Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

need to be able to run 10 miles in 1 hour watch

ReputationRep:
    i have a long way to go, i can run for 45 minutes at about 6 miles an hour. any tips on how to reach my goal?

ReputationRep:
    get the distance first. then build up the speed.

um and other than keep pushing yourself, cant really think of anything specific :/

if you really have to stop running after 45 minutes, then walk for a couple of minutes then start running again. keep pushing youself till you've actually done the distance, even if you had to walk part of it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by didgeridoo12uk)
    get the distance first. then build up the speed.

um and other than keep pushing yourself, cant really think of anything specific :/

if you really have to stop running after 45 minutes, then walk for a couple of minutes then start running again. keep pushing youself till you've actually done the distance, even if you had to walk part of it
    I push myself an extra 2 and a half minutes every time i run on the treadmill (which is every other day). Also, someone mentioned to me that interval training was a good way of rapidly getting fitter, do you know if thhere’s any truth in that?

ReputationRep:
    Try setting some short term goals first. 10 miles in an hour is a seriously high standard of running and you're miles away from it at the moment. Not saying it's impossible but I'd focus on something acheivable more quickly first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deeper)
    I push myself an extra 2 and a half minutes every time i run on the treadmill (which is every other day). Also, someone mentioned to me that interval training was a good way of rapidly getting fitter, do you know if thhere’s any truth in that?
    Yeah, fartlek training.

Go for runs outside too, it's so much better, don't rely on the treadmill.

ReputationRep:
    Get Nike-plus blud

ReputationRep:
    good luck buddy.

ReputationRep:
    Why on earth do you need to be able to run that fast?

ReputationRep:
    Run outside...especially if your test is going to be based outdoors. Its less boring and helps with mantaining body temp etc making it more comfortable...yeah just keep at it, get some rocky on the iPod

ReputationRep:
    Have you actually been training yet or are you asking us before you've even tried the old "just run a lot" idea?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ciawhobat)
    Have you actually been training yet or are you asking us before you've even tried the old "just run a lot" idea?
    yeh i started training about 6 weeks ago

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TommyWannabe)
    Why on earth do you need to be able to run that fast?
    army selection

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jimber)
    Run outside...especially if your test is going to be based outdoors. Its less boring and helps with mantaining body temp etc making it more comfortable...yeah just keep at it, get some rocky on the iPod
    yeh you're right

ReputationRep:
    army selection
    Army selection is 1.5 miles in 11.5 minutes, AFAIK, which anyone but the seriously unfit should manage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kash:))
    Yeah, fartlek training.

Go for runs outside too, it's so much better, don't rely on the treadmill.
    can you tell me a bit about fartlek training please?... do you need hills for it?

ReputationRep:
    army selection
    you don't need to run that fast to join the army. i'm confused.

ReputationRep:
    can you tell me a bit about fartlek training please?... do you need hills for it?
    It's interval training.

Mix up running at comfortable pace with sprints and faster running.

Clicky

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Planto)
    Army selection is 1.5 miles in 11.5 minutes, AFAIK, which anyone but the seriously unfit should manage.
    Yeah I think that's the one. It should be pretty easy to be honest, I can do 2 miles in that time and I'm not even much of a runner.

There is no chance in hell the army would need 10 miles in an hour for selection because so few people in the army would manage this. Maybe for something like the SAS (not that I'm aware of them using long distance runs in their selection - they do big walks with full packs though) it would be reasonable, but for the regular army? Not a chance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chumbaniya)
    Yeah I think that's the one. It should be pretty easy to be honest, I can do 2 miles in that time and I'm not even much of a runner.

There is no chance in hell the army would need 10 miles in an hour for selection because so few people in the army would manage this. Maybe for something like the SAS (not that I'm aware of them using long distance runs in their selection - they do big walks with full packs though) it would be reasonable, but for the regular army? Not a chance.
    it's not exactly the one minute mile... i doubt i could do it, and i dont know as i would never bother running for that long. however i have averaged that sort of time over 1,2 and even up to 5 miles.

ReputationRep:
    No way is that for the regular army. 10 miles in an hour is FAST! I'm a decent runner and I don’t think I could manage that!

Get to the point where you can run for an hour at your current speed, when you’re able to do that start running faster for the hour. Have a decent diet, and generally exercise well, swimming is good too as you stress your joints less but still gain cardio fitness. As someone above said- run outside and not on a treadmill, running on grass is good too. 10 miles in an hour is crazy fit! Best of luck!

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.