Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .ACS.)
    I thought it was only Southampton, not Russell Group universities in general?

In any case, Southampton is phasing out Sports Studies courses and foundation courses in Youth Work. Basically, it's phasing out the School of Education's undergraduate degrees.

Also, I italicised the words phasing out because this is what's happening. Current students will remain on their course, graduate, and receive their BSc Sports Studies, but no new entrants will be taken on.

Personally, I couldn't care less. The Sports Studies course is pretty much worthless. It's a mishmash of various disciplines centred around sports. Basically they study the economics of sport, the politics of sport, the psychology of sport, the history of sport, the culture of sport, and so on, but in fact they do very little actual 'sport science' related work compared to say those doing BSc Sport Science at Loughborough.

Also, Prof. Nutbeam has been quoted in The Independent as saying other disciplines within the School of Social Sciences and School of Humanities will go as well. The whole exercise is in making Southampton a better university and also making it more profitable and keeping only the subjects that bring in money.

:lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .ACS.)
    I thought it was only Southampton, not Russell Group universities in general?

In any case, Southampton is phasing out Sports Studies courses and foundation courses in Youth Work. Basically, it's phasing out the School of Education's undergraduate degrees.

Also, I italicised the words phasing out because this is what's happening. Current students will remain on their course, graduate, and receive their BSc Sports Studies, but no new entrants will be taken on.

Personally, I couldn't care less. The Sports Studies course is pretty much worthless. It's a mishmash of various disciplines centred around sports. Basically they study the economics of sport, the politics of sport, the psychology of sport, the history of sport, the culture of sport, and so on, but in fact they do very little actual 'sport science' related work compared to say those doing BSc Sport Science at Loughborough.

Also, Prof. Nutbeam has been quoted in The Independent as saying other disciplines within the School of Social Sciences and School of Humanities will go as well. The whole exercise is in making Southampton a better university and also making it more profitable and keeping only the subjects that bring in money.

Well the Humanities one to go will blatantly be film studies, as I can't see him cancelling english, history, modern languages, philosophy, and the archeology department has recently received a massive amount of funding so that won't go, that's quite annoying for me and my friends on the same course. It's sad that less people be able to follow their interests at Southampton because of money. In relation to sport studies, I guess higher education is becoming more of a business than whatever it used to be, like football going from beautiful to a load of coorporate *****.

If he cancels the courses people are keen to go on he'll have his nuts kicked in and be forever known as Prof. Beam.

******** to it, as long as I'm (and everone else are) allowed to graduate I won't make too much of a fuss.

ReputationRep:
    hey,

as much as i feel for the students doing the degree i completly see why its being cancelled. i did the 1st year last year and hated it because of all the reasons its being stoped for. there is no science involved at all and is pretty much a useless degree unless u want to be a teacher or go into the forces or police. now happy at oxford brookes doing a much better course but yh not suprised its beong pulled. however the manner the school of ed told the students and lecturers: apparently they all just got an email before xmas saying it was under review to be cancelled!!! i think thats appauling! dus anyone no how things are going as to when its going or if the appeal is being taken seriously?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by jessbug)
    hey,

as much as i feel for the students doing the degree i completly see why its being cancelled. i did the 1st year last year and hated it because of all the reasons its being stoped for. there is no science involved at all and is pretty much a useless degree unless u want to be a teacher or go into the forces or police. now happy at oxford brookes doing a much better course but yh not suprised its beong pulled. however the manner the school of ed told the students and lecturers: apparently they all just got an email before xmas saying it was under review to be cancelled!!! i think thats appauling! dus anyone no how things are going as to when its going or if the appeal is being taken seriously?
    Well, Prof. Nutbeam said the course would be phased out, and no new entrants would be taken on, but those currently on the course would still be able to graduate as per normal. This was sent in an email. However, the School of Education and those who run the Sports Studies programme have apparently told students that it's being cancelled with immediate effect in hopes of getting students to protest and also by misrepresenting what is actually happening will get more non-affiliated students 'on their side' so to speak.

ReputationRep:
    well i just think how it was managed re: telling ppl what was happening and how it was going to be carried out was awful. students should have heard it from the head of school of ed. not in an email. think its appauling that they treat students who are paying them thousands of pounds that way. and the lecturers shouldnt have told the students it was going to be cancelled immediatly so they wudnt b able 2 finish their degree. that would cause so much worry! im just glad i left the course wen i did!! the course itself isnt much cop tho so not suprised they want it gone.
    im guessing ur a soton student: do you no how the appeal or w/e is going in regards to the course as im interested 2 c what happens as i no ppl there!

ReputationRep:
    Let's be honest, it's a degree not worth having. Go learn something proper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Al0n)
    Let's be honest, it's a degree not worth having. Go learn something proper.
    'Proper' is a subjective term.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.