The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
500 definitely but while you're at it I'd recommend you look at the Sony MDR EX 300
Reply 2
Well they're pretty much the same, with the main difference being the 500s have a volume control built in. Depends whether you want that feature or not. Personally, my CX300 IIs have been brilliant. :smile:
I liked my 500's until one of the earphones got stuck around door handle and tore off. I still mourn that loss because I haven't replaced it.
Reply 4
Sorry meant to say MDR EX 500
Reply 5
Btw, where would anyone say is the best place to buy Sennheisers/similar earphones? Just looking at play.com now, cx-300 II for £15, is that the best there is?
I can't seem to find many MDR EX 500s around except for in the apple store, do you have any links to eshops which sell them?

tallgeese
Btw, where would anyone say is the best place to buy Sennheisers/similar earphones? Just looking at play.com now, cx-300 II for £15, is that the best there is?

That's a pretty good price tbh, link?
Diaz89
Sorry meant to say MDR EX 500

they cost around 50-60 pounds which is far more expensive than cx30011/500, which are around 10-15 pounds on play.
Reply 8
Numberone-outkast
they cost around 50-60 pounds which is far more expensive than cx30011/500, which are around 10-15 pounds on play.

They're about £45 on amazon and a good investment. You have to look at it beyond its price tag. The headphone is the most important thing you'll need (besides the mp3 ofcourse) and so you might as well buy something that will recreate the best possible sound and 45 quid isn't that much given how long they'll last you. The CX500 is too high and can get a bit painful at times, while the MDR EX500 is much warmer and fuller.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B001FWXELO/ref=cm_cr_pr_hist_5?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&filterBy=addFiveStar

P/S when I first bought the CX500 they were about 40 quid on play.
Diaz89
They're about £45 on amazon and a good investment. You have to look at it beyond its price tag. The headphone is the most important thing you'll need (besides the mp3 ofcourse) and so you might as well buy something that will recreate the best possible sound and 45 quid isn't that much given how long they'll last you. The CX500 is too high and can get a bit painful at times, while the MDR EX500 is much warmer and fuller.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B001FWXELO/ref=cm_cr_pr_hist_5?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=0&filterBy=addFiveStar

P/S when I first bought the CX500 they were about 40 quid on play.

no doubt they are going to sound awesome ive got the mdr-ex082lp which are quite cheap but sound good and nice for my liking. I Tend to loose things, or my family tends to borrow and never give back so 45 quid out of my price tag but they are probably worth it.
Reply 10
ElegantElephant™
I can't seem to find many MDR EX 500s around except for in the apple store, do you have any links to eshops which sell them?

That's a pretty good price tbh, link?

http://www.play.com/Electronics/Electronics/4-/3509717/-/Product.html

found these just now too, think i'll go for these before they're gone, seems too cheap to be true :o:
Reply 11
tallgeese

found these just now too, think i'll go for these before they're gone, seems too cheap to be true :o:

I bought similar ones a couple months back, their definitely genuine with the gold connector. Also seem to be the latest model with their weird eco packaging (cardboard box basically).
Beta Brainwavz Pro £14.47 (9/10)
http://mp4nation.net/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9_51&products_id=308

Soundmagic Pl-50 £39.99 (10/10)
http://www.pricethriller.com/soundmagic-professional-pl50-isolating-stereo-headphones-pl-50-p-355.html

or slighty cheaper is the Creative EP-830 In-ear Headphones
Around £8 off play.com
tallgeese

That's because it most likely IS too cheap to be true. There are a tremendous amount of fake CX series headphones out on the market, even on Play.com which is a generally reliable site. The average retail for a pair of CX500's is around £35 - £40, so I wouldn't recommend paying anything that's far below that, because it's most likely to be a fake.

