Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi Everyone

I am set on a career as an international aid worker - particularly in the logistics sector, but not necessarily so - and I'm after some advice on getting in.

I am well travelled and have international voluntary experience working with both kids and animals - but not exactly in a humanitarian role.

I am currently stuck in a London office in a career which would be a god-send for many - but is the bane of my life.
    I have applied to a number of different NGOs (two I have applied to twice) for roles relating to my current experience as well as to entry-level internships. But I keep getting knocked back.

The problem is that I cannot afford to quit my job and simply volunteer full time for an NGO/charity - which I know would be the obivous solution (and incredibly tempting were it not for the financial consequences). Also, as I am a comuter into London I have less than and hour of free time to myself of a work day which is severely limiting my free time for more volunteer work.

Any advice on where I might be going wrong - on what avenues I could try - or how best to present myself in applications would be most welcome!

Thanks in advance
    Crash

ReputationRep:
    There are thousands of postgrads with travelling and voluntary experience out there applying to NGOs. They are not short of talented applicants with voluntary. NGOs want skills. If you want to go into logistics, what logistics experience do you have? If you want to go into comms with an animal charity, what comms experience do you have? What languages do you speak? How can you distinguish yourself from the rest.

Ask every charity for feedback - even if they're too busy, which in many cases they will be, at least ask.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Most of the jobs I have seen require a years experience in the field, the more experience you have the better.
    Have you looked at VSO? Theyhave a program for young people (YfD) that allows you to get experience in the field. I know it isnt humanitarian work, but it gets you in the field and they pay all your expenses. Also there are also programs run by Red R, Save the Children, BOND that help to get people with no experience in humanitarian work.
    If you want more info about VSO/YfD I am happy to give it as I am currently on the scheme

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.