university and also making it more profitable and keeping only the subjects that bring in money.
    I was at Southampton a while a go for a series of seminars and I think for the last few years Southampton and Exeter have gone down the same road - cut out the costly departments, get rid of courses that draw in students with low A-level grades, give extra cash to research departments so they can build research capacity and submit more (and larger) research grant bids, invest cash in brand new buildings and refurbishments etc.

With regards to Southampton's School of Ed. (which I know well), the university is one of the traditional ones left that actually offer undergraduate degree courses in teacher training etc. Many traditional universities have dropped their undergrad teaching degrees, and some have dropped their undergraduate courses all together (with the view of focusing entirely on postgraduate courses and research). The School of Ed. at Southampton is a good school and isn't going anywhere. In fact, all the money they are saving is being reinvested (the School wants to employ 3 new full time professors and is currently accepting applications).

Southampton is doing what it has historically done - working to maintain its immense strength in research and preparing for the next RAE (2012?)

ReputationRep:

its not useless, sports is very relevant & useful in today's society...what gonna happen to ancient degrees being offered at oxford uni and other top dogs such as classics, & latin...what use are they to mordern society :rolleyes:

i love Arsenal studies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Linweth)
    awesome sig picture i heart grey's !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Winnieee)
    awesome sig picture i heart grey's !
    Thanks ^_^ I love Grey's too... such an awesome tv series :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clarkkent)
    its not useless, sports is very relevant & useful in today's society...what gonna happen to ancient degrees being offered at oxford uni and other top dogs such as classics, & latin...what use are they to mordern society :rolleyes:

i love Arsenal studies
    Im not saying that SPORTS are useless ****..

And latin is very useful for things like classical history and law...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 11, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.