Turn on thread page Beta

I pull out my own hair watch

(Original post by nitez)
    Is this normal?

Edit: It's not just the hair on my head. EVERY hair on my head I pull out, yeah that's right down there too.
    Welcome to the annoying world of trichotillomania. Good luck (Y)

I would give advice if I could, but I can't work out how to stop myself so it wouldn't be much use lol

(Original post by nitez)
    Best advice of the thread.
    No problem! Just thought of another one I used to do - if you're a girl, paint your nails. There is no way I would risk getting nail varnish on hair, so it worked really well.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the.white.rabbit)
    You have to ask....:lolwut: Pulling out your hair is usually stress related.....why don't you just stop......unless you want to have bald patches...
    Easier said that done if it was that easy the people like me who suffer from it would have stopped. The most you can do is try to control it.

It's close to OCD and it plays on your subconcious. I'm not sure about other suffers but I've met others with it who feel this way, it's like I go into a trance when I do it and don't have control over my hands in a sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nitez)
    Is this normal?

Edit: It's not just the hair on my head. EVERY hair on my head I pull out, yeah that's right down there too.
    Hi OP,

I have it too. And I know what you mean by EVERY hair, like all over your body. It's really hard to stop. I think most people don't understand because they associate pulling out hair with unpleasant feelings, but for us it's the other way about. It feel good and is really theraputic, I know.

I used to do it on my head at the start, and a lot of the time I don't realise I was doing it because it was just a habit, but i started getting a bit of a bald patch so I decided to stop. First of all I told my friends. Don't be embarrassed, just try and explain to them how you feel and that you really need to stop doing it, and ask them to shout at you if they catch you doing it! You don't have to tell them that you do it "down there" as well, if you don't want to. But the will remind you to stop if you are doing it on your head without noticing.

When you're alone though, or if you ARE aware of it, but you just have a major urge to do it, there's really nothing for it except to just be really really strong and tell yourself that it's not worth it. One thing that I found helpful was reminding myself how GOOD it felt in half an hour later, after the craving had passed, and being so proud of not doing it. That's a good feeling.

I don't do it on my head or eyelashes anymore because I'm too vain and got out of the habit of it, I still get urges sometimes but I do still do it on my legs and everywhere else really.

Anyway, if it's any help, I did see a psychologist, not because of the hair pulling, but I mentioned it and she wanted to talk about it, so we did. She actually told me that as long as it isn't bothering me, it's not doing me any harm, so I can keep doing it if I enjoy it. But if it is bothering you, you can get help with it. I'd try on your own first though, try internet forums. It is possible, I've done it, well on my head at least.

Best of luck xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nitez)
    Is this normal?

It's called trichotillomania, I have it too... It happens when I'm stressed out and I'm a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to looks, so whenever I feel that a strand of hair isn't 'perfect', I pull it out. My condition isn't really bad though, I still have a head full of hair. If it becomes really bad, you should see a doctor and you'll be given some medication.

ReputationRep:
    I did the same 3 days ago. Although it wasn't all my body hair. And I did use a shaver. And it was mostly just my pubes. But now it itches like hell. I feel your pain :console:

ReputationRep:
    It can lead to self harm too according to a couple of self harmers I know so, yeah... don't do it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spinnerette)
    ALWAYS have something in your hands, it'll help loads.
    :yep: Did this to stop myself picking my fingers so much, blu tac worked best for me.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 1, 2010
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.