Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emmgrem)
    Well, I'm in Ranmoor this year (newest student village) and I've got 2 flatmates who have come straight from gap years in my flat of eleven. So it can't all be true that they get put together
    Not sure about Ranmoor to be honest, I didn't work there but I know for a fact that in Endcliffe all Gap Years are put in Derwent unless there are no spaces left in Derwent, in which case they will be allocated elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    I've got Sheffield down as my insurance, can I apply for accommodation at Sheffield as well as at my firm?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stacy_j91)
    I've got Sheffield down as my insurance, can I apply for accommodation at Sheffield as well as at my firm?
    Yes you can! And should as then you are more likely to get somewhere nice if they allocate you in aug when they know you are not going to your firm rather than later.

ReputationRep:
    why is ranmoor seen to be not as good as endcliffe? i know its not as big but surely thats not it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lobster29)
    why is ranmoor seen to be not as good as endcliffe? i know its not as big but surely thats not it?
    I think it's because it doesn't have the edge - which is a big plus for students. Also perhaps as it's older - but that's just a guess. It's apperently quieter at Ranmoor too.

ReputationRep:
    oh right, seems fair. well are you applying for accommodation at sheffield? and if so to which building cos im very confused :P

(Original post by racoon97)
    I think it's because it doesn't have the edge - which is a big plus for students. Also perhaps as it's older - but that's just a guess. It's apperently quieter at Ranmoor too.
    It does have 'The Ridge' though, the Ranmoor equivalent of 'The Edge'.

ReputationRep:
    oh right, seems fair. well are you applying for accommodation at sheffield? and if so to which building cos im very confused :P
    I'm not sure where you apply for, I assumed you just apply for "Encliffe"

ReputationRep:
    Its basically exactly the same as Endcliffe, just further away from the Uni, slightly less within walking distance.
    There are lots of roumers of it being 'quieter' but I'm not sure this is necessarily true. Its in its first year so there are less people on here that can rave on about it.
    I loved Endcliffe, but I'm sure had I been in Ranmoor I'd have loved it too!

The Ridge bar is the alternate to the Edge, but for some reason its never open and there is a massive stigma attached to it which is weird as its the same, if not cheaper than its Endcliffe sister!

ReputationRep:
    So gap-yearers are all grouped in Derwent, does that mean that you can't preference anywhere else that you'd like to go should Derwent be full up? And how likely is it do you think that Derwent will be full? From the website I can't seem to find any information exclusively about Derwent. Is there any additional information anyone can tell me? THANKS!

ReputationRep:
    Oh I went to the open day today and this seemed to be their message:
    It's not first come first served in terms of when you apply but when they have confirmation of your results. Gap year people and those that had deferred will be allocated a room between mid-July and early August. Those that are waiting on results will be allocated places as soon as the university has been notified of your results, assuming you've got enough to get in. Apparently, it depends the speed UCAS get your results to Sheffield, as to how quickly you are allocated. Sometimes there can be holdups in administration etc which will have a bearing on your application.

This is only what I heard, I may have got the wrong end of the stick. Hope it helped clear up things for people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucible)
    Oh I went to the open day today and this seemed to be their message:
    It's not first come first served in terms of when you apply but when they have confirmation of your results. Gap year people and those that had deferred will be allocated a room between mid-July and early August. Those that are waiting on results will be allocated places as soon as the university has been notified of your results, assuming you've got enough to get in. Apparently, it depends the speed UCAS get your results to Sheffield, as to how quickly you are allocated. Sometimes there can be holdups in administration etc which will have a bearing on your application.

This is only what I heard, I may have got the wrong end of the stick. Hope it helped clear up things for people
    That is completely true! This is exactly how people come to be placed!

As for Derwent being full, it always is, but if your unconditional and apply for Endcliffe you will either end up there or another block that is filled before results day.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: February 24, 2010
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.