Turn on thread page Beta

Guys, could you fancy a girl who's pretty but has very little confidence? watch

I am pretty ( I don't mean to sound big-headed at all), but I am extremley shy with people who aren't my close friends/family. I've heard a lot of people talk about how I'm the prettiest at work and uni, and many have told me I am. The problem is that guys never seem to want to get to know me, and seem to always go for confident girls. I was wondering if any of you would ever fancy a girl you found really pretty, but had no confidence? Would you always choose a less pretty, more confident girl over her? Is confidence really the most attractive thing?

ReputationRep:
    Confidence is amazingly important. HOWEVER, i personally am seriously attracted to shyness, i think it's sweet. It just depends on the person i guess...

ReputationRep:
    Without wanting to sound bad, i would love to get with a girl with little confidence. She then relies on me to help build her up, which i would do with consumate skill. In exchange for some tlc.

If you're as good looking as you say, the guys probably want you and are settling. Good looks are much more attractive than confidence. Any plank can become confident, but good looks are a special, natural thing which mark you out as better.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I could. But if she was really shy, I might think she was not interested back.

ReputationRep:
    Picture? I think shy girls are really cute, definitely not a bad thing.

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't put me off assuming the shyness fades once you get to know someone, but whether or not we'd actually get talking in the first place would probably be the biggest obstacle. Also some guys seem to easily misinterpret shyness as being stuck up.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    If you're as good looking as you say, the guys probably want you and are settling. Good looks are much more attractive than confidence. Any plank can become confident, but good looks are a special, natural thing which mark you out as better.
    I really hope this is true, but I don't think it is. Does anyone agree with this? I just think that a lack of confidence makes people look like pathetic losers, which is hardly attractive

ReputationRep:
    if girls have low confidence, they tend to kind of not stare/hint/flirt with guys, and if you're like that, AND pretty, we assume you're taken.

ReputationRep:
    I am pretty ( I don't mean to sound big-headed at all), but I am extremley shy with people who aren't my close friends/family. I've heard a lot of people talk about how I'm the prettiest at work and uni, and many have told me I am. The problem is that guys never seem to want to get to know me, and seem to always go for confident girls. I was wondering if any of you would ever fancy a girl you found really pretty, but had no confidence? Would you always choose a less pretty, more confident girl over her? Is confidence really the most attractive thing?
    I would myself, extremely confident pretty girls can be intimidating. PM me? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Confidence isnt exactly more attractive, it just gets you noticed more. if you want people to show interest in you, you have to first show interest in them and talk to them. most people in the world are more bothered about things affecting them than whats affecting someone else, its just human nature. all you have to do is make the first move
    the best advice i can give is to read "How to win friends and influence people" by Dale Carnegie, its actually quite useful

ReputationRep:
    I really hope this is true, but I don't think it is. Does anyone agree with this? I just think that a lack of confidence makes people look like pathetic losers, which is hardly attractive
    Thanks.
    that boosted my confidence even further ^^

ReputationRep:
    uber shy girls get annoying after a while...

ReputationRep:
    Any woman who is even remotely pretty will get some male attention, however if you are shy then you may not being giving off the right signals and he may not realise that you are potentially interested.

Personally I cannot make generalistions over which girl I would prefer, the one that made me happiest I suppose. Shy is certainly cute but if they are unable to open up to you then the relationship could feel a bit hollow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sil3nt_cha0s)
    Yes, I could. But if she was really shy, I might think she was not interested back.
    This

We men are insecure creatures as well sometimes, occasionally we need it spelled out that you're interested.

ReputationRep:
    thats only for boys, in girls prettiness is more attractive.

[QUOTE=Ryan W]Wouldn't put me off assuming the shyness fades once you get to know someone, but whether or not we'd actually get talking in the first place would probably be the biggest obstacle. Also some guys seem to easily misinterpret shyness as being stuck up.[/QUOTE]

I don't think people think I'm stuck up. In fact, people see me as 'too nice', which probably is less attractive than being stuck up in most peoples eyes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Itchynscratchy)
    This

We men are insecure creatures as well sometimes, occasionally we need it spelled out that you're interested.
    :ditto: Occasionally it has to be REALLY obvious

ReputationRep:
    It could be a litlle awkward, but after all the over confident girls i my year, that i think it would be quite nice.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not gay to clarify...but I would think that it would depend HOW shy you were. I mean, you need to get a happy medium between being really loud and confident and being really quiet and not talking to people as that could make it come across as if you're not interested. I'd say I was pretty shy as well...as in I won't just go and approach people and start talking to them if I've never met them before...other people generally have to make the first move. Confidence can come across as arrogance and that's why I think shyness is more attractive...of course depending to what degree !

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 8, 2010
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.