Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I'm having a bit of a hard time at Uni at the moment. I've developed a weird *anxiety* sort of thing which is making me really uncomfortable about going to lectures and doing anything at Uni at all :/

Was really freaked out last week (more than usual) and couldn't face going to any of my lectures, so I decided to do something I'd never usually do and booked myself in for a counselling sesh with the university.

I'm quite worried about opening up and explaining my problem to a complete stranger but I'm even more worried about how confidential what I say will be.

I graduate in around 4 months or so and the sector I'm going into usually requires background checks to be carried out on potential employees.

I do NOT want my counselling information accessible to future employers. I don't even want them to KNOW that I've been to counselling!

I've been told that whatever I say is "kept strictly between myself and the counsellor" but I know that background checks are pretty sneaky and can bypass a lot of these little data protection rules.

I've tried to do some digging on Google and stuff but haven't come across anything Would be really grateful if anyone has any info at all

Cheers TSR!

(Bumped as this took a while to approve)

ReputationRep:
    Anything you say is confidential apart from if you or anyone else is in danger. It really helps and I honestly don't think anything you say (as it isn't physically harming you or someone else) will be told or passed on. Also, whatever your line of work, councelling won't even be recorded in your background checks. Good luck

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't worry tbh, it's all private and no one finds out about anything apart from the person you're talking to. I've found talking to a complete stranger helpfull once i began opening up[:

ReputationRep:
    It will be completely confidential

so, employers can get in to your medical records then? to snoop for stuff like depression and other stuff?

ReputationRep:
    100% confidential, unless you tell the counsellor you plan to blow up your uni or something. Then they might tell someone. I would highly reccomend it, I went through something very similar a few months ago and talking to someone who wasn't part of my life was so helpful, I am so much better now. Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    so, employers can get in to your medical records then? to snoop for stuff like depression and other stuff?
    No, you may have to declare certain things for specific occupations, but otherwise no they can't.

ReputationRep:
    It's all really private and between you and your counsellor, the only time they have to tell someone is if you say you're going to commit suicide, kill someone else (and really mean it) or if you're selling drugs, anything else is really, really, really confidential

(Original post by clair1987)
    No, you may have to declare certain things for specific occupations, but otherwise no they can't.
    ok thanks. and good. those snooping *******s.

ReputationRep:
    it depends on the employer and they need your permission. Bit obviously of you don't give permission you ain't gonna get the job.

About the counselling OP, don't worry it's highly unlikely any background check would reveal this. It's not like you're going through your GP so it won't be logged on your medical record or anything so there isn't really anything for a background check to uncover other than the usual criminal records/medical.

ReputationRep:
    They will have to ask for your permission, and you will always been given a chance to see your medical report before it goes to your employers.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 2, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.