Turn on thread page Beta

I pull out my own hair watch

ReputationRep:
    Is this normal?

Edit: It's not just the hair on my head. EVERY hair on my head I pull out, yeah that's right down there too.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. This is how wigs are made.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nitez)
    Is this normal?
    :lolwut:

what do you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James')
    Yes. This is how wigs are made.
    You mean this is why wigs are made....

ReputationRep:
    Not Normal.

Not normal but this does exist

http://kidshealth.org/teen/your_mind...illomania.html

Saw it on the sex eduacation show

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nitez)
    You mean this is why wigs are made....
    No. I really did mean how. Right now, there's a small little man near you, collecting your pulled out hair, he's a sly one.

ReputationRep:
    it'd called trichotillomania and it's more common than people think. see your GP.

ReputationRep:
    No. I really did mean how. Right now, there's a small little man near you, collecting your pulled out hair, he's a sly one.
    Oh I understand now, you're a joke poster. Sorry man, although the title may fool people into thinking this is a joke topic, it's actually very real.

So with that said, please close the door on your way out.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I used to have a friend with trichotillamania.. you can control it, just try and be aware that you're doing it and force yourself to stop so it doesn't become a really bad habit.

In answer to your question, no it's not 'normal'. It's like having a nervous twitch or something.

ReputationRep:

Ahaha! Great reply :top2:

ReputationRep:
    I'm so glad I'm not a girl with it though. I can't pull it out when it's short even if I try, so I just have to keep it trimmed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nitez)
    Oh I understand now, you're a joke poster. Sorry man, although the title may fool people into thinking this is a joke topic, it's actually very real.

So with that said, please close the door on your way out.

Thanks.
    Alright, please send me a lock of your hair in the post to remember you by though x

ReputationRep:
    Alright, please send me a lock of your hair in the post to remember you by though x
    Will do.

Buh-bye now.

x

ReputationRep:
    pulling out your own hair is most likely stress related, or a depression side effect, either way it's obviously something psychological if you can't stop yourself from doing it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nitez)
    Is this normal?
    You have to ask....:lolwut: Pulling out your hair is usually stress related.....why don't you just stop......unless you want to have bald patches...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the.white.rabbit)
    You have to ask....:lolwut: Pulling out your hair is usually stress related.....why don't you just stop......unless you want to have bald patches...
    WAY easier said than done.

Ohhh I used to do this with my eyebrows. It has a name, but I forget it, usually stress related. Feels so satisfying though.
    Everytime you feel yourself doing it, occupy your hands with something. Eat an orange, or put hand cream on to make your hands kind of slippy. Or do anything until you forget about the urge!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Ohhh I used to do this with my eyebrows. It has a name, but I forget it, usually stress related. Feels so satisfying though.
    Everytime you feel yourself doing it, occupy your hands with something. Eat an orange, or put hand cream on to make your hands kind of slippy. Or do anything until you forget about the urge!
    Best advice of the thread.

ReputationRep:
    It's called Trichotillomania I have it. I do it to my eyelashes too when I'm stressed.

You'll have to learn to cope with your stress in other ways.

ALWAYS have something in your hands, it'll help loads. Most I went was 4 months without pulling.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 1, 2010
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.