Turn on thread page Beta

RBS London vs BoA Merrill Hong Kong (Summer intern) watch

ReputationRep:
    hi guys, i understand this question seems pretty stupid one and all depends on whether i want to stay in london or start in hong kong. But would like to hear from you guys on the general side of this matter.

especially if i am looking to find a job in london after i finish uni (if we exclude the possibility of receiving a job offer straight away from RBS after the internship, - personal reasons)

thanks

p.s. both IBD

ReputationRep:
    anyone willing to share their ideas?

ReputationRep:
    Ok taking into consideration that you will NOT work for RBS after your internship then I would say Hong Kong. If you were willing to work for RBS as it is in London I would say take this immediately. As your RBS internship will not lead to a london job offer I say take Hong Kong, it will differentiate you from those who have done UK Internships and will offer you great overseas networking oppurtunities and a vastly different experience and culture to adapt to which you can talk about at interviews... Talk about facing a new challenge, forget a new city, a whole new country.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not going to be able to add anything too meaningful however think about the weather because in HK the weather is ******* horrible during summer - petty but it could piss you off a hell of a lot

ReputationRep:
    The BoA ML name is so much stronger than RBS right now, and if you've no intention of working for RBS after the internship then it's a bit of a waste of time.

ReputationRep:
    Since we're on this topic...Citi London IBD vs. BoA-ML HK IBK, given I'm looking for internship again next year, but only in London then.

Citi is in London and does marginally better in M&A. ML gives you better training and brand. Thoughts?

ReputationRep:
    So you guys think that if I want to apply to some other banks (not RBS) in London next year for full time, BoA ML Hong Kong would give me better opportunity?
    Basically, I would like to know how these two internship are placed in terms of exit opportunity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pierce&Pierce)
    Since we're on this topic...Citi London IBD vs. BoA-ML HK IBK, given I'm looking for internship again next year, but only in London then.

Citi is in London and does marginally better in M&A. ML gives you better training and brand. Thoughts?
    ML better brand? dont think so. remember its not BAML anymore, its Bank Of America vs Citi.

ReputationRep:
    ugh no ^^^^
    its most certainly bofa merrill lynch (in fact theyve brought back the bull) and yes, it is a stronger brand, due to the merrill investment arm and the fact citi , like rbs, still hasnt paid back government money

check on www.wallstreetoasis.com for a more clued up perspective op

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andy87)
    ML better brand? dont think so. remember its not BAML anymore, its Bank Of America vs Citi.
    :confused: yes it is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pierce&Pierce)
    :confused: yes it is
    Look, everyone I spoke to within BAML refers to it now as Bank of America and 1-2 years from now Bank of America WILL become its official name. But its not about the name anyway, the fact is A LOT of Merrill people have jumped ship to other BBs (to be more precise around 1/3 of their entire Merrill IBD is gone)

ReputationRep:
    The people I know in IBD there call it ML...

ReputationRep:
    everyone i know there refers to it as merrill, as does the press as does pretty much everyone apart from andy87 lol.

why are they spending millions on branding the merrill name if they want to get rid of it in 1-2 years?

losses in european ibd were higher than in s & t too, less than 10% of s and ters left

in american ibd they are smashing it

ReputationRep:
    I haven't checked, but when you guys go to apply for whatever, does the webiste (and its marketing blob) say BAML, ML, or BoA?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uthinkilltellu)
    I haven't checked, but when you guys go to apply for whatever, does the webiste (and its marketing blob) say BAML, ML, or BoA?
    BoA

ReputationRep:
    im kind of desperate for ideas here guys

ReputationRep:
    Hong Kong without a shadow of a doubt, the HK economy is going quite well, roaring compared to the UK's 0.1% recovery. And if you wanted to go back to London later you'd have a much better CV having been at BoA Merrill in HK I think.

The decoupling of the East Asian economy from damaged Western finance with the Chinese Keynesian fiscal stimulus (which they can actually afford unlike the UK) means that HK is a great place to be and has very bright prospects - Shanghai may be catching up, but its not sufficiently international and open yet, and when it eventually does overtake HK for China stuff, HK will still remain important and is a perfect launching pad to switch to working in Shanghai if you are up for that. London will certainly bounce back, but things are going to be very gloomy in the UK for the foreseeable future, and people are so unpleasant in such times, London will I think reemerge as the main Western hub of international finance for the BRIC economies and in the long term has a rosy future too, but I certainly wouldn't want to be at RBS this summer.

Plus if there is any greater retention rate at one or the other, which you have indicated is the case at BoA Merrill HK, you ought to choose it simply for that reason in the current economic climate.

Somebody said its hot in HK in the summer, yeah but there is Air conditioning absolutely everywhere indoors.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonjon123)
    BoA
    Then you'll be working at BoA.

ReputationRep:
    Hong Kong.

ReputationRep:
    so the reason for you to recommend hong kong is simply the brand of RBS vs Merrill??
    because you would defo choose merrill london than merrill hong kong right?

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.