Also someone said the CX-300's are essentially the same as the CX-500's, which isn't true. It's pretty widely accepted that the CX-500's are quite a lot better than the CX-300's. So I'd definitely recommend the CX-500's over the CX-300's.
Reply 14
You Failed
That's because it most likely IS too cheap to be true. There are a tremendous amount of fake CX series headphones out on the market, even on Play.com which is a generally reliable site. The average retail for a pair of CX500's is around £35 - £40, so I wouldn't recommend paying anything that's far below that, because it's most likely to be a fake.

Also someone said the CX-300's are essentially the same as the CX-500's, which isn't true. It's pretty widely accepted that the CX-500's are quite a lot better than the CX-300's. So I'd definitely recommend the CX-500's over the CX-300's.

Wish you'd said that like 2 hours ago, already clicked the Confirm Order button :o: oh well, let's hope for the best

& I understand most probably are fake at that price, but I bought some cx300s on ebay a few months ago for £9, were real, so I guess I'm saying not all at cheap prices are, but let's hope my CX500s are real in 3-4 working days:smile:
tallgeese
Wish you'd said that like 2 hours ago, already clicked the Confirm Order button :o: oh well, let's hope for the best

& I understand most probably are fake at that price, but I bought some cx300s on ebay a few months ago for £9, were real, so I guess I'm saying not all at cheap prices are, but let's hope my CX500s are real in 3-4 working days:smile:

You could always cancel your order if you only placed in 2 hours ago. It's up to you, I mean if you get them and they do turn out to be fakes (Apart from the bad sound quality, it can be hard to tell the fakes) then you could always try and return them, there is still the chance they could be genuine, it just seems a bit unlucky considering the retail price compared to this price and the amount of CX fakes around.

See, £9 on ebay for CX-300's I'd say are more likely to be real, mainly because you get a lot of people selling stuff on ebay that they got for birthdays etc that they have no use for and just sell them cheaply to get something back. Also, coupled with the fact that CX-300's retail for only like £20 anyway then it seems a bit more reasonable. Still, you should be careful when buying anything like this online, just do a bit of research to see if there are a lot of the item you're buying that are fakes and be cautious of where you buy them.
Reply 16
You Failed
You could always cancel your order if you only placed in 2 hours ago. It's up to you, I mean if you get them and they do turn out to be fakes (Apart from the bad sound quality, it can be hard to tell the fakes) then you could always try and return them, there is still the chance they could be genuine, it just seems a bit unlucky considering the retail price compared to this price and the amount of CX fakes around.

See, £9 on ebay for CX-300's I'd say are more likely to be real, mainly because you get a lot of people selling stuff on ebay that they got for birthdays etc that they have no use for and just sell them cheaply to get something back. Also, coupled with the fact that CX-300's retail for only like £20 anyway then it seems a bit more reasonable. Still, you should be careful when buying anything like this online, just do a bit of research to see if there are a lot of the item you're buying that are fakes and be cautious of where you buy them.

Turns out they were real, & pretty amazing deal considering how good the quality is, & came with this purse-looking thing & looads of replacement earbuds lol, but do appreciate your thoughts anyway
You probably bought seconds, they're technically the same thing but they get sold in bulk by the factory for cheap because of imperfections in the packaging. I ended up going for the CX500s, found a genuine cheap pair on eBay.
Reply 18
ElegantElephant™
You probably bought seconds, they're technically the same thing but they get sold in bulk by the factory for cheap because of imperfections in the packaging. I ended up going for the CX500s, found a genuine cheap pair on eBay.

I think that's just it actually, as in the imperfections in the packaging, it said it would come with a cable winder (don't actually know what that is) but didn't but if I'm honest didn't cause too much despair without it,

How much were your ones on eBay?
tallgeese
I think that's just it actually, as in the imperfections in the packaging, it said it would come with a cable winder (don't actually know what that is) but didn't but if I'm honest didn't cause too much despair without it,

How much were your ones on eBay?

The ones I bought form ebay had small defects in the packaging but other than that they were the proper article. Quite strange that yours didn't come with the cable winder, you sure you didn't drop it while opening the packaging or something like that? Anyhow, it's nothing special, just an oddly shaped piece of rubber.

Latest

Trending

Trending