Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi.

I'm incredibly indecisive. I thought I knew what I wanted to do with my life, and I have lots of nice offers to read English Lit at university. I've been aiming for English at uni since GCSE, since I found it really engaging. I came to the realisation today, however, that I'm good at Maths and English is too easy to bluff, and isn't even that rewarding anymore - I almost came to the impression that it'd be a shame to "waste my time" with an Arts degree. So, I'm thinking of doing a Science instead. There's several problems with this, the least being my tendency for indecisiveness...

Problems: parents moving house next year (same town, downsizing); financial burden on parents; indecisiveness in that I decide I really actually wanted to do English and am wasting my time; what if I get worse offers than I have already?; what if I fail?

What do you guys think? My results/UCAS is in my sig. If I did it, I'd be fastracking chem and physics at a-level next year with perhaps fm AS, with a view to read one of those at a quite well respected uni.

EDIT: Lack of GCSE scores and Uni... Uhoh. Editing in.

GCSE
    A*: English, English Lit
    A: Science, Additional Science, Maths, Geography, Spanish, French
    B: Fine Art, RE

UCAS
    Exeter - AAA
    Kent - ABC
    Ox. Brookes - ABB
    RHUL - AAB
    Waiting on KCL

ReputationRep:
    like you, i was good at both and after doing science a levels, which i loved and did well in, i changed my mind and went back to college so i could eventually study english. i do wonder how it would've been had i stuck with science but i'm more comfortable with my decision to study english, partly because of the ease of it - which you said you didn't like. i'd research as much as you can and be as comfortable in your decision, but i suppose english can engulf a larger plate of careers.

ReputationRep:
    I think you really need to think about this. Although I'm applying for maths, I sometimes wonder about whether I should of taken other subjects at A-Level like Economics, History and Philosophy. Perhaps one of them is 'right' for me. Although in all honesty the chances are I'd still be still be applying for maths with those subjects; I think it's pretty normal for us to wonder sometimes what it would've been like to go down a different academic route. Although subjects like Maths and English do require less effort if you have a natural flare, I doubt you'll have to worry about that at degree-level - I can't speak for English but I hear university level maths in a whole other league to A-Level maths.

It's a hard decision. If you go onto read English you may perhaps be annoyed with yourself that you never went down the science route, and if you do the science A-Levels you could realise that you prefer English, and feel you've wasted your time. I would probably suggest keeping your university offers and reading over the A-Level textbooks for chemistry/physics during the summer, you can always decide to cancel your choices on results day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milliondollarcorpse)
    It's a hard decision. If you go onto read English you may perhaps be annoyed with yourself that you never went down the science route, and if you do the science A-Levels you could realise that you prefer English, and feel you've wasted your time. I would probably suggest keeping your university offers and reading over the A-Level textbooks for chemistry/physics during the summer, you can always decide to cancel your choices on results day.
    Yeah... That's part of the problem with it, I think. I've had similar blips like this where I've thought "is this really what I want?" and ended up going straight back on the path I was on. I think English is okay, and I like reading and analysing text, but I think that I'd be better placed to get a scientific career/study something scientific while I have the ability, and then read stuff in my spare time. I'm gonna get the textbooks out the school library tomorrow and have a peek at them - I've seen the specifications online for the exam boards my school uses and they don't look too bad, although I'll need to revise some of the GCSE stuff in time for the start. I guess I'm not bound to anything, but the limit from my parents moving is kinda frustrating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muffinz)
    Yeah... That's part of the problem with it, I think. I've had similar blips like this where I've thought "is this really what I want?" and ended up going straight back on the path I was on. I think English is okay, and I like reading and analysing text, but I think that I'd be better placed to get a scientific career/study something scientific while I have the ability, and then read stuff in my spare time. I'm gonna get the textbooks out the school library tomorrow and have a peek at them - I've seen the specifications online for the exam boards my school uses and they don't look too bad, although I'll need to revise some of the GCSE stuff in time for the start. I guess I'm not bound to anything, but the limit from my parents moving is kinda frustrating.
    That's pretty much the reason I dropped English Lit, I personally found the subject took a lot of the enjoyment out of reading, and I realised I'd rather read in my spare time.

I wouldn't advise going down a scientific career path just because you're capable of doing so (or simply capable at GCSE for that matter). I think unless you're extremely dedicated you'll find it hard to do well in a degree unless you have an interest in the subject you're studying. Have you thought about what aspect of science interest you? Or is this solely thinking of the supposed career advantages?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milliondollarcorpse)
    I wouldn't advise going down a scientific career path just because you're capable of doing so (or simply capable at GCSE for that matter). I think unless you're extremely dedicated you'll find it hard to do well in a degree unless you have an interest in the subject you're studying. Have you thought about what aspect of science interest you? Or is this solely thinking of the supposed career advantages?
    I've been capable with the Sciences all throughout, and I kind of have the maths down already at A2 (yay c3 is easy), so I think that'll help alot. I can understand it, and it's a little bit challenging, and I think I'll enjoy that more than the mediocrities of analysing sentence moods for particular analysis. Science is always interesting, I'm forever watching all the Horizon shows and documentaries on telly (I know that's hardly equatable to study), but I generally find Chemistry and some aspects of Physics quite interesting. I think if I did something right now it'd be biochemistry, but I'd have to look into a lot of different things about it. I wouldn't be bored to tears about it unless it was something like plant cells (snore). An interesting career would be a nice benefit, but not the end goal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muffinz)
    I've been capable with the Sciences all throughout, and I kind of have the maths down already at A2 (yay c3 is easy), so I think that'll help alot. I can understand it, and it's a little bit challenging, and I think I'll enjoy that more than the mediocrities of analysing sentence moods for particular analysis. Science is always interesting, I'm forever watching all the Horizon shows and documentaries on telly (I know that's hardly equatable to study), but I generally find Chemistry and some aspects of Physics quite interesting. I think if I did something right now it'd be biochemistry, but I'd have to look into a lot of different things about it. I wouldn't be bored to tears about it unless it was something like plant cells (snore). An interesting career would be a nice benefit, but not the end goal.
    Well if you do have an active interest in science perhaps going to the school library and looking through some textbooks as you said is a good idea. Remember that even if you decide not to go down the science route you can still have an active interest in science (as you may still have with Literature the other way round). In fact you may find you prefer it that way, 'popular science' is probably more interesting for a lot of people compared to the sciences at A-Level.

Best of luck anyway

ReputationRep:
    I think it's one of those what couldn't you live without studying (indecisiveness aside)?

I found myself in a similar position blah years ago, at the last minute pulled out of UCAS (much to my mother's ire, since she'd paid train fare for 6 interviews), and went and did something totally different. Then in a fit of desperate I must go get a degree because all my friends have one I went to see someone at my then local university and somehow got into the 2nd Year of English, and realised it was just not for me and didn't challenge me in the way I wanted to be, and that I was right the first time.
    So now blah years later I've gone down the access route for doing science, and finally going to university to do it this September.

So from my own experience I'd go for doing those extra A levels and have thinking time to see where your heart lies. If nothing else you'll have the grades from this year ready for application if you decide you were right first time and it is actually English you love.

Good luck with the deciding.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Maybe you could have done a really bizarre dual honours combination at uni instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zottula)
    Maybe you could have done a really bizarre dual honours combination at uni instead.
    "English Literature and Biochemistry combined honours" lol :3 That'd be a happy compromise huh?

Anyway, thanks everyone. I'll just have to think about it more then persuade my parents to let me stay at college for another year :3

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.