The Student Room Group

Roaccutane users, did you feel uncontrolable mood changes

I kind of need your help.

I've been on 40mg a day since 16th of September... my skin was extremely bad back then, and all i wanted was for it to clear up. It's cleared up so much now, to the point where i am pleased with how i look.

However, I have started to feel depressed since i came back from the christmas holidays, then about a week or two in i was feeling pretty depressed, but since last thursday/friday i've been feeling extremely depressed (and self harming every single day - Note: i do have a past of minor self harm before start roaccutane.), and at a moment of thinking panic last saturday night, i dont know if i had a suicidal thought, it felt like one, it's just very hard to say

Also I smoke synthetic cannabinoids(as in the new LEGAL ones that have came out, not the old illegal ones TSR.) and you know what else i smoke, can't say because it's against the rules, but cmon it's obvious. Quite clearly, I think either the roaccutane, or the green drugs are adding to what ever is happening to me..... but its all came down on me so suddenly, and btw i've only been smoking them stuff since november, i started mainly because i was feeling a bit low (as always have done: Awww how traumatic. Yeah. I know.).

my question is: Did anyone who used Roaccutane feel any changes to their mood AFTER their skin cleared up... because i want to keep on roaccutane until 7 months, like planned, since i've came all this way, i want to make sure... and im really not in a right state of mind atm, so yeah, tell me that im stupid for doing all this
Reply 1
I've had three cycles of roaccutane in the past 5 years and I started my 4th cycles last month. It has the most dramatic side-effects of any pill ive ever taken. Depression, mood-swings and anxiety is extremley common, especially for patients that have the treatment during puberty (messes with the hormones). The depression and suicidal thoughts u describe having are more than likely caused by the roacutanne, however drugs is not going to help in anyway and will probable cause more intense anxiety. I hope knowing this will help you adopt a more positive mind-set, at the end of the day it is only 7 months you have to tolerate these NASTY side-effects and I have been advised by my dermatologist that most people never have severe acne again. (Apparently I'm an exception to the rule) haha. If you have any questions about the drug/side-effects or how to deal with the depression then message me, i have lots of roaccutane experiance :smile:
Reply 2
Anonymous
I kind of need your help.

I've been on 40mg a day since 16th of September... my skin was extremely bad back then, and all i wanted was for it to clear up. It's cleared up so much now, to the point where i am pleased with how i look.

However, I have started to feel depressed since i came back from the christmas holidays, then about a week or two in i was feeling pretty depressed, but since last thursday/friday i've been feeling extremely depressed (and self harming every single day - Note: i do have a past of minor self harm before start roaccutane.), and at a moment of thinking panic last saturday night, i dont know if i had a suicidal thought, it felt like one, it's just very hard to say

Also I smoke synthetic cannabinoids(as in the new LEGAL ones that have came out, not the old illegal ones TSR.) and you know what else i smoke, can't say because it's against the rules, but cmon it's obvious. Quite clearly, I think either the roaccutane, or the green drugs are adding to what ever is happening to me..... but its all came down on me so suddenly, and btw i've only been smoking them stuff since november, i started mainly because i was feeling a bit low (as always have done: Awww how traumatic. Yeah. I know.).

my question is: Did anyone who used Roaccutane feel any changes to their mood AFTER their skin cleared up... because i want to keep on roaccutane until 7 months, like planned, since i've came all this way, i want to make sure... and im really not in a right state of mind atm, so yeah, tell me that im stupid for doing all this

It's a known side effect of roaccutane your doctor warns you about before prescribing, I think it's mentioned on the leaflet that comes with them too. I think the risk is still there while you are on the drug.

You should contact your doctor about it anyway.
Reply 3
i've not had any (though only been on it a month) but it is a really common side effect, especially if you are already prone to depression etc (which you imply by saying you've self-harmed before), i think you should go see your doctor. i think side effects can come at any time during the treatment, even if your skin has cleared up, because it is obviously still in your system and is till a month after you stop. roaccutane is a total beast of a drug!! i mean i know it works but some of the side effects can be horrendous...i've had really bad back/joint pain and have had to cut down my exercise quite a bit because of it. anyway good luck.
Reply 4
I was on roaccutane at the age of 14. Yes it caused me to have mood swings, but I can't say that I was depressed. It's stated as a side effect of the drug, and they could well be contributing towards your depressive behaviour, however I don't think that it would be causing it completely. Did you mention to your dermatologist that you have suffered a history of depression?
I'd also recommend giving up on the smoking as that itself causes neurological changes, paranoia being the main one but I imagine it can contribute to depression also.
A combination of a high dosage of vitamin A (roaccutane), along with your smoking can't be doing you much good now can it?

On a positive note; I can safely say roaccutane changed my life, I became far more sociable after I was clear.

Latest

Trending

Trending