Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Guys, could you fancy a girl who's pretty but has very little confidence? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    (Original post by Ryan W)
    Wouldn't put me off assuming the shyness fades once you get to know someone, but whether or not we'd actually get talking in the first place would probably be the biggest obstacle. Also some guys seem to easily misinterpret shyness as being stuck up.
    I don't think people think I'm stuck up. In fact, people see me as 'too nice', which probably is less attractive than being stuck up in most peoples eyes.
    It's freaky your like the same as me.

ReputationRep:
    It depends how you mean shy?

A lot of the time shy-ness is linked to a low self esteem, and so shy girls tend to be quite self deprocating and ask validating questions like "Do you like me?" a lot. That's very annoying. Or alternatively shy girls are sometimes very cagey about their feelings etc., which makes getting into a relationship pretty aggravating at the best of times.

If it's just shy as in, not very talkative about big groups, then that's fine. As long as a girlfriend is open with me, shyness in groups is kinda cute.

Personally, i'm more attracted to shy girls than confident ones. Go figure.

ReputationRep:
    If I had the choice (I wish) between a shy girl and a really confident girl who were both on par looks wise etc then I would have to pick the shy girl. I dunno why.

ReputationRep:
    yh why not..?????????

ReputationRep:
    I really hope this is true, but I don't think it is. Does anyone agree with this? I just think that a lack of confidence makes people look like pathetic losers, which is hardly attractive
    Whats worse is when your shy AND not a great looker
    So I rubbish at approaching people and never get approached myself! :O
    Which means people only realise I like them if Im drunk or my friends suggest it, which is NOT endearing!

but... most people manage to make it look endearing rather than pathetic! lol

ReputationRep:
    I prefer shy girls :yep:

ReputationRep:
    yes. would probably find shyness added to sexyness tbh unless to a ridiculous extent

ReputationRep:
    A shy girl I find really attractive. Certainly more than an arrogant, big-mouthed one.

ReputationRep:
    Shyness definitely makes you more mysterious =) I personally like girls that have shy tendencies but once you get to know them they really come out of themselves.

I think as long as you have good self esteem, being shy isn't really a problem!

ReputationRep:
    I am pretty ( I don't mean to sound big-headed at all), but I am extremley shy with people who aren't my close friends/family. I've heard a lot of people talk about how I'm the prettiest at work and uni, and many have told me I am. The problem is that guys never seem to want to get to know me, and seem to always go for confident girls. I was wondering if any of you would ever fancy a girl you found really pretty, but had no confidence? Would you always choose a less pretty, more confident girl over her? Is confidence really the most attractive thing?
    For me yes but i would loose interest alot faster compared to a confident girl.

A lot of you are saying that you find shyness attractive. But realistically, would you really put effort into trying to get conversation out of someone who is unconfident and difficult to make conversation with? Or would you find it easier to get to know someone more talkative and open?

ReputationRep:
    I adore shy girls. Shyness gives girls a kind of nobleness.

But of course you have to pay attention to the way you react when a guy approaches you for the first time. If you don't talk at all or don't look to the guy he may think you are arrogant. So even if you don't have the right words in mind, it is always good to keep smiling so that he knows that you don't mind him talking to you .

ReputationRep:
    Tricky one this, majority of girls are either over confident to the point of arrogance, or under confident and gas on about how fat/ugly they are when they're not.

I'm wary of girls with low confidence because I suspect they may just be settling for me rather than actually wanting me, so I avoid those types like the plague. I don't like having to constantly complement them every five seconds and have them get paranoid that every second I spend away from them I'm shagging someone else. It's tiring and extremely annoying.

Over confident ones I can live with, because I don't get into girls or get feeligns for them ever, so I expect them to screw up. So for me they're just about having fun with and you can have a lot of fun with them, but only on a short term basis. I'd never want to be in a long term relationship with one frankly.

So in answer to your question, not really, no. Every guy is different though.

ReputationRep:
    to be honest, if your hot and shy, then guys may avoid you...in my experience confident munters can defeat shy stunners, because confident girls come on to a guy and are easier....we (I) dont see the point in making an effort.....if i see a stunning girl and she wont talk to me- i assume its cos she is up herself rather than shy and i will find someone that comes on to me instead.....generally, not just in clubs etc.

ReputationRep:
    I am pretty ( I don't mean to sound big-headed at all), but I am extremley shy with people who aren't my close friends/family. I've heard a lot of people talk about how I'm the prettiest at work and uni, and many have told me I am. The problem is that guys never seem to want to get to know me, and seem to always go for confident girls. I was wondering if any of you would ever fancy a girl you found really pretty, but had no confidence? Would you always choose a less pretty, more confident girl over her? Is confidence really the most attractive thing?

I don't like girls to be too confident, or loud. But i wouldnt see a problem in dating one who wasn't confident at all. I'm sure she'd be confident around me, and that's all that matters.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's more likely that they do find you just as (or more) attractive than the confident girls but are probably intimidated as it requires more effort to get to know you and it's harder for them to know whether the attraction is mutual.

I used to be extremely shy, I still am quite reserved with people other than my mates. I also consider myself quite attractive (shyness and low self-confidence are two diff things I think) .One of my ex boyfriends told me he'd fancied me for ages before we got together but my shyness came across as indifference/lack of interest and he assumed I wasnt into him. This could be the case for you. It's true that some men do find confidence very attractive, but lots of guys find shyness really endearing..and more of a treat when they get you to open up.

(Original post by ellx)
    I think it's more likely that they do find you just as (or more) attractive than the confident girls but are probably intimidated as it requires more effort to get to know you and it's harder for them to know whether the attraction is mutual.
    But don't you think shy/unconfident girls come across as more boring than everyone else (even if they are not) because they say a lot less, and don't give as many opinions?

ReputationRep:
    I find it attractive in most instances

ReputationRep:
    I find the pretty unconfident ones much more attractive, plus I'd probably be too much of a coward to approach any of the obviously confident ones.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 8, 2010
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